Doctor Who

Soldato
Still trying to figure out exactly what last nights episode was about. Something about two "immortal" aliens feeding off the nightmares of humans with an aside this week about mental health issues. In fairness, there was a bit of sci-fi in there and the actor playing the main antagonist actually displayed far more gravitas than Jodie, flouncing about as usual with her Do-It-All sonic screwdriver. Perhaps they should make the screwdriver the new star of the show. As regards the companions, definitely seems to be turning into EastEnders in space, IMHO.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I have enjoyed this Doctor but something still doesn't sit right. She always seem to be one step behind and doesn't come across hero like.

She just has no "danger" to her yet. You don't feel like she is more than a bumbling fool most of the time. Matt Smith was a bit nuts but you also had a lot of moments that made you feel like he was an almost all powerful being.

Honestly, the last episode was probably one of the best this season but I'm not sure that is high praise. How anyone can say "this is what Doctor Who has always been like" with regards to the issue of the day slapping you repeatedly in the face is beyond me. Hopefully Jodie will settle down and bit on the random and add a bit more seriousness to her character at some point.

Soldato
Thought yesterdays was probably the best this season, although it had a mental health "tickbox" feel to it it did actually deal with it quite well. Thought she solved the problem a little too easily and I could have done with a bit more peril there, maybe a two parter. The finger thing freaked out the kids, intergalactic wet willy :D

fez

fez

Caporegime
Thought yesterdays was probably the best this season, although it had a mental health "tickbox" feel to it it did actually deal with it quite well. Thought she solved the problem a little too easily and I could have done with a bit more peril there, maybe a two parter. The finger thing freaked out the kids, intergalactic wet willy :D

I mean, she can levitate her sonic screwdriver so it was an easy escape! I think this is the problem with Doctor Who. You have the people who would defend Doctor Who to the hilt if the Doctor literally pointed at the screen and said "be more environmentally conscious viewers at home" and gave a 20 minute lecture on it. Any dissenting voice or complaint is taken as sexism or someone looking for PC issues. This episode showed how ham fisted the rest of the series has been with regards to its "messages". They actually did it well for the most part.

You can literally simplify it to the phrase "show, don't tell".

Soldato
You can literally simplify it to the phrase "show, don't tell".

Spot on, 99% of us don't need the big klaxon and four page script on whatever point is being made. The worse bit for me was when Brad sort council about his issue and she didn't say a thing, I wanted something from her as a time travelling being who's been alive for all these years but we just got some kind of cop out line that really just seemed lazy.

The climate change guff episode was so poor, if they had let us figure out which planet it was and then just left it i'd have found it much better but no, lets spoon feed the whole point to us in a lecture for 5 year olds.

Soldato
What you need is to watch the original Doctor Who episodes on Britbox. There is a punch up and gun fire in almost every episode and some big clunky 1970's electronics. A visit to the pub is not uncommon either.

Man of Honour
That's not the story of each episode, that's the main character and how they travel. Story or subject matter in sci-fi has always approached many different subjects, such as race, religion, environmental aspects.

It was intended as a tongue in cheek joke. I've been familiar with scifi for over 50 years of my life. I understand what scifi is about, I dont need a explanation of what it is. It was just a gag, as indicated by the winky smiley. Its ok, I have no axe to grind with Dr Who, you dont need your defensive shields up with me :)

Associate
Well I really enjoyed that episode, first in a long time where I have. I think I would put it down to 3 things:
  • Nice staged environment, nothing too over the top and threatening the world.
  • Minimal companion focus (as they are all annoying as ****)
  • No hidden (or not so) agenda.

Soldato
Bit behind on these, but started trying to catch up, watching with my son (10).

Found the double-part opening episodes pretty hard work: boring, did not enjoy.

Liked the third episode though - the space spa. A lot of Aliens influences. Good fun.

The boy loved them all. "I forgot how good Doctor Who was" he said.

Back
Top Bottom