Lexus CT200h MPG?

Capodecina
Soldato
Does anyone here have a Lexus CT200h?

The real world MPG is reported as averaging less than 50 which seems kinda low for a Hybrid vehicle - are Hybrids actually a con?

How does the Lexus CT200h fare on a long Motorway journey in the UK?

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
You have manual control over hybrid. There is an EV button on the Lexus to go electric only. . . .
Surely only until the battery runs out, how far will it run on JUST the battery?

It's not theoretical the ct200h does 55mpg in the real world. . . .
Is this based on actual personal experience, Lexus "claimed" figure or on fuelly.com?

Caporegime
Surely only until the battery runs out, how far will it run on JUST the battery?

Is this based on actual personal experience, Lexus "claimed" figure or on fuelly.com?

On battery only you can go quite a fair distance. Not a huge amount but I've travelled for 60 seconds around a mile I've never measured tbh.

Ill turn on eV only when for instance I'm in gridlock traffic or a huge queue behind some traffic lights otherwise I let it do its thing.

As for real world mpg. Again it's not my car it's the wife's. We top up with £40 of premium petrol and it lasts for 400 miles or thereabouts. That is with stop start city driving during rush hour every weekday.

For long distances you are probably better off with a diesel self charging hybrid if such a thing exists or diesel only.

Self charging petrol hybrid are city cars. Not long distance cars. That doesn't mean you can't use them for long distances but you would likely be better off with a diesel as they will be cheaper and do similar or better mpg.

If you want next time we fill up I can zero the miles and see how long it lasts.

However our usage is city driving during rush hour. So not constant high speed.

The car charges itself when you are braking, rolling, going downhill, etc. Electric motor kicks in below 16mph or over when it can. It normally uses both when over as in at 70mph you can be using both electric and petrol to keep you moving. So it's using the electric all the time turning on and off when needed.

Soldato
A hybrid is more about the "urban" MPG. If you're causing at 60-70mph most of the time you probably won't see much of an improvement vs modern diesel and petrol.

You can run some on electric only but the battery is only small. You might get a few miles.

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
OP
The idea of considering a Diesel as an alternative to a Hybrid rather misses the point. In a perfect world a pure electric car would be the obvious choice but aside from the cost they simply don't cater for long runs.

I tend to do a mix of urban and motorway driving and currently get about 40 MPG and decent acceleration so I guess that a Hybrid doesn't really make much sense :(

Soldato
I have a 2016 F sport. So 17” wheels. I’m averaging 50mpg urban and dual carriageway on a 14 mile round commute which takes around 40 minutes. I do feel the car is much better suited to rush hour traffic and generally offers great mpg once properly warmed up.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Many thanks for that "real world" feedback @Vita.

I have owned my present car for some five years, during that time I have done about 59,000 miles at an average of about 40 MPG. I estimate that a CT200h would have saved me an absolute maximum of £1,700 in fuel usage, probably offset by "other" higher running costs so I think I will pass for the present.

Soldato

I have owned my present car for some five years, during that time I have done about 59,000 miles at an average of about 40 MPG. I estimate that a CT200h would have saved me an absolute maximum of £1,700 in fuel usage, probably offset by "other" higher running costs so I think I will pass for the present.

I bought it because it just felt better built than a Prius/Auris. When I change, I’ll probably opt for a Prius. Still I’m getting 380-400 miles a tank / 33l~ fill up btw on supermarket fuel (meh), full tank capacity is 45l, 121.7p around 42 quid or something like that.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
I bought it because it just felt better built than a Prius/Auris. When I change, I’ll probably opt for a Prius. Still I’m getting 380-400 miles a tank / 33l~ fill up btw on supermarket fuel (meh), full tank capacity is 45l, 121.7p around 42 quid or something like that.
As a matter of interest, do you get your car serviced by a Lexus or a Toyota dealership?
Lexus dealerships seem to be pretty rare and I gather that the battery should be "seen to" at every service.

I also try to buy fuel at Tesco ;)

Soldato
As a matter of interest, do you get your car serviced by a Lexus or a Toyota dealership?
Lexus dealerships seem to be pretty rare and I gather that the battery should be "seen to" at every service.

I also try to buy fuel at Tesco ;)

I bought it in December from Lexus Approved Used. First car I’ve ever bought from a dealership. I’ll get it serviced by Lexus as they warrant a 10year battery guarantee. Servicing isn’t really much in cost. It’s fixed price and they’re generally reliable.

The only downside I think which bugged me was the size of the boot but I expected it. I actually considered switching over to a Golf GTD Estate/Focus ST TDCI estate, just for room, but I’ve had enough diesels to know the headache they can bring when they go wrong.

On a 45l full tank I’d expect range to be 450-500 miles tbh. But then it would probably cost £60-70 to fill up I’d imagine.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
. . .
The only downside I think which bugged me was the size of the boot but I expected it.
. . .
A small boot is/would be a big issue for me, I tend to put a lot in there from time to time - e.g. UK holidays and skiing. I realise that it is always likely to be an issue with any small(ish) Hybrid or Battery powered car :(

Soldato
A small boot is/would be a big issue for me, I tend to put a lot in there from time to time - e.g. UK holidays and skiing. I realise that it is always likely to be an issue with any small(ish) Hybrid or Battery powered car :(

The seats do fold 60/40 split. But yes it is a small boot which is a shame. If the battery was to be under the rear seat the boot would have been much larger.

Caporegime

what running costs?

lexus's are one of the most reliable cars you can buy.

the only weak point on the ct200h is the egr which should be cleaned once every 80-120K miles depending on your usage.

as in if you clean it at 80K and it wasn't that filthy you probably can wait for another 100K miles to pass before cleaning again.

Caporegime
i think the boot is quite big tbh.

i managed to fit 2 x 35 litre of compost side by side and had more space around them for other stuff. could probably get 15 bags of compost in the boot no problem.

sure it's not the size of a E class or 5 series but it's a hatchback civic sized car.

Back
Top Bottom