Cam belt change

mjt

mjt

Soldato
That doesn't stop him calling a dealership, phones work across seas.
I have enough things to do thanks. I thought that maybe someone on this motoring enthusiast's internet forum might have a rough ballpark figure. **** it, give me a price for a Porsche or BMW. Is it anywhere near £1500?

Caporegime
I have enough things to do thanks. I thought that maybe someone on this motoring enthusiast's internet forum might have a rough ballpark figure. **** it, give me a price for a Porsche or BMW. Is it anywhere near £1500?

I know this may be a revelation but phones can use things such as voice dialling and hands free. It means you can do other things at the same time!

Soldato
OP
Went into the garage today to talk belts -
Settled on belt-idler -water pump- auxiliary belts - coolant flush and replacement - I drop it off and they take me home -they pick me up when done and I pay just over £500

I am happy with that

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Went into the garage today to talk belts -
Settled on belt-idler -water pump- auxiliary belts - coolant flush and replacement - I drop it off and they take me home -they pick me up when done and I pay just over £500

I am happy with that
Seems fair

Soldato
OP
Took car in yesterday and it's all done- Had the old parts put in a bag to bring home (sounds like a doggy bag) - Looked at them this morning and cam belt looked fine - no cracks or wear I could see -idle and tensioner pulleys didn't spin as I thought they should -one turn then stopped - The water pump impellor(?) looked unmarked but it was jerky to spin.
The V belt for alternator was unmarked but it has only done about 25k miles since alternator was changed with new belt.
So ready for the next 75k miles or ten years.
This is the first car I have had where I have taken it in for it's services - mostly for the breakdown cover but that has ended now it's ten yrs old - Got to find it myself now.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Had mine done today. Didn’t ask for the parts, but they said the alternator belt looked a bit worse for wear, so they did that too.
Seemed to drive better, but that could be because they gave me a tired old no-spec Up! as a loaner :p

Soldato
OP
I also thought it had a chain just because of the 120k miles replacement but I can assure you it's a belt.

No idea about other Ford diesels.

Soldato
I changed the belt kit and waterpump on my zetec fiesta myself. Needed a couple of extra tools but wasnt that hard following haynes and youtube videos. Labour cost should be no more than 120 quid.
Im not sure on this but i dont think that the focus crank pulley has a woodruff key which will make it trickey to do compared to a keyed pulley.
13 years ago i had the belt changed by a garage and after doing it myself i could see things like the bottom cambelt cover was damaged due to someone taking it off wrong. Also makes me wonder if they actually did the job or not....

Back
Top Bottom