Sennheiser gsx 1000 thread?

Associate
I use Philips fidelio x2 with my GSX1000 and still loving the quality of the surround sound.

So Shankly, after using DT770 and a Sennheiser Game One headset with my GSX 1000 since 2017 when I bought it, I've picked up the Philips Fidelio X2HR in a recent sale for £100 and they arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to trying them out and see if the soundstage is improved/different. They're highly recommended by Zeos so I've gone for them even though i really should stop spending money on PC related stuff!!

Soldato
OP
So Shankly, after using DT770 and a Sennheiser Game One headset with my GSX 1000 since 2017 when I bought it, I've picked up the Philips Fidelio X2HR in a recent sale for £100 and they arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to trying them out and see if the soundstage is improved/different. They're highly recommended by Zeos so I've gone for them even though i really should stop spending money on PC related stuff!!

Am really interested in reading your feedback on the X2
I feel the Fidelio X1 or X2 is the perfect match for the GSX but I can not be 100% sure because I not tried all headphones.

Associate
Hey guys,
Just got the gsx 1000 and it improved my game one sound quality a lot.
Just wondering if I have to turn the Dolby Atmos or Windows sonic off or not.
I want to use the best 7.1 experience in game.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Soldato
OP
Hey guys,
Just got the gsx 1000 and it improved my game one sound quality a lot.
Just wondering if I have to turn the Dolby Atmos or Windows sonic off or not.
I want to use the best 7.1 experience in game.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Definitely switch them off.

For best experience, set the device in Windows to 7.1, on the gsx make sure it's set to 7.1
In games if they is an option for audio set it to surround sound etc

Associate
Am really interested in reading your feedback on the X2
I feel the Fidelio X1 or X2 is the perfect match for the GSX but I can not be 100% sure because I not tried all headphones.

So i have three different headphones/headsets to compare that I currently own. The Philips Fidelio X2HR, the Sennheiser Game One's, and the BeyerDynamics DT 770. The first two are open, the last closed.

Both the Phillips and Sennheisers have a much wider and open soundstage, I've been using open back headphones for so long I had forgotten how closed in a set of closed ones like the DT 770's feel, and that is a closed back headset with what is considered a good soundstage for a closed back set.

I've tested the Philips over the last couple of weeks but was comparing them to my memory of the Sennheisers i switched from, and the DT770 I was using a long time ago. So in order to refresh my memory I utilised a few tools to test them out:

First is the Rein practice mode in the Overwatch workshop:

Basically i stood still and with a Reinhardt spawning anywhere in 360 degrees around me, have to turn as soon as i hear his ultimate voice line to where I think he is according to the sound cue coming from the headphones. Tried this with all three, they are all very good for imaging and positioning of where the sound is coming from which means the GSX 1000 is giving them good information which they are reproducing accurately. I'd say it was not as clear with the DT 770 but i don't think i was any better with the others, it was more that I knew more consciously where to turn with the open back sets whereas it was more unconscious decision making with the closed back set.

The soundstage is way more open with the Fidelio and Game One's compared to the DT770.

I then used this virtual barber shop with all three:

For this I turned off 7.1 processing in the GSX 1000 and went to straight 2.0. Each headphone accurately reflected the sound and where it was coming from but it was clearer with both the Fidelio and Game One's. In my opinion the Fidelio has a wider soundstage than the Game One's. However, the Fidelio X2HR is noticeably bassier than the Game One's and even the DT770's. The bass is powerful and rich, noticeably more weighted and stronger than the Game One's. It took some getting used to and I think possibly reduces some ability to pick out details in the high end like footsteps. The Game One's are much more neutral.

On a comfort basis, the Fidelio's are comfortable but are significantly heavier than both the other pairs. The Sennheiser Game One's are the lightest, easily, even with the DT 770 without a mic, followed by the DT 770 and then the hefty Fidelio X2HR.

That being said they are all comfortable, I'd say the Sennheisers are most comfortable and being open don't heat up your ears as much as the DT770's do or any closed back set. The Fidelio's I think are a little warmer than the Sennheisers and are heavier, but still comfortable to wear.

Last edited:
Associate
I’ve got gsx 1200 coming Tuesday got it for £80 fully boxed like new.
I have a Sounblaster z that I’ve had for years running through modi 3 Magni 3+ stack.
Going to use the Magni 3+ with the gsx1200 to power my dt990’s and see how the surround compares the SBX.

Soldato
OP
I have a Sounblaster z that I’ve had for years running through modi 3 Magni 3+ stack.
Going to use the Magni 3+ with the gsx1200 to power my dt990’s and see how the surround compares the SBX.

