Phillip Schofield comes out as gay

Caporegime
Maybe, maybe not. Genetics is far more complicated than it's often portrayed as being. My favourte example of that is eye colour. It's quite well studied because it's easy to measure. But nobody even knows how many genes are involved in determining eye colour, let alone which ones or how. So far, 14 are pencilled in and 12 of those do other things as well. It doesn't seem to be a probabilistic thing or to have environmental factors.

Eh? I never claimed it was simple. How does it not seem to be a probabilistic thing - what you're saying makes it more likely that it is... Certainly inheritance of genes is, that's quite a common example in applied probability courses. Look at it another way - if it were completely deterministic then we'd have likely been able to identify a set of gay genes, instead it's probably a fair bit more complicated than that.

Permabanned
Maybe, maybe not. Genetics is far more complicated than it's often portrayed as being. My favourte example of that is eye colour. It's quite well studied because it's easy to measure. But nobody even knows how many genes are involved in determining eye colour, let alone which ones or how. So far, 14 are pencilled in and 12 of those do other things as well. It doesn't seem to be a probabilistic thing or to have environmental factors.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-02585-6

The largest study to date on the genetic basis of sexuality has revealed five spots on the human genome that are linked to same-sex sexual behaviour

They said some are still unknown, Im sticking with it being partly passed down as well that is where you get the basis of your dna from no? The truth is a lot is still unknown so this is why i think i was not a fool like everyone said. I should have worded it better @Efour maybe it is not like your mum or dad are gay because you are gay, But it could have been passed down partly as i said lots of men with homosexual urges marry and have children. Well what if the woman did the same? Increased chances for same sex behaviour in any child maybe?

Caporegime
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-02585-6

They said some are still unknown, Im sticking with it being partly passed down as well that is where you get the basis of your dna from no? The truth is a lot is still unknown so this is why i think i was not a fool like everyone said. I should have worded it better @Efour maybe it is not like your mum or dad are gay because you are gay, But it could have been passed down partly as i said lots of men with homosexual urges marry and have children. Well what if the woman did the same? Increased chances for same sex behaviour in any child maybe?

Curious quoting.

Nearly half a million genomes reveal five DNA markers associated with sexual behaviour — but none with the power to predict the sexuality of an individual.

But Ganna cautions that these SNPs can’t be used to reliably predict sexual preferences in any individual, because no single gene has a large effect on sexual behaviours.

Seems like a billion year old evolutionary trait is complex and has quite a lot of caveats to me, and that's before we add in sociological factors governing that evolution to hide it from the general populace, though I think if Penguins seem to be fine with it, i doubt prehistoric humans wouldn't be.

I think perhaps one of the main reasons for it is the death rates of mothers and the need to keep offspring safe requiring more than a single patron, that seems to be the most logical need for it if it were a sensible adaption rather than a chaotic one, though this is based mostly on penguins adopting children, could just be a localised event or have different reasons for what's going on there.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm really not. You wouldn't make a connection between a heterosexual man and the rape of a girl, so why make a connection between a homosexual man and the rape of a boy?

I am not making a connection between rape or not. You brought it up not me. I am making the connection between sexual orientation in the brain. If i put Heterosexual in there as well would it make you feel better? As all three are sexual orientations. I used pedophilia as an example because their has been research into the brain and why they have that orientation.

Soldato
I am not making a connection between rape or not. You brought it up not me. I am making the connection between sexual orientation in the brain. If i put Heterosexual in there as well would it make you feel better? As all three are sexual orientations. I used pedophilia as an example because their has been research into the brain and why they have that orientation.

You do realise that everyone and anyone can read the thread, therefore ridiculous revisionism isn't really going to cut it.

Soldato
So is he gay or bi?
Surely he's bi? Or is the point that he believes he's 100% gay despite never being with a man?
So he's bi-curious?

Im confused

Either way I dont really care, plenty of marriages across the land break up for less these days.

fez

fez

Caporegime
One day the world will just not give a **** when something like this is announced and we won't need to have an "outpouring of support and love" yada yada. Maybe its that I just can't stand the constant deluge of celebrities showing us all how woke they are and taking every opportunity to tell us how amazing they all are and how we should behave.

Glad the guy has finally admitted his sexuality to himself and his loved ones but its sad that this is such big news.

Soldato
Should probably have done it BEFORE getting married and having kids though.

No one actually has cared about someone being gay since the 90s. Why hold on to it for this long.

Permabanned
No one actually has cared about someone being gay since the 90s. Why hold on to it for this long.

That shows how ignorant of this you are, or you're really young. In 1999 David Copeland nail bombed the Admiral Duncan pub which is one of Sohos oldest gay pubs . The bomb killed three, injured dozens more. Being out in the 90s wasn't easy. Jody Dobrowski was beaten to death in 2005, simply because he was believed to be gay. He was beaten so badly his family couldn't identify him. He had to be identified by his fingerprints. The two guys that did it, had two weeks early, been involved in an attack on another gay man. In 1993 you had charming people like Colin Ireland. Damilola Taylor was bullied and called gay before he was killed. In 2008 Michael Causer was beaten to death because he was gay. In 2009 Gerry Edwards was stabbed to death by someone shouting homophobic abuse. His partner was also stabbed but survived. And let's not forget that last year two lesbians had the **** kicked out of them on a London bus. There's enough bigotry on display in today's world to remind people it still isn't easy to come out let alone be out despite how easy everyone thinks it is when a celeb comes out as gay.

Permabanned
People get stabbed every day in London for far less.

That doesn't negate what you said, try as you might to attempt to justify it. The simple fact of the matter is that anyone who thinks "no one actually has cared about someone being gay since the 90s" doesn't know what the **** they're talking about.

That shows how ignorant of this you are, or you're really young. In 1999 David Copeland nail bombed the Admiral Duncan pub which is one of Sohos oldest gay pubs . The bomb killed three, injured dozens more. Being out in the 90s wasn't easy. Jody Dobrowski was beaten to death in 2005, simply because he was believed to be gay. He was beaten so badly his family couldn't identify him. He had to be identified by his fingerprints. The two guys that did it, had two weeks early, been involved in an attack on another gay man. In 1993 you had charming people like Colin Ireland. Damilola Taylor was bullied and called gay before he was killed. In 2008 Michael Causer was beaten to death because he was gay. In 2009 Gerry Edwards was stabbed to death by someone shouting homophobic abuse. His partner was also stabbed but survived. And let's not forget that last year two lesbians had the **** kicked out of them on a London bus. There's enough bigotry on display in today's world to remind people it still isn't easy to come out let alone be out despite how easy everyone thinks it is when a celeb comes out as gay.

So he never came out the closet because he was afraid of being beaten to death? :D nothing to do with his mairrage or career?

Permabanned
So he never came out the closet because he was afraid of being beaten to death? :D nothing to do with his mairrage or career?

Do you know how many gay people don't come out because of fears for their careers? Alan Turing wasn't pardoned until late 2013. And only by Royal ascent since a Tory objected to the bill. As for Schofields marriage.... his wife has known for years. And plenty of people had what are called a "marriage of convenience".

This thread is full of straight people, whose opinions on the difficulties gay people face comes from tabloid media and film.

Man of Honour
Should probably have done it BEFORE getting married and having kids though.

It is also possible to be completely in love with someone of the same or opposite sex while having no interest in them sexually while also being bi, straight or gay, though potentially quite a difficult one for a marriage or relationship if that doesn't satisfy both partners. I've met more than one person in that boat - sadly one of the people I have in mind ended up killing themselves over it.

Back
Top Bottom