Jordan Peterson thread

Soldato
I do see what you’re saying, but I just can’t get on board with attributing ‘West is best’ to Christianity being the predominant religion. It disregards so many other aspects of global human development and it surprises me that someone of JP’s calibre appears to actively ignore this (although as I stated earlier in the thread, it may be a cynical attempt to appeal to his primary target audience).

In 'Talking to My Daughter About the Economy', Yanis Varoufakis makes the argument that the propensity for the agricultural (and industrial) revolution in the West had a lot more to do with geography than any specific human traits. In 'Outliers', Malcolm Gladwell argues that Asians tend to do better in Maths than Westerners, partly because of their language and partly because of the 'cultural legacy' of growing rice which is heavily labour intensive and requires very specific growing conditions. Ironically, this benefit when it comes to Maths (which is often incorrectly assumed to be a sign of 'genetic intelligence') doesn't lend itself to global expansion unlike wheat, which doesn't require as much man-management and will grow in a much wider range of soil and climate conditions.

Both rice- and wheat-growing cultures share aspects of creation myths and moral fables. I don't accept that the myths from the wheat-growing cultures are somehow more 'real' because they spread further and faster due to an arbitrary factor that had nothing to do with the myths themselves.

If you were really seeking out 'The Truth' of the human condition via meta-stories and archetypes, why limit yourself to just the Western interpretation of those stories? Surely a global view would be much more interesting and much closer to 'The Truth' instead of just 'The Western Truth' — but then I come back to JP writing for his audience.

I see what you're saying too. To play devil's advocate, I think it's partly because 'best' for him is largely to do with the Western emphasis on the sovereignty of the individual, creating most of the societies where individuals have been able to flourish the most, and how this environment has best facilitated a willingness to engage with new knowledge and the development of new ideas... and partly because there's only so much time for a human being to learn something and he's clearly devoted more time to one particular branch of theology than others.

Soldato
He doesn’t.
Based on the podcast interview with Sam Harris, that’s exactly what he did.

Sam gave him an example of a Bhuddist or Hindu story (I forget which) that was similar to the Christian equivalent but JP tried to argue that the Christian version was better/more valid for *reasons* that weren’t particularly convincing.

… and partly because there's only so much time for a human being to learn something and he's clearly devoted more time to one particular branch of theology than others.

Right, which would be fine if he acknowledged the fact that the others were just as valid, but that this is his area of expertise. But that’s not what he did in the SH interview.

Soldato
I've just finished 12 Rules, and I have to say (as surprising as it may sound), I found it really interesting.

I especially enjoyed his personal and professional anecdotes, and how he fits them in with the theme of each essay. What his daughter and the family have gone through sounds horrific.

I still don't agree with everything he says, but I'd say I have a better appreciation for where he's coming from now. The book allows him to flesh out some of his ideas that don't come across as easily online, even in the longer interviews and YouTube videos that I've seen.

He doesn’t.

He certainly references more faiths in 12 Rules, but he acknowledges in the forward that his primary interest is Christianity and the Bible, which is the clear focus of the book. I don't know why he didn't just say that in the interview with Sam Harris, but that's what my original comment was based on.

I found the book a bit preachy, and perhaps this is what puts some people off. Without wanting to sound arrogant, I believe that I do take a lot of self-responsibility; I work hard at both my professional and personal life, I try to help others, and when things go wrong I usually look to myself as the cause before outside influences or other people. I’m also fortunate that I haven’t had to face much adversity in my life. As such, I don’t feel as though a lot of his rules are that relevant to me personally, or I was already following them anyway. Beyond the obvious messages of ‘take responsibility for yourself’, his exploration of the various themes are interesting enough, I just don’t find it as profound as some people clearly do.

In a way, it’s a sad reflection on the world that so many people find his messages so groundbreaking, but I guess he would argue that those people are a product of the society that he’s trying to remedy.

One final thought, and it's purely stylistic, is that his repetitive use of the binary 'good' and 'not good' when describing things became a bit tiring — and that is not a good thing. ;)

Soldato
I haven't read this but I think the "tidy your room" idea has some merit. I've gone complete minimalist in the past few months and it's calmed me down no end. :)

Soldato
Pics ?

Or do you mean mentally ?

