Can I play media files from my PC on my TV via network?

Soldato
Hi guys,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section but wondering if it's possible for me to play media files on my Samsung Qled from my PC via the network? Both my TV and the PC are using a wired connection via a Virgin Media home hub. I don't fancy running more cables and it's a bit of a pain using a USB stick each time getting behind the TV with having mobility issues.

Soldato
Install Plex on the PC you should be able to browse your media files via your T.V's file browser. If your T.V in a Android base T.V you can install the Plex client on the T.V as well.

Soldato
£50 versus £150-£200. Just get decent branded android plenty fast enough.

Unless concerned with 4k, HDR and netflix apps as apparently these boxes may not be supported.

Buy for sd and 1080p hd video files they work well

Permabanned
He did not mention budget and a cheap box will be more than likely be Android OS not Android TV OS which is not ideal, I've had both and the NV Shield (2017 non Pro) is one of the best things I have ever purchased.

Soldato
He did not mention budget and a cheap box will be more than likely be Android OS not Android TV OS which is not ideal, I've had both and the NV Shield (2017 non Pro) is one of the best things I have ever purchased.

I had choice of full is or android TV, I chose the full os. Installed Kodi, auto run.

Since it's the full os I have full choice of apps if you install TV version don't have as much

Soldato
OP
I've actually managed to get it working the way I want with no need for additional software or hardware. Am actually just able to search through the now shared drive on the network and access the content via the tv. Just took a lot of messing round in network settings.

Might be imperfect and not work for everything but it's a starting point for me.

Permabanned
I had choice of full is or android TV, I chose the full os. Installed Kodi, auto run.

Since it's the full os I have full choice of apps if you install TV version don't have as much

There is a good reason for that because they are made for a mobile phone in portrait mode using a touchscreen and some even require mouse (says on install screen)

I can still use mobile Android Apps easily using Aptoid over and above FULL Android TV app App made for a TV in landscape mode using a remote. ;)

Soldato
I've actually managed to get it working the way I want with no need for additional software or hardware. Am actually just able to search through the now shared drive on the network and access the content via the tv. Just took a lot of messing round in network settings.

Might be imperfect and not work for everything but it's a starting point for me.

It should take seconds to mount a share and access it using the inbuilt media player, but in 2020 it seems strange that you’d still choose to do things the way they were done almost 20 years ago when we have much, much more user friendly options eg Plex/emby/JF.

People suggesting a no name android box is comparable to a Shield TV should probably rethink life choices, with one exception, they pretty much all have compatibility/support issues and are just poorly designed hardware with full android bodged onto a non touch interface, it’s not great.

Soldato
OP
What's strange about it if it works for me? While Plex and things like it are for sure "pretty" involves another software layer and registering an account etc. I just wanted to keep things as simple as possible.

Soldato
What's strange about it if it works for me? While Plex and things like it are for sure "pretty" involves another software layer and registering an account etc. I just wanted to keep things as simple as possible.

Doing exactly what you are doing now uses the same additional layer of complexity on the client end, in fact if your content isn't in a natively supported format, your client can't play it. As to 'registering an account etc.', you managed to find your way here and do exactly that, seems like a really poor excuse tbh. Still if you have a thing for lists of files, have at it, but it really doesn't scale up that well with volume.

Soldato
OP
Look if I find it doesn't fulfill my needs fully I'll look at another option. I really don't get why this is triggering you so much and why you seem intent on getting me to see the light.

Soldato
Look if I find it doesn't fulfill my needs fully I'll look at another option.

That was exactly the point - you're welcome.

I really don't get why this is triggering you so much and why you seem intent on getting me to see the light.

I don't really get why you think I need you to 'see the light'? Until yesterday you had little/no clue about a folder share or basic networking from your OP, you progressed to basic network shares which you described as a 'starting point'. When it's pointed out that other options that are functionally better exist, suddenly the starting point is a final solution because (insert un-required justification here). If, or when you find that a big list of files doesn't scale up that well, now you at least know other options exist and have a starting point to do your own research. If you need saving or to 'see the light', this probably isn't the right forum :D

Last edited:
Soldato
There is a good reason for that because they are made for a mobile phone in portrait mode using a touchscreen and some even require mouse (says on install screen)

I can still use mobile Android Apps easily using Aptoid over and above FULL Android TV app App made for a TV in landscape mode using a remote. ;)

It does what I need it to do, access usb hd files. Nice and cheap works well for me.

Doesn't bother me it's a touch screen interface, loads up Kodi.

Since the Kodi player plays all files anyway there isn't a need of Plex. If your media player plays the files anyway what is the point of Plex?

Since sub service isn't important then netflix support isn't a concern.

For the money they're fine and I don't have any qualms in recommending them, sure support is dead but it works and four times cheaper.

Certainly better than built in LG oled media player. Octo core 64gb storage, 32gb ram, amlogic s912

Also if I want to use it for cheap desktop computer it's cheap enough not to worry about losing money.

Nothing wrong with accessing folders from network share either. Nice and simple, I would do that too (basically like windows set network drive to a path) once that is done, you can build up Kodi database on those directories so they are all combined into one big database

Permabanned
Still does not make what you said any more relevant, I have best of both worlds but 99% of my use is Emby, I can use Kodi/Emby if I choose and I have my AMZ Prime there if I choose to watch it (I rarely do) and Netflix if I resub if a new show takes my fancy.

The OP's post did not state budget etc and I added my input and that was that.

Soldato
Don't use prime either don't have internet connection, so for me it does the job.

Music media server is Nas with lms with my squeezeboxes, which do better than android box as vfd, phone app support, also bit perfect and Lms is way better than big standard Synology upnp/dnla server.

Back
Top Bottom