• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is it worth waiting for the next gen cards

Caporegime
I have just ordered the 5700xt..... https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-35p-ms.html

If it wasn't for the paypal credit, I wouldn't of been able to afforded to upgrade to the i7 8086k from my trusty i5 2500k, and the only reason for that upgrade was because the motherboard started having problems.

There's a big difference between the 1660 super and the 5700xt. Wonder how much of a gap it is between the r9 290 and the 5700xt:D
uuUimII.jpg

what do you use the PC for? 32GB of RAM is overkill and then some. I mean I was only recently 3-4 years ago still on 8GB of RAM and playing games fine and then decided to move to 16GB which for the majority of the time mainly remains free. I don't think I've ever come to close to utilising anywhere near 100% of it under any use.

it's just weird that you say if you were strapped for cash you would buy a 1660 super then decide to buy on paypal credit and buy a more expensive card. that sounds like you are strapped for cash.

someone did say recently whatever you spend on the GPU, spend half of that on the CPU and a quarter on the motherboard. to me that sounds about right tbh for a balanced value for money build. i would also add to that about a quarter or less on RAM too.

So basically of the budget for GPU, MOBO, CPU and RAM. 50% goes on GPU, 25% on CPU and 25% on MOBO and RAM combined.

Soldato
I have just ordered the 5700xt..... https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-35p-ms.html

If it wasn't for the paypal credit, I wouldn't of been able to afforded to upgrade to the i7 8086k from my trusty i5 2500k, and the only reason for that upgrade was because the motherboard started having problems.

There's a big difference between the 1660 super and the 5700xt. Wonder how much of a gap it is between the r9 290 and the 5700xt:D
uuUimII.jpg
Good choice!

Associate
I've managed to do a pretty much straight swap for my 1080ti to a brand new Rog Strix 2070S. It's crazy how much you can sell the 1080Ti for. I'm thinking the next round of cards will be £LOL so probably going to sit this next gen out. Truth be told, nothing really struggles to run so I'm loathed to spend big money when the next gen consoles are out and offer much better value for money.

Caporegime
I've managed to do a pretty much straight swap for my 1080ti to a brand new Rog Strix 2070S. It's crazy how much you can sell the 1080Ti for. I'm thinking the next round of cards will be £LOL so probably going to sit this next gen out. Truth be told, nothing really struggles to run so I'm loathed to spend big money when the next gen consoles are out and offer much better value for money.

Plenty of idiots out there for some reason buying second hand gpus with no warranty for brand new pricing.

Even ones that have blower coolers on them too.

When mining started to fall apart I sold all my gpus for a profit due to pricing.

Unbelievable how second hand gpus were selling more than brand new 8 months previously.

Associate
I'm also waiting, interested in what AMD bring. Already know Ampere will be good.

Same. I partially borked a WC install with my Vega64. It works fine, but I have to limit frames in some games or it overheats and crashes!

It's doing what I need for now, so I cba to drain the loop and have another go. Waiting on 5900XT... 5700 not enough of an upgrade!

Associate
Whilst there is a good amount of perf to be gained from an R9 290(x) to a 5700 XT it is sad that there is no AMD equivalent product in today’s market the 290x was a decent GPU. They had a go with the Fury, Vega 64 and Radeon VII but it was all a bit meh no generational jump in perf just nudging the dial up a bit with some pretty ugly pricing or just being late to the party.

I hope AMD use big Navi to disrupt the GPU market, that will get them market share back even if Nvidia do release a higher performance product.

Soldato
OP
Whilst there is a good amount of perf to be gained from an R9 290(x) to a 5700 XT it is sad that there is no AMD equivalent product in today’s market the 290x was a decent GPU. They had a go with the Fury, Vega 64 and Radeon VII but it was all a bit meh no generational jump in perf just nudging the dial up a bit with some pretty ugly pricing or just being late to the party.

I hope AMD use big Navi to disrupt the GPU market, that will get them market share back even if Nvidia do release a higher performance product.
If I remember rightly my r9 290 cost me about £350 and I have had it for about 5-6years, even though it had been out a few years before buying it.

Anyway the 5700xt card came friday and its excellent.. its a hell of a lot smaller, runs cooler and feels lighter too, so I get no more sagging/bending like with the r9 290. I havent done any benchmarking but games do feel nicer to play, even though the r9 290 ran all my games quite smooth anyway.

Also I have figured out with the monitor turned off the card throttles back quite a bit. causing the temps to go even lower and slowing the fanspeed down. My r9 290 didn't throttle back at all when the screen was off.

Last edited:
Associate
Plenty of idiots out there for some reason buying second hand gpus with no warranty for brand new pricing.

Even ones that have blower coolers on them too.

When mining started to fall apart I sold all my gpus for a profit due to pricing.

Unbelievable how second hand gpus were selling more than brand new 8 months previously.

Yeah, it was actually a another post by you about doing that swap that put the idea in my heads so thanks for that!

Caporegime
Yeah, it was actually a another post by you about doing that swap that put the idea in my heads so thanks for that!

