What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
The Lighthouse

Haven't heard much about this but it's been on my radar since last year. Thought it was excellent. Performances by Dafoe and Pattinson should be up for Oscars.

8/10

Associate
In the Heart of the Sea

The tale of a heroic whale fighting 19th century whalers that threaten the very existence of his species. The makers took the curious choice to follow the perspective not of our hero but of the antagonists and it results in a pretty interesting film. Overly long in places and the framing device of a survivor telling the story to the writer of Moby Dick drains tension from the action.

A watchable 7/10

Forgot about this film, definitely want to watch. I really enjoyed the Gregory Peck adaption of Moby Dick in my younger years, only at the time, I never knew it was based on a true story. :eek:

The film prompted me to read Herman Melville's book. Whilst it is enlightening; probably one of the hardest reads I have ever encountered. The story when you cut to the chase, is epic!

Associate
Underwater (2020) - 6/10

A mediocre film that I enjoyed more as it went along. The story is cliché and with little explanation as to why they’re drilling or what went wrong, although some of this is explained by the end.

Good use of atmosphere and good pacing, focusing on being intense rather than building suspense, and the special effects and big reveal at the end are good.

The acting’s nothing special, the characters have little depth and the humour doesn’t sit right with the supposed “horror” setting, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Caporegime
Uncut Gems

This movie was so odd. Its hard to say. Its not an enjoyable movie, but at the same time I couldn't take my eyes from the screen. Adam Sandlers performance was just incredible

The main character is infuriating. The movie is outright stressful to watch. Everytime he makes one bad decision he then follows it up with an even worse one. Its just...mind boggling.

Well well worth a watch :)
He won the independent spirit best actor award for that one on Saturday.

Soldato
Death Note movie...the netflix adaption -5/10

A woman at work recently lent me the first 3 volumes and it made me quite interested in this but it wasn't great...not just bad because I know the source material but just all round bad. I'm done with Wingard's movies, he caught lightning in a bottle with The Guest but everything else it a little flat.

Soldato
Birds of Prey - Margot Robbie absolutely slays in this role, shes incredible, film is bang average though and some forced SJW stuff put me off a bit. Overall I enjoyed it though, mostly for Harley Quinn though.

Soldato
Joker - 8/10

It was good but like most hyped movies a bit overblown, unlike the other Batman movies it was just dark as opposed to wacky dark with the Keaton movies and Bale dark with the Nolan movies.

The constant focus on Joker to the exclusion of any other character development started to grate a bit as did the chain smoking. And for the life of me, out of the clown costume the character looked like more like an aging rock star, the guy out of Marillion - not Fish, the other one (Hogarth).

Just don't expect a lightweight comic book adaptation.

Back
Top Bottom