:)

Nope because that might identify where I live given my home is on the market ;)

I vaguely recollect someone once saying to me, "tidy home, tidy mind". I've chucked out or sold everything that's not been used in the past 6 months and been absolutely ruthless with clutter. It feels very zen and calming and I'm not really materialistic anymore so sold/gave away random gadgets that had lost their novelty too. I highly recommend it.:)

Caporegime

ah, well the question now is were you really motivated to tidy your room based on what Peterson said or did you just have to tidy up anyway because you're selling your house? :)

Soldato
ah, well the question now is were you really motivated to tidy your room based on what Peterson said or did you just have to tidy up anyway because you're selling your house? :)
I want to downsize a little and there is no guarantee the sale will go through but the "tidy your room" thing resonated with me at the time as I'd let myself get a bit slobby and the clutter had crept in. I was much more ruthless than I'd normally be. When I move, I will be able to fit absolutely everything into a Luton van.

I'm going to buy the book anyways :)

Caporegime

I vaguely recollect someone once saying to me, "tidy home, tidy mind". I've chucked out or sold everything that's not been used in the past 6 months and been absolutely ruthless with clutter. It feels very zen and calming and I'm not really materialistic anymore so sold/gave away random gadgets that had lost their novelty too. I highly recommend it.:)

I’m pretty minimal in my life tbh...I don’t buy gadgets and don’t have countless Blu-rays and stuff....

I do have too many guitars but I justify that as I’m looking into opening my studio as a business since listening to Peterson.

Currently I’m too scared to leave my job...but I’m working on it.

I have one sharp knife in my kitchen...:)

Soldato
Currently I’m too scared to leave my job...but I’m working on it.

That is something I need to do if redundancy is not forthcoming in the next year and it's a big step. I know I'm good at my job but I'm terrified of starting again elsewhere, despite having worked abroad going in cold and doing very well. A little bit of impostor syndrome I think. :(

Caporegime
That is something I need to do if redundancy is not forthcoming in the next year and it's a big step. I know I'm good at my job but I'm terrified of starting again elsewhere, despite having worked abroad going in cold and doing very well. A little bit of impostor syndrome I think. :(

I know what you mean, the easy option is to stay in my job, the risky option is to open my own business , it fail and I have to start again.

I know in heart what I should do. Don’t want to be a shudda on my death bed...but taking the leap is difficult.

Associate
Apparently in a medically induced coma in Russia due to an addiction to Benzos. Why would you go specifically to Russia for treatment for addiction ? Surely he can afford the best treatment available in Canada or wherever ?

Im not a fan of his at all but sounds like he's had a pretty grim year.

Permabanned
Why would you go specifically to Russia for treatment for addiction ? Surely he can afford the best treatment available in Canada or wherever ?

Quack science. The only proven way to come off benzos is a gradual reduction in dosage and monitoring. Benzo withdrawal can induce seizures if stopped completely (going cold turkey). Quacks put people into a coma thinking they can force the body to withdraw quickly and bring them back without having to go through a long withdrawal process. I doubt he could find anywhere in the US or Canada that would do that.

Caporegime

The first minute of this video is conveniently vague, and suspiciously absent of any verifiable details. I understand that Peterson is a drug addict; that's clear enough. But the nebulous claims about 'an extremely severe autoimmune reaction to food' do not ring true. Show me evidence backed by a professional diagnosis, or sod off.

If Peterson is genuinely sick, he will receive the best possible care at a Canadian hospital. But as @rxodium says, it sounds like he's chosen quackery, which further suggests that his alleged auto-immune problem is at best exaggerated and at worst imaginary.

On an unrelated note, why is his daughter presenting a video in her underwear? Must be for the clicks and views, I guess.

Soldato
The first minute of this video is conveniently vague, and suspiciously absent of any verifiable details. I understand that Peterson is a drug addict; that's clear enough. But the nebulous claims about 'an extremely severe autoimmune reaction to food' do not ring true. Show me evidence backed by a professional diagnosis, or sod off.

If Peterson is genuinely sick, he will receive the best possible care at a Canadian hospital. But as @rxodium says, it sounds like he's chosen quackery, which further suggests that his alleged auto-immune problem is at best exaggerated and at worst imaginary.

On an unrelated note, why is his daughter presenting a video in her underwear? Must be for the clicks and views, I guess.

The vitriol in this post lol

Back
Top Bottom