Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Ask your painter. He'll know what paint he used, under what conditions, and how long it was baked for. We know none of that so can't answer the question.

Polished lip will need regular polishing, grab yourself a good metal polish and 0000 grade wire wool for tougher stains that normal microfibres won't remove.

Thanks, I didn’t realise it would be that specific to the paint and conditions it was baked in. Will speak to them next week.

Has anyone used a wheel costing/ceramic coating on their wheels for a decent period of time and can recommend one that’s lasted well?

Don
Can someone explain the difference between overpriced branded microfibre towels and bulk buy ones from amazon? Because I really cant understand why people spend the money.

No difference - I've got loads of Amazon microfibre cloths. Cheap price means I'll reuse them a couple of times but after that have no problem chucking them or using them as dusters

Soldato
Can someone explain the difference between overpriced branded microfibre towels and bulk buy ones from amazon? Because I really cant understand why people spend the money.

On a normal microfibre, I don't notice the difference. But for drying purposes, the best I've come across is the GTechniq MF4. Better than Autoglym and Kent ones that are recommended :)

Associate
I found the Kent drying towel ok, you really need 2 to dry a car properly but they’re cheap enough.
My current personal fav for drying is an Autoglym product. It’s not huge but it’s like a vileda mop material, so it wrongs out really easily and once dampened its very absorbent. I finish off the door shuts etc with a Kent towel then.
Autoglym ID10 Instadry https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N6WD1WT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_FzSpEbCYZ1H55

I’ve not long finished applying the ceramic coatings. Gyeon can coat was really easy to apply and buff, much like doing a panel wipe. Windy conditions didn’t help, I had to be really careful to spray the MF away from the car to avoid overspray.
Roll on some rain to see how it performs.

Soldato
Is there any reason that car's with any sort of coating (mine currently has a ceramic coat) take ages to dry?

By that I mean, we had a massive downpour earlier, and now it's stopped and the sun is (almost) out, my car is the only one in the car park that is still wet, with water droplets all over.

I've noticed it for a while, but today was really obvious, just wondered if there was a particular reason.

Soldato
Is there any reason that car's with any sort of coating (mine currently has a ceramic coat) take ages to dry?

By that I mean, we had a massive downpour earlier, and now it's stopped and the sun is (almost) out, my car is the only one in the car park that is still wet, with water droplets all over.

I've noticed it for a while, but today was really obvious, just wondered if there was a particular reason.

Basically your car is so silky with the ceramic protection the water can’t even penetrate and dry, instead it will just bead like your seeing, if a bird **** on your car that will not stick like super glue either.

Soldato
Need some advice, in the spring I plan on giving my car a polish and wax/sealant, I also have few minor scratches to try and remove.

I have a DA polisher now, so should help me.

I plan on washing car, claying, polishing and then sealing with a wax or ceramic sealant.

I don’t think I would have enough time in the day to do all that, when you guys detail your car do do it in one day?

wondered if it’s ok to do a few panels at a time providing they are washed and prepped prior.

Do you think it’s possible to do all that I mentioned in a day?

Soldato
It's possible, depending on how many stages and passes you do. Just polishing it should be possible. If it isn't your suggested idea of a few panels a day with washes before works perfectly.

Man of Honour

Droplets hold a higher volume of water and lower surface area, so yes, it’ll take longer. It’s also worse than uncoated cars in dusty rain for leaving marks.

Soldato
It's possible, depending on how many stages and passes you do. Just polishing it should be possible. If it isn't your suggested idea of a few panels a day with washes before works perfectly.

I think I will do it in stages, so just wash the front of the car, then clay that part, polish it and seal it. I just can't see myself getting the complete car done in a day with all the different stages, I guess doing a a few panels at a time will mean I can take my time as well.

By the way I have set up my DAS 6, I have these little tiny metal connectors with wires in a little bag, do know what they are for? I presume they are some spare part but can't see anything in the book to tell me.

Thanks

Soldato
I might get some Scholl S20 black for my car and use the meguires 105/205 on another car we have that the paintwork is in poorer condition.

Don't feel like my car needs a 2 step polish with it being fairly new before I add a wax or ceramic protection.

If I was to go over the car with S20 black using my DA polisher, would you guys say a CG hexlogic white pad is a good choice, seen as it's more of a polish pad with very little cut, and as said my paintwork is in good shape with only a very minor light scratch and a few light swirls here and there.

I guess it's also a good idea to start with a lighter pad to how well it does first?

I also have some CG green and orange pads but they provide more cut.

Soldato
I've been using snowfoam for a little while now, and I honestly find it a bit of a waste of time. I don't think that it removes any more dirt from my car compared to a spray down with a power washer and then a bucket of decent soapy water and a microfibre wash mitt. There's also more time involved in the setup and a lot of residue from the foam afterwards. Once I go through all the stuff I have, I don't think I'll personally replace it.

Associate
I suppose the obvious question is which snow foam are you using?

having used Bilt Hamber I find it provides a good first cleaning step after a spray down.

Forensic Detailing on YouTube did a very good comparison video where you can really see the difference it makes on a test panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom