BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
I find the comparison of Tesla Model 3 and an M3 very odd. The M3 is a car that is a family car during the week, and will happily go on the track during the weekend. The Tesla Model 3 is a family car which happens to have brute power, hence being quick during a lap or two. Nobody in their right mind would buy a Tesla Model 3 to compete with an M3. No matter how quick it is, it would not give the driver the same satisfaction due to being heavier, having less feedback etc.

P.S. I like Teslas and if I could convince the missus would buy a Model 3 as our family car, as I think electric cars are the future, but if it was our only car (i.e. our car during the week, and my car for the weekend) I'd go for the M3.

Soldato
I find the comparison of Tesla Model 3 and an M3 very odd. The M3 is a car that is a family car during the week, and will happily go on the track during the weekend. The Tesla Model 3 is a family car which happens to have brute power, hence being quick during a lap or two. Nobody in their right mind would buy a Tesla Model 3 to compete with an M3. No matter how quick it is, it would not give the driver the same satisfaction due to being heavier, having less feedback etc.

P.S. I like Teslas and if I could convince the missus would buy a Model 3 as our family car, as I think electric cars are the future, but if it was our only car (i.e. our car during the week, and my car for the weekend) I'd go for the M3.

Funnily enough I'm pretty sure that the manual of my M cars stated that the car is designed for road use only.

Have you ever driven an M3 and a Model 3?

Soldato
The fact that Teslas are generally quick is a bonus, as it's not especially their USP. It's bizarre that anyone would see their pace as irrelevant though.

But yeah- the BMW M3/M4 isn't supposed to be competing with the Model 3. A vehicle designed with performance foremost in mind is generally going to deliver on that premise, no surprise there!

The new Tesla Roadster will be a genuine competitor to sports and performance cars though, so that one will be really interesting.

Associate
Funnily enough I'm pretty sure that the manual of my M cars stated that the car is designed for road use only.

Have you ever driven an M3 and a Model 3?

Right, so does it fall apart as soon as it goes through a track? No I have not driven those vehicles, but have been in plenty of M cars and have driven a few electric cars. Have you driven both? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts if you have.

In any case; my point stands. The M3 would be more rewarding for a multitude of reasons and therefore much better suited as a performance car.

Soldato
Right, so does it fall apart as soon as it goes through a track? No I have not driven those vehicles, but have been in plenty of M cars and have driven a few electric cars. Have you driven both? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts if you have.

In any case; my point stands. The M3 would be more rewarding for a multitude of reasons and therefore much better suited as a performance car.
I haven't just driven both, I've owned 3 M cars (e92, e39 F10) and now own a tesla model 3 SR+

The model 3 is genuinely a good steer just as good as any 3 Series.

The only reason the M3 would be more rewarding is the drama which most people who own the car as a daily barely get to use.

Soldato
The fact that Teslas are generally quick is a bonus, as it's not especially their USP. It's bizarre that anyone would see their pace as irrelevant though.

But yeah- the BMW M3/M4 isn't supposed to be competing with the Model 3. A vehicle designed with performance foremost in mind is generally going to deliver on that premise, no surprise there!

The new Tesla Roadster will be a genuine competitor to sports and performance cars though, so that one will be really interesting.

Their usp is meant to be that its better than the ICE equivalent.

It's even on record. https://youtu.be/mURbzh9t0_0?t=302

Soldato
well how about we pick the cars from it’s segment the 3 series, a4 and c class, oh and the Lexus IS and Infiniti G if they still make it. I’m not sure what the American equivalents are I’m assuming some sort of Cadillac

my point is that it’s the most mature market for the car as it has been on sale there for the longest so it’s a better set of figures rather than the supply constrained U.K. that’s only been on sale for 8 months.

The Camry is irrelevant as it doesn’t compete with it and definitely not the Ford F-150.

So if you ignore the sedans Americans actually like to buy, it looks good. Understood you now.

We'll also ignore Europe, a key market for luxury sedans and hatchbacks, because the 3 series, A class etc. wins here.

Last edited:
Associate
If that is their USP, and this is coming from someone who likes electric cars, then they are failing miserably, when you compare them to anything bar the lowest spec engine in each vehicle segment.

Soldato
So if you ignore the sedans Americans actually like to buy, it looks good. Understood you now.

We'll also ignore Europe, a key market for luxury sedans and hatchbacks, because the 3 series, A class etc. wins here.
I am not sure how much longer they will win for if we revisit the situation in 2021 or 2022, for example in NL the model 3 was the best selling car, not the best luxury or best electric but the best selling car towards the end of 2019.

With the BIK changes coming in April I'm sure it will trigger something for the electric car.

Soldato
You fellas all seem to be in the know how. I picked up my f33 435i yesterday. I am absolutely loving every second of it, I may have had a quarter life crisis by getting a hardtop but jokes on you guys when the 4 days of summer we get comes around ;)

This is my first decent car, was driving a mark 6 fiesta St before, so creature comforts when driving are whole new ball game to me. Im really interested in what quirky features they have I might not have found yet or anything as I'm currently finding new things everytime I get in it.

Downloaded the connect app but only showing options for lock, unlock, ventilation and lights. Also it does say plug USB to update so may be some other features it's missing.

Man of Honour
I am not sure how much longer they will win for if we revisit the situation in 2021 or 2022, for example in NL the model 3 was the best selling car, not the best luxury or best electric but the best selling car towards the end of 2019.

With the BIK changes coming in April I'm sure it will trigger something for the electric car.

The bik changes will have a huge effect, lots of people are ordering them purely because there is no company cat tax.

Soldato
The bik changes will have a huge effect, lots of people are ordering them purely because there is no company cat tax.
Indeed and BMW has no product to compete. It will probably be the beginning of the demise of the 3/a4/c class oligopoly.

The cars will trickle onto the used car market and owners will begin to realise the benefit of the cars and we will begin to see mainstream adoption

Last edited:
Soldato
Ironically they lack the experience

Tesla can now build a car factory in under 12 months.

BMW hasn’t gone beyond an i3 in 7 years

Tesla have capitalised on the removal of partnerships to make and sell cars in China. Previously they had to enter the market as a joint venture. Hence BMW brilliance, JLR Chery.

they have the experience, including what not to do, they also have pension funds to protect and larger investments in existing infrastructure that still need to make money. Also their CEO doesn’t smoke weed.

Also don’t forgot the mini E and the new Cooper SE. Next 2 years will be rapid increase in EV products.

Soldato
Hi all, I currently have a 120D M-Sport Coupe with 93K miles on the clock. (It's 2011) I have it 3 years and it hasn't giving me a single problem. This year I will have to get a few things done on it, new tyres, new brakes, things like that. And it has got a few scratches that I want to get repaired if I decide to keep the car.

I have been looking around and I can get a 320D coupe (E92) 2012 with 65K miles on the clock for a couple of grand along with my own. Won't be able to test drive it until next weekend. But, I am just wondering is it a big step up from the 120D coupe that I have already? Will it be more comfortable? I am not a fast driver. I rarely break the speed limits. But, I just like the look of both coupes.

Soldato
Not much point swapping a known quantity for an unknown quantity that’s only a single year newer. How do you know the new car won’t need work doing?

Soldato
Not much point swapping a known quantity for an unknown quantity that’s only a single year newer. How do you know the new car won’t need work doing?

New car comes with a full years warranty and will have full service done and also will go through the NCT(MOT) as well.

Back
Top Bottom