I sold my 1080 for £80 less than what I bought it for after using it for 2 years. Zero warranty on it left.

I could have kept it but it made sense to sell and get the majority of my money back and buy a new card with full warranty.

I advocate buying second hand on everything other than gpu. It makes zero sense to buy gpu second hand with current prices compared to what you can get new for a little more.

Associate
I sold my 1080 for £80 less than what I bought it for after using it for 2 years. Zero warranty on it left.

I could have kept it but it made sense to sell and get the majority of my money back and buy a new card with full warranty.

I advocate buying second hand on everything other than gpu. It makes zero sense to buy gpu second hand with current prices compared to what you can get new for a little more.

Yeah, it's a smart move. Have you noticed much difference in performance? I''m expecting/hoping it will be slightly faster on new games and about the same or slightly slower on games pre 2018.

The main thing will be the new warranty and I reckon it will probably hold it's value better than the 1080Ti will, as it's a generation newer.

I have another 1080Ti in my partner's system, I will see how I get on with the swap and may well do hers as well.

Associate
As with all things 2nd hand you need to be aware of what you're buying into. There are people still trying to sell 1080Tis for £500 but hey if there is a market for that then what can you say. If you buy anything out of warranty immediately the price needs to reflect that risk or its overvalued. I shudder to think of the potential used 2080Ti owners that are going to get burnt by that high price - no warranty - wtf moment.

Caporegime
Yeah, it's a smart move. Have you noticed much difference in performance? I''m expecting/hoping it will be slightly faster on new games and about the same or slightly slower on games pre 2018.

The main thing will be the new warranty and I reckon it will probably hold it's value better than the 1080Ti will, as it's a generation newer.

I have another 1080Ti in my partner's system, I will see how I get on with the swap and may well do hers as well.

I've noticed a big improvement especially with newer drivers. I only play a handful of games. CSGO - which will run on a potato. However Apex Legends - I don't see any stutter or slowdown as it's running higher FPS overall and doesn't see the large drops it used to. I'm also running everything on ULTRA now whereas before I had tweaked settings. I was talking with my mate yesterday and he said you should really turn shadows down and a few other things which will boost my FPS further and make no real difference to the game. He's playing on a 1080ti and I'm now on a 2070 super. So I asked him what FPS he was getting and his res and what settings he used to compare. I had everything on ULTRA and getting 120 fps @ 1440p. With tweaks I reckon I can get this up to 165fps that my screen is capable of.

The only issue I have and I believe this is with all cards. Every time you launch a game in full screen mode it resets the colour palette and forces the games one. I have calibrated my screen and use displaycal to load my calibrated profile. I need to run all games in borderless window otherwise they look terrible as I have tweaked the screen and need the calibrated profile to get all colours 100% accurate and this only works with borderless window.

I'm hoping one day with new GPU or new drivers we are able to calibrate at GPU level or insert the profile into the nvidia control panel and force it across all applications.

Games that haven't been made on DX12 but simply converted from DX11 run terrible in comparison but still faster than the older cards. Better off still using DX11. Word War Z being the obvious example that I play.

Asking if you should wait or not I would say no. The 10 series cards will plummet in price when the 30 series comes out. No warranty, 2 generations old, 20 series new will become EOL and cheaper forcing 10 series even further down. 20 series already runs cooler, more efficient can be automatically overclocked in MSI afterburner.

I don't plan on buying a 30 series card. This 2070 super will do me until I see FPS drop below 90 fps. That is my cut off point for an upgrade. Unless of course people are willing to pay £350-£400 for a 2070 super and I can get a 3070 for not much more or wait for the super cards and get one of them for not much more.

Soldato
No

GPUs are tools.

If you needed a hammer or saw you would not wait for next years model.

If gaming is important to you then buy a suitable card now.
Bit different when the item costs hell a lot more then a hammer or saw

I regret it every day that I bought my brand new car with ford sync 2 audio/nav and didn't wait about 4 to 5 months longer for one with the newer sync 3 system

Caporegime
Bit different when the item costs hell a lot more then a hammer or saw

I regret it every day that I bought my brand new car with ford sync 2 audio/nav and didn't wait about 4 to 5 months longer for one with the newer sync 3 system

Surely you would have known about a new model being released at that short a time frame?

Also is it really that big a deal? I tend to use the nav on my phone as it's better and more up to date. So long as the ICE does what it needs to like play music, etc i'm not fussed.

Soldato
Surely you would have known about a new model being released at that short a time frame?

Also is it really that big a deal? I tend to use the nav on my phone as it's better and more up to date. So long as the ICE does what it needs to like play music, etc i'm not fussed.
Yes I knew about the models coming with sync 3 but am very impatient and didn't want to wait :o plus sync 2 looked amazing compared to what I had before in my RX8 ;)

The thing with sync 3 is it has apple car play & android auto, Maps & other updates that update over wifi (i think) plus it fast where sync 2 is slow & laggy

Back
Top Bottom