What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
To be honest, the intention is a 'test to failure'.

If I put other measures in place to avoid this battery flattening, I'll never find out whether just replacing the battery alone has solved the problem. So the intention is to wait for a failure to happen, or not.

The bad point of this plan is the potential to be left stranded somewhere. The mitigating factor is that it won't be me stranded... :D

(I am though considering buying a jump start battery. Would be a good thing to own anyway, and the ability of those things for the tiny size is impressive.)

mjt

mjt

Soldato
€1500 lighter thanks to new cam belt, waterpump, alternator belt, big service and a pair of coupling rods.
And it my thermostat is knackered so that’ll be another €500 thanks to Audi placing it in a stupid place and behind lots and lots of pipes.

Old cars are fun. Not sure how quickly I can get the thermostat fixed. What will I break if I do 1500 miles on a stuck thermostat?

Man of Honour
Tried to polish out the scratches down my door and wing where some dumbass couldn’t park and has scraped and dented the entire side. Good luck to anyone I ever catch doing that.

Soldato
Replaced the thermostat housing on the Fiesta, which was gushing water out. Utter pig to get to the last of the four bolts, really annoying job.

The place I work used to be a Ford dealer, done many of those over the years! They get far less painful once you've done a few and acquired the right selection of 1/4" extensions :D

Soldato
Got the wife's 62 plate Fabia MOTed.

Passed with a few advisories, front tyres down to 3mm (only done 16k), exhaust rear box corroded but passed (not bad as it's the original one) front arms have slight play but again passed.

Planning on trading it in from something newer in 6-8 months, so will get tyres put on but everything else should last.

Soldato
Just filled up with fuel today, averaged 29.3mpg on the last tank. Not sure how I feel about this as it's a 1.0 EcoBoost, but at the same time it's in a big Focus Estate, coupled with a torque converter gearbox, and doing basically nothing but town driving with the heated windscreen, heated seats, and heated steering wheel on basically every time I get in.

Need to give everything a once-over ready for its first MOT next month (17 'reg), and I also want to upgrade the xenon bulbs and also LED every other bulb that I can such as the rear brake/reverse/indicator lights, as well as the front indicators and mirror puddle lights.

Soldato
Thanks for clarifying - I also thought you were getting 20mpg out of a 1L EcoBoost and I was going to ask how on earth you drove!

Another point on my car - if I change the units to km, everything changes (trip meter, odometer, fuel economy(mpg) changes to fuel consumption (L/100km), digital speedometer (not the main fixed clocks) etc etc), except the ******* cruise control! What's the point in that? It's a heinous oversight on Ford's part. If I change to km/h, surely I want the cruise control and speed limiter to also change to km/h??

Soldato
On the way back from bristol airport, engine started making a loud mechanical clattering noise and a low oil pressure warning light pops up, immediately turn engine off and coast into a lay by (Damage is already done i'd imagine) just to find a pool of oil all over the floor, great.

Hopefully warranty covered, its a 67 plate micra with 12k on the clock, was serviced in nov 2019 and only covered like 200 miles since then.

Underboss
its under warranty , so that's good for you

but a pain when it happens when your driving, how do you go about getting home? do you phone the dealer where u bought it from ? or Breakdown cover ? (from garage that supplied the car id imagine?)

Soldato
its under warranty , so that's good for you

but a pain when it happens when your driving, how do you go about getting home? do you phone the dealer where u bought it from ? or Breakdown cover ? (from garage that supplied the car id imagine?)

Since we bought the car new from Nissan and it's still in warranty, you have breakdown cover with Nissan (Nissan Breakdown Assist) which is basically the RAC.

Tow truck driver came down, i pointed at the oil so knew straight away it was going to the nissan dealer, towed the car to the dealer we bought it from, They couldn't offer me a courtesy car but I can get one through RAC for the first 3 days if the dealer can't offer one on the day, Also the chap took me home in his Tow Truck.

The tow truck driver was super helpful and polite, I couldn't ask for a better service really, if this is the level of service RAC offers i'll happily buy breakdown cover from them....if i wasn't so cheap xD

I'll be interested to hear what happened to the car, should be getting a call back in the next few days.

Soldato
I'm suspecting the engine is going to be damaged, as the engine started making that horrible dry mechanical clattering noise just before the low pressure warning popped up and loss of power, all happened in the space of 10 secs.

Back
Top Bottom