******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
Well today I purchased star citizen (&squadron 42) and wow what a beautiful game, very buggy but its so beautiful, I think I followed it briefly in 2012 to 14 for a bit. Completely forgot about it until a friend mentioned it, I thibk I can really sink my teeth into in for a bit, I play Elite Dangerous plus horizons and destiny 2. It's looking like a merger of both. I'm. Happy. Well not in development but that's CGI for you, in historic sense lol
Depending on what you bought ship wise, if the mood takes you to ship creep a good place to stop is the Cutlass Black, should be a decent ship and capable of lots of roles, and it'll only cost you £100ish more which isn't a lot to lose vs the hundreds £££'s you could spend if the mood takes you :)

Soldato
Guys

I feel finally ready to try this out, is it worth getting SQ42, can get both for around 78 dollars at the moment?
Depends what you like. Personally I have both but IF I had to keep one and bin one I would be keeping S42.

Do you prefer the idea of an open world MMO sandbox or a narrative driven single player game.? I prefer the latter which is S42. Many prefer the former which is meant to be SC

Soldato
Depends what you like. Personally I have both but IF I had to keep one and bin one I would be keeping S42.

Do you prefer the idea of an open world MMO sandbox or a narrative driven single player game.? I prefer the latter which is S42. Many prefer the former which is meant to be SC

I like the idea of both and I fancy trying it out after watching it for years and years so I guess would make sense to get them both especially while SQ42 seems to be on offer with SC. SQ42 when it comes out looks to be an AAAA+ lol

Soldato
Ah ok ty for that. So if its scheduled this year i guess few more years? Or are they hitting targets these days?

Just i bought it during kickstarter, tried the hanger module release alpha, i tried the next one with skirmishes in and thats about it so not really been checking in. Only payed 35 reward scheme still kinda waiting for a game to play lol from it. Shame they think more income means add more stuff and cause delays instead of just sticking to a thought out design plan and sticking to it without adding on all the time.

Soldato
Ah ok ty for that. So if its scheduled this year i guess few more years? Or are they hitting targets these days?

Looks to me like they are on target, what's really impressive is the updates seem really often with regular Youtube videos etc. I have dipped in and out of this thread for a long time and was just waiting for the right time it felt right to try it out, I 100% would buy SQ42 when it was released anyway and you get a nice discount on that with the purchase of SC so all in all a good time to try out I feel?

Soldato
Might install it one day tho i dont want to do anything with mp. When you say you would buy sq42 does that mean you didnt buy it at kickstarter or have they said it will be a separate thing that you have to buy it now as opposed to buying 35 tier and getting sc and it should include sq42 as its the same game just the story part?

Associate
I had got both. My first ship is the mustang, haven't upgraded or purchased another ship yet. And probably won't. Yet. But I'm looking forward to SQ42 too. I joined an organisation called the ADI (ATLAS DEFENSE Industries)

Looking forward to playing with a few of them. Trouble is I forgot my girlfriend is off of work for 7 days so I doubt I'll be able to play much this week, sad times lol.

Oh and my rig seems to get very hot playing this game just for an hour better invest in a better case me thinks lol.

Soldato
why doesn't doesn't hardware like that have it's own controlling drivers to override this sort of thing happening? "are you sure you want <app> to activate the camera?" etc.

have to say, that feature just seems to be more meaningless cac that is delaying the game. seriously, who gives a **** what your actual expression is, 99% of the time you're never going to see a character's face in enough detail and even if you did, so what?

Soldato

Worth a watch to understand a basic of the tech in some areas and also what makes a little difference from some others out there with tech etc. It shows the difference of tech even if similar to other games about why it is still different and pushing what a games engine can do.

The gas cloud side for instance and how they have got that to work is certainly impressive. The idea on how they proc gen planets using humidity, temp and altitude is also clever and certainly allows for much greater design than we have with say NMS or ED.

The soft shadow elements from the terrain is for instance excellent, the weather is excellent (at least when it becomes fully dynamic) etc.

Would like them to work on how they get those humidity and temp settings by having it adjust based on distance from the equator for instance so you can have greater variation rather than it being more planetary wide as it is at moment. At moment the heat map they create means it really doesn't work like that and is more global and thus trees are all at the same range across a planet wide map currently.

The other is of course the popping of assets. It is still awful like every game out there, and they over use rocks etc across plains so it looks overly busy in my view. Like the frozen ocean texture with a million icebergs instead of a few.

In terms of the feature of FOIP and the camera thing etc, might be a little bit of a gimmick but it's been in game to some point for and was shown/stated in like August 2017 and it is a third party software they have brought in and then worked on updating it and the code and improving over time. A bug is just that though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom