Karcher Pressure Washers

Associate
Hi all

Our pressure washer has recently broken and I've been now looking at Karchers. Idealy I'd like to spend as little as possible but I want something that is pretty decent and not going to break after 5 minutes.

I've seen the K4 for around 180 pounds and the K5 for 300.

Its main use would be to wash the car with, especially foaming. Ive seen an autobrite foam bottle id really like and they seemed to be mainly aimed at working on Karchers.

Does anyone have any reviews or experience with the karcher machines and what would be best? I'm not sure if the K4 would be abit cheap in quality for the price.

From most retailers they come with a 3 year guarantee but if you buy direct from Karcher they give an extra year.

Thanks guys

Soldato
The cheaper Kärchers have a plastic valve/connector on the auto-stop mechanism that isn’t really up to the job so very often they start to leak from there. The main symptom of this is that the pressure washer hunts (pulses the motor) when you’re not actively using it. Some people just ignore it and they keep working but for me it was a major issue and I switched to Nilfisk and then (waaaaay out of budget) Kräntzle.

The low price sweet spot for me is the Nilfisk c110 which can sometimes be bought cheap at Nilfisk outlet

https://www.nilfiskoutlet.co.uk/pro...MIqdj7_JTE5wIVV-DtCh1E0wHVEAQYAyABEgLsavD_BwE

Over £200 Kärcher models are pretty decent (full metal valve in auto-stop) but I would definitely bodyswerve the cheap ones.

Always remember that pressure washers don’t clean, they just move the dirt about like snooker balls. For cleaning, you need weight of water so the more litres per minute, the better. Ignore the high pressure figure as it’s almost irrelevant. And if you want to make good foam then you need good flow over the Venturi plate in the injector, so anything under 7l/minute probably won’t make good foam.

Associate
OP
The cheaper Kärchers have a plastic valve/connector on the auto-stop mechanism that isn’t really up to the job so very often they start to leak from there. The main symptom of this is that the pressure washer hunts (pulses the motor) when you’re not actively using it. Some people just ignore it and they keep working but for me it was a major issue and I switched to Nilfisk and then (waaaaay out of budget) Kräntzle.

The low price sweet spot for me is the Nilfisk c110 which can sometimes be bought cheap at Nilfisk outlet

https://www.nilfiskoutlet.co.uk/pro...MIqdj7_JTE5wIVV-DtCh1E0wHVEAQYAyABEgLsavD_BwE

Over £200 Kärcher models are pretty decent (full metal valve in auto-stop) but I would definitely bodyswerve the cheap ones.

Always remember that pressure washers don’t clean, they just move the dirt about like snooker balls. For cleaning, you need weight of water so the more litres per minute, the better. Ignore the high pressure figure as it’s almost irrelevant. And if you want to make good foam then you need good flow over the Venturi plate in the injector, so anything under 7l/minute probably won’t make good foam.

What's 7I/minute if you don't mind me asking mate? What would I have to look for in the specification?

Soldato

Funnily enough, my Karcher has been doing this for a few months now – and I, too, have been ignoring it. :D

It haemorrhages water everywhere while running these days as well, which is sub-optimal. Credit where it's due, though, as it's lasted some five or six years and been abused relentlessly.

I will, that said, be looking at a Nilfisk as a replacement. They just look a little better designed. :)

Soldato
I’ve got that Nilfisk had it for quite a few years now, only issue with it has been that the high pressure hose sprung a leak 2 years back so had to get a replacement. Oh and don’t think you can put your thumb over the leak, flesh is just way too soft :D

Soldato
Funnily enough, my Karcher has been doing this for a few months now – and I, too, have been ignoring it
it's a sprung by-pass valve, which re-circulates/relieves pressurised water, if the pistol handle is released, and,
if it's like the 20 year old k7 i use, was surprisingly easy to unscrew, and lubricate ...

I didn't need to spend 3 hours tearing down the machine - lesson learned (posted on it before)

I'd be interested to know which of the nifisk+karcher series has a brass cylinder head, at the lowest price point

Caporegime
I really don’t know what I’m going to do when my Karcher 620M dies, you simply can’t get a decent non-professional Karcher these days and all my accessories are Karcher fitment.

Granted this 620M has been going strong since the mid 2000s with only a replacement power switch and a few new seals, but the motor will probably die at some point :(

NVP

NVP

Soldato
The cheaper Kärchers have a plastic valve/connector on the auto-stop mechanism that isn’t really up to the job so very often they start to leak from there.
K5 and up have metal internals if I remember correctly

Caporegime
Hahaha was just about to tag you @NVP and what do you know, you're the last person to post in this thread.

Looking at getting a friend a pressure washer (DJ) and @NVP - you know how protective he is over his M3. Ideally looking at no more than £100, Karcher or a Nilfisk? He mentioned something about a snow foam attachment for Dusty, so I think I need to get that with what ever washer I buy.

Soldato
Hahaha was just about to tag you @NVP and what do you know, you're the last person to post in this thread.

Looking at getting a friend a pressure washer (DJ) and @NVP - you know how protective he is over his M3. Ideally looking at no more than £100, Karcher or a Nilfisk? He mentioned something about a snow foam attachment for Dusty, so I think I need to get that with what ever washer I buy.

Have you tried reading this thread.....

Caporegime
Ordered the Nilfisk 120 but the order was cancelled (don't think they liked sending a first order to a different address to the billing). New plan is to order the C110 (really not that much between them) but get a Qwashers hose (supposedly much more sturdy that default Nilkfisk one). The C110 comes with a standard foam lance, if he doesn't like it I can signpost him to this one (Autobrite Direct Snow Foam Lance) which seems to rate highly.

Associate
I just bought a new K5 compact from tool station for £229 collected locally.

Its £180 delivered from Karcher outlet with the added 12 months warranty but when new its a 3 years warranty so the difference of 50 quid is negligible as I want it to last me as long as my current 6 year old K2. Which tbh is still working fine and hasn't let me down. Will pass this down to my dad to make way for the K5.

I have recently upgraded all my attachments/guns/lances etc to quick release so all in this should be a nice upgrade.

https://www.karcheroutlet.co.uk/ if any ones interested :)

Back
Top Bottom