• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
That's the Nvidia tax. People will always pay more for an nvidia card.

Some people will yes. I certainly wont.

On a side note about driver instability, i'm fairly certain that it's windows being a bit silly again, cause from my own limited testing, no issues have been had using older windows builds.

Soldato
And that's why we have ludicrous prices in the market. There is no sensible metric which would justify the 2070 Super's price premium over the 5700 XT, but as long as Johnny "I'll Pay It Anyway" Cash Cow continues to be a moron then Nvidia will hike their prices. Which gives AMD no reason to charge sensible money, and which in turn will give Intel no reason to charge sensible money.

Personal preference, my dear willhub, is what's destroyed the pricing of the GPU market.

The RTX 2070S IS a superior GPU. It IS faster and it has RTX (Ray Tracing) - It warrants a higher price tag, this is regardless of if games are currently utilising RTX and as to what level.

Soldato
Yes it is, as not only is it faster, its also got more hardware, as its also got RT Cores on it, to do Ray Tracing, and its also got Tensor Cores, to do DLSS.

DLSS is basically dead, and I am sorry but you could put a coffee maker on it but if I don't drink coffee it doesn't add value to the card.

It is the faster card though, not by much but it is.

Associate
I use DLSS all the time . Even on my TV at home. Take my reading glasses smother them in lube and voila , DLSS on the cheap.

Hence I don't mind spending extra £...not to mention ze epeeen with tensioner rtx cores.

On a serious note. This is thread is about big Navi not 2700s Vs 5700xt. Both cards are good. So buy whatever card you want and enjoy .

Soldato
Yes it is, as not only is it faster, its also got more hardware, as its also got RT Cores on it, to do Ray Tracing, and its also got Tensor Cores, to do DLSS.

Except you don't need RT cores to do ray tracing. nVidia claim to have worked on this tech for 10 years yet non of their research papers on Ray Tracing going back 10 years mention any sort of specialized hardware only the need for more FLOPS. nVidia really loves their closed ecosystem and are willing to use hardware as the lock even when it isn't necessary. I personally am not interested in this approach when it comes to gaming market because locked ecosystems leads to higher prices and no consumer in their right mind wants this.

Associate
Except you don't need RT cores to do ray tracing. nVidia claim to have worked on this tech for 10 years yet non of their research papers on Ray Tracing going back 10 years mention any sort of specialized hardware only the need for more FLOPS. nVidia really loves their closed ecosystem and are willing to use hardware as the lock even when it isn't necessary. I personally am not interested in this approach when it comes to gaming market because locked ecosystems leads to higher prices and no consumer in their right mind wants this.

+1!

The tensor cores on the RTX cards are designed for machine learning, where NVidia took a computation die and used it as a gaming die. It is like they were desperately looking for a way to use the cores and RTX was the result.
Keep in mind that the RTX dies are absolutely massive for their TFLOPs due to tensor cores, so they just passed that cost onto the consumer.

For example, RTX2080's 13.6B transistors and 545mm2 die vs. GTX1080ti's 11.8B transistors and 471mm2 die. The 1080ti has ~10% better performance. Go figure.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Personal preference, my dear willhub, is what's destroyed the pricing of the GPU market.

That and the lack of choice for those of us seeking to play games @ 4K without compromising on settings. A lack of competition from AMD certainly played a part.

Soldato
That's the Nvidia tax. People will always pay more for an nvidia card.
No they don't

When AMD/ATI had the fastest card available they were priced higher then Nvidia cards at the time (Some examples being 9800pro, x1900xt-x)

The x1900xt-x was up against the 7800GTX at the time
I can't remember now which nvidia GPU's were against the 9700pro & 9800pro at the time

As far back as I can remember which ever company had the fastest GPU available also charged the highest price ;)

Someone correct me if am wrong

Last edited:
Soldato
No they don't

When AMD/ATI had the fastest card available they were priced higher then Nvidia cards at the time (Some examples being 9800pro, x1900xt-x)

The x1900xt-x was up against the 7800GTX at the time
I can't remember now which nvidia GPU's were against the 9700pro & 9800pro at the time

As far back as I can remember which ever company had the fastest GPU available also charged the highest price ;)

Someone correct me if am wrong

Just a nit pick, AMD had **** all to do with them cards.

IIRC the HD5870 was the fastest for a while and was cheaper than NV's equivalent

HRL

HRL

Soldato
So perhaps show some restraint? Is the need to play games at 4K really so important it's worth any cost?

Not any cost, no. However my PC sits next to the TV in the front room and 1080P didn’t look anywhere near as good as 4K, and having built a new PC the options were very limited. The 1080Ti wasn’t good enough, the 2080Ti was just about.

Cost was ridiculous of course but what was the other option? Wait for Nvidia/AMD to release cheap cards that are worthwhile for 4K?

We’re still waiting for those and I’ve had my 2080Ti virtually since launch.

Soldato
I'd like to see something clarified. RTX cards are either faster or they have RTX, not both. A 2070S is faster than a 5700XT until you turn RTX on, then it's slower.

I see it time and again, people arguing that more FPS is worth the Nvidia tax then cite RTX when it gets close as further justification, promptly tanking the superior frame rate!

Which is it? More fps is better or RTX? Sadly we can't have both...yet;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom