Upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 ?

Soldato
I would be tempted to download treesize or something to see what's eating up your drive.

WUN6NJd.jpg

Main offenders on that list are :

Program Files - Steam - 43Gb Wolfenstein New Order texture files :confused:

Windows - winsxs (dunno what this is) and System32 - 7gb driverstore (dunno what this is either)

Users - Data files for Adobe Premier Elements. 17gb which can be deleted easily.

Pagefile.sys (cant be altered if i remember correctly or it will mess the system up?)
hiberfil.sys presumably this is the hibernation file for quick start up so can be disabled / cleaned?

Permabanned
Program Files - Steam - 43Gb Wolfenstein New Order texture files :confused: - delete all games I bet you don't play on them all.

Windows - winsxs (dunno what this is) and System32 - 7gb driverstore (dunno what this is either) - is windows rollback/update files. You can get rid of them no problem, keep driverstore.

Users - Data files for Adobe Premier Elements. 17gb which can be deleted easily. - delete

You also have a 11.9gb hiberfil file. Command from cmd is "powercfg -h off" - This is just a hibernation file and you can delete that too but reboot after.

Soldato
Program Files - Steam - 43Gb Wolfenstein New Order texture files :confused: - delete all games I bet you don't play on them all. - not played New Order yet! Only really play CS:GO at the moment. Did the one player Old Blood but got a couple of others installed although i did shift my Steam stuff to another HD so wasn't sure why this was still on the C drive?

Windows - winsxs (dunno what this is) and System32 - 7gb driverstore (dunno what this is either) - is windows rollback/update files. You can get rid of them no problem, keep driverstore. will give this a go

Users - Data files for Adobe Premier Elements. 17gb which can be deleted easily. - delete. done

You also have a 11.9gb hiberfil file. Command from cmd is "powercfg -h off" - This is just a hibernation file and you can delete that too but reboot after. done

got just over 50gb now!

Soldato
No excuses to upgrade now is there? On another note why haven't you upgraded all ready?

I did upgrade when it was first on offer, disliked the interface completely and rolled back to Windows 7. There may have been a time when some of my apps didn't work with Windows 10 but I'm assuming they've either been resolved or some apps still may not work. More concerned with my photography related stuff than the others.

Soldato
I did upgrade when it was first on offer, disliked the interface completely and rolled back to Windows 7. There may have been a time when some of my apps didn't work with Windows 10 but I'm assuming they've either been resolved or some apps still may not work. More concerned with my photography related stuff than the others.

I installed Classicshell to make the start button menus just like Windows 7. You can also use a script like 'windows10debloater' to get rid of a lot of bloat as well as disable all telemetry.

Soldato
I had to do a system restore to get windows booting again. It seemed to happens just after the first windows update that i did last night. I'm guessing it will do it again when i do a system update again. I'm sure it was on that forum that i got the guide on for restoring things. The hard reset 3 times didn't work so went onto the system restore route.

Soldato
To avoid most of the updates you need to download 1909 iso which is the latest ones already integrated.
I use the tutorial in the below site for Chrome browser that enabled me to download 1909 iso from Microsoft site

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...nload-the-windows-10-1909-iso-from-microsoft/

I just checked on system info and it says I'm on version 1909. I'll create another system restore point as I've fiddled about with a couple of things since i last restored it and try updating again to see if it happens again.

Soldato
nJUw3Q1.jpg

Did the update and got this lot coming in.

BORG3ZF.jpg

Then this happened. However, the accumulative update installed pending restart and it was the intel HD graphics 4000 that was downloading when it restarted. I do have a NVIDIA geforce GTX570 installed and doing a little research it does appear to be the onboard intel graphics that is causing the issue.

Back
Top Bottom