Used car warranty options

Associate
OP
Just remembered that I had a leaking steering rack repaired 5-6 years ago. Would have cost £2k but paid only the excess of £250.

Associate
I have the Honda used car extended warranty on my Civic Tourer. In the last 9 months since I purchased it at 4.5 years old, it's had a new air con compressor (£1600) and a new rear seat locking mech (£170). So in my experience I'd say it was worth the £295 per year (or less if you bulk buy a few years). But equally, other people may have found no need for the warranty.

Honda's website says cars up to 8 years old can be covered, but the service department told me they would cover it up to 15 years old if it's had continuous warranty and servicing through them in that time.

Man of Honour
I’ve had a warranty with Warranty Direct for a few years now. It has averaged out at about £650 per year with a £50 excess.

I have a 9 year old Mercedes R350 so the warranty has been a good investment. So far:
Replacement brake calliper and associated parts - £800
Replacement wiper arm and motor - £350
Alternator - £900

The torque converter is starting to fail so I’m hoping it will be failed enough to warrant replacement at the next service because the car will be over 10 years and 100k come renewal and the cover isn’t worth renewing.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
For a diesel engine it certainly makes more sense (EGR, DPF). RAC platinum £240/y seems a good option but need to read the small print.

Associate
OP
I have a extended Audi warranty. Was paying £80/month but it has now gone to £40/month on renewal.

Do you know if it covers diagnostic costs? Most don't seem to cover this and with modern cards a diagnostic is almost always required (or at least this is what we are told)

Associate
OP
RAC doesn't cover diagnostics if >6y/60,000. Click4warranty doesn't either.

Also excluded:
  • Clutch: Where the failure is due to the clutch having reached the end of its normal working life due to the age and mileage or the clutch is burnt out.
  • Turbo (Factory Fitted): All Failures due to carbonisation are not covered including the Variable Nozzle Turbine (VNT) or Wastegate Actuator or any other part of the Turbo. Foreign object damage is not covered on any turbo claim.

Doesn't look very good - does it?

RAC crossed out :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Do you know if it covers diagnostic costs? Most don't seem to cover this and with modern cards a diagnostic is almost always required (or at least this is what we are told)

If the diagnostic leads to a claim for a covered item it's usually included.

Back
Top Bottom