Let us know how the double amping goes. When I tried connecting the GSX to the onboard audio of my motherboard for recording only purpose I was getting some unwanted buzzing sound.

Comparing the GSX to the Soundblaster Z for surround sound only GSX to my ears is the clear winner.

Soldato

Might not be a fair comparison, if you only have the DT990 headphones.

I say that because the GSX's output alone is not ideally suited to those headphones. I know that is what the Schiit Magni is for; but I recall some time back I saw someone post that he used a separate headphone amp with the GSX and it affected the sound in a negative way.

Whether it was the amp he used in particular that was an issue, or just using any external amp with the GSX, I don't know.

Just saying you can't judge the GSX, if the amp and/or headphones are impeding the algorithms ability to work as well as it can do with better suited headphones. Ideally those that work great without having to use an additional amp. HD598 for example.

Associate
Well after some extensive testing I have come to the conclusion that the GSX has the better surround sound.
I thought would never be saying this but the GSX1200 has the better positioning and has a more natural sound when compared to the SBZ. When running through my Magni 3+ I do have to turn the Magni up more than I would with the SBX not sure why this be.

Overall I’m happy with the GSX and will be using it from now on for gaming but i will still keep the SBZ to run with my Magni/modi combo.

For the money though the GSX isn’t worth what Sennheiser ask for it (I got mine new for £85) even though it has the best surround for gaming, if you can get one for around £80-£90 then I think you will be more than happy if you already have a headphone amp as it needs one to drive decent headphones.

Soldato
Hi guys,
I need some advice if thats ok.

I have a pair of Steelseries Arctis 5 headset that I use for gaming exclusivly. They work well but they are JUST unconfortable enough for me to look around and I cant hear my own voice in the headset, so I shout all the time. They are '7.1' and have a game/discord dial within the cord. Outside of gaming, I have a pair of DT-770's which I could wear for days without worry and obviously their sound is amazing; they are my benchmark.

I was looking at the GSX1000 and a pair of the Beyer MMX300's.

I need:
Confort for hours on end.
Great Mic and Great sound quality.
Be able to hear myself talk within my headset.
A game and Discord dial.
Ease of use on the fly / I dont want to have to alt/tab out of game to change settings when I want.

Is a GSX 1000 and MMX300's a good fit?
Cheers
J/K.

Soldato
I have a pair of Steelseries Arctis 5 headset that I use for gaming exclusivly. They work well but they are JUST unconfortable enough for me to look around and I cant hear my own voice in the headset, so I shout all the time. They are '7.1' and have a game/discord dial within the cord. Outside of gaming, I have a pair of DT-770's which I could wear for days without worry and obviously their sound is amazing; they are my benchmark.

I was looking at the GSX1000 and a pair of the Beyer MMX300's.
You could just add ModMic into DT770 instead of buying headset.
Heck, Beyer's design would be very easy to DIY mic mod if having loose mic:
https://imgur.com/gallery/bKU4H

Also if your environment is quiet, then open design headphone like DT990 would give the best "natural feedback" of your voice.
Though listening microphone/mixing it into playback is pretty basic feature in most sound cards.

As for GSX unless you'll get it at major discount it's awfully overpriced for the quality of hardware:
Its audio hardware is at level of budget/entry level Audigy Fx/Xonar DGX.
You'll get literally couple steps better sound cards in both DAC and headphone amp for lot less:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/crea...-sound-card-pc-ps4-xbox-switch-sc-107-cl.html

Though most sound cards don't provide separate playback device for communication volume control.
But VB-Audio makes utilities like Virtual Audio Cable, which can be used as virtual playback device for vocie chat software to use and whose volume is available for separate control before its routed to sound card.
https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm
Voicemeter could even pan it to some specific spatial location.
There are also ways to add hotkey controls for volume of applications/sound devices, if software itself doesn't come volume control hotkey settings:
https://www.nirsoft.net/articles/increase-decrease-audio-volume-command-line.html
https://rlatour.com/setvol/

Associate
Seen all the above written before, many times. Typical EsaT rant against the GSX 1000.

Voice playback, without lag, in your headphones is a feature of the GSX 1000.

Soldato
OP
Are they really that good? I almost bought one a while ago but wasn't 100% convinced. Would be pairing with a pair of IE800S that i use for gaming!

For gaming and movies yes, with some light music but it's best setting it to 24bit 2.0

The surround sound from these is on a different level to everything else I have tried.

The biggest issue for me and most people was its release price I not really complaining tbh since I have definitely had my money worth.

Now you can find them much cheaper and I feel they a top buy for anyone into gaming.

Back
Top Bottom