• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ryzen 5 3600 Discussion Thread

Associate
I was too scared to test inputting 1.41 or whatever so I just said eff it and I'm running everything stock. Weighing the cost/benefit, I can't really afford to be doing any stuff that might damage it and I need this to last atleast 4 years for such an investment. If my current game performance was worse I would maybe consider tinkering but for now I think it's best to play it safe. Thank you everyone for your help

Caporegime
I was too scared to test inputting 1.41 or whatever so I just said eff it and I'm running everything stock. Weighing the cost/benefit, I can't really afford to be doing any stuff that might damage it and I need this to last atleast 4 years for such an investment. If my current game performance was worse I would maybe consider tinkering but for now I think it's best to play it safe. Thank you everyone for your help

You're welcome. :)

Associate

Tbh to difference in performance from stock to OC is minor in terms of raw FPS, I wouldn't worry.

I have the 3600x, it boosts to 4.4Ghz all day long at stock in gaming as where an all core OC will be 4.2-3Ghz. Rather leave it on stock personally.

Associate
Tbh to difference in performance from stock to OC is minor in terms of raw FPS, I wouldn't worry.

I have the 3600x, it boosts to 4.4Ghz all day long at stock in gaming as where an all core OC will be 4.2-3Ghz. Rather leave it on stock personally.

The only reason why I was trying to push for the boost was that the game I happen to play a lot (Overwatch) is VERY sensitive to core speed more than probably any other game and I am almost 99% sure the framerate dips I sometmes have are because I am losing out on seeing that multiple core boost to 4.1/4.2

I just feel kind of betrayed by AMD that I'm not getting what their advertisement states... not even that I just want to get performance by my 3600 chip that other 3600 owners are getting, I feel like that's fair. I'm giving it almost ideal conditions for boosting, better than most people are anyway. A fresh Windows 10 1909 build, a decent b450-f board all on default settings, latest chipset drivers and temps under load of 60c. I know that's not amazing or anything but from what I gather the max temp is 95c. If my chip was to boost to 4.1, I'm guessing it might reach something like 65c. I still feel like that's more than acceptable for this algorithm or whatever to agree

Just on the off chance, are any of you running the 1usmus power plan? I don't mind fiddling with that stuff since it appears to be a safe thing to look into setting up.

Associate
The only reason why I was trying to push for the boost was that the game I happen to play a lot (Overwatch) is VERY sensitive to core speed more than probably any other game and I am almost 99% sure the framerate dips I sometmes have are because I am losing out on seeing that multiple core boost to 4.1/4.2

I just feel kind of betrayed by AMD that I'm not getting what their advertisement states... not even that I just want to get performance by my 3600 chip that other 3600 owners are getting, I feel like that's fair. I'm giving it almost ideal conditions for boosting, better than most people are anyway. A fresh Windows 10 1909 build, a decent b450-f board all on default settings, latest chipset drivers and temps under load of 60c. I know that's not amazing or anything but from what I gather the max temp is 95c. If my chip was to boost to 4.1, I'm guessing it might reach something like 65c. I still feel like that's more than acceptable for this algorithm or whatever to agree

Just on the off chance, are any of you running the 1usmus power plan? I don't mind fiddling with that stuff since it appears to be a safe thing to look into setting up.

I have the hardware in my sig below, all default settings besides RAM on 16-16-16-32 timings. CPU boosts to 4.4Ghz all the time gaming temps around 55c.

I must say I play overwatch and if there are frame dips, I do not notice them and I play on a 240Hz monitor.

I am using Ryzen balance power plan.

Soldato

It will more than likely be the gpu causing dips over the cpu as the difference between a 3600 and a 3600x in most games is like 2 FPS so 200mhz = 2 FPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppQmOuTIKs8

Caporegime

Given that you're only getting 3.9Ghz out of it you're right to feel like that, if it was me i would feel the same way. And i think its a shame because they are good CPU's for little money, if you had told me 3 years ago we would have £800 CPU performance for under £200 in 2019 i would have said you were dreaming.

That doesn't excuse the "4.2Ghz Boost" when you're not even hitting close to that in light loads, Your Motherboard is better than mine, your CPU temps are like mine... there is no reason why you shouldn't be getting between 4.1 and 4.2Ghz in games.

A couple more things if you don't mind.....

Run Cinebench R20, you should be getting about 3700 MT and 470 ST, i would be interested to know what you do score. https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-official-ocuk-cinebench-r20-benchmark-thread.18849380/

Also, MSI RivaTuner (Afterburner OSD) the GPU utilization percentage, when you get those FPS dips, or just in general, what percentage is the GPU running at? what GPU is it?

Caporegime
Cinebench results. I think I did it right.

During multi: https://i.imgur.com/NGrFSGu.png
During single: https://i.imgur.com/03etuqh.png

Single would usually be at 3599 with that voltage constantly. Very briefly would I see numbers like 3,200 and once or twice I saw 4,000 for like half a second

I close the program by accident but single was 470 as you said. 3411 MT

Single would usually be at 3599 with that voltage constantly. Very briefly would I see numbers like 3,200 and once or twice I saw 4,000 for like half a second

That's really odd, ST volts higher than MT but lower Mhz than MT.... that's not normal behaviour, your volts on ST would be higher so that it can clock higher and yet it (Looks at least) like its clocking lower, much too low, however your ST score if around 470 looks right, 'locking' mine to 4.2Ghz i get 490.

Your MT score does look a bit low, maybe...

Mine MT locked to 4.15Ghz.
Score 3757: AMD Ryzen R5 3600 at 4.15Ghz, humbug
ST 4.2Ghz locked.
Score 486: AMD Ryzen R5 3600 at 4.2Ghz, humbug

However...
Score 3524: AMD Ryzen R5 3600 at ??????, Jama

I'm assuming that's stock, so you're about 120 points short of where you should be, i think my prediction of 3700 was maybe 100 points or so too high for stock.

I don't know what to tell you, the clocks that its reading is very low, but the actual performance, at least ST is right where it should be, its only a % or so lower than mine at 4.2Ghz.

Your MT score, it looks higher than the 3.75Ghz reading CPU-Z is showing.

Last edited:
Associate
This 3700x deal for £259 Gibbo has posted is really tempting me to sell my 3600X I recent got but I know I dont need 8 cores.... what to do...

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
This 3700x deal for £259 Gibbo has posted is really tempting me to sell my 3600X I recent got but I know I dont need 8 cores.... what to do...
Do nothing. 4700x ain't that far away, I would get that instead.

Here is my Cinebench, no rush whatsoever and won't be even upgrading for at least 2 years :D

Cinebench-4-4-GHz-1-275v.png

Caporegime
It will more than likely be the gpu causing dips over the cpu as the difference between a 3600 and a 3600x in most games is like 2 FPS so 200mhz = 2 FPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppQmOuTIKs8

no some games the fps can plummit when boosting cores. i used to play a fps game cant remember the name now and the fps drops were horrible. then i checked windows power plan found i was on balanced. swapped it to high performance. no more dropping down. i would do that and try again.

Associate
Do nothing. 4700x ain't that far away, I would get that instead.

Here is my Cinebench, no rush whatsoever and won't be even upgrading for at least 2 years :D

Cinebench-4-4-GHz-1-275v.png

No none graphic 4000 CPUs this year according to Gibbo. At least a year for them.

Associate
Your MT score, it looks higher than the 3.75Ghz reading CPU-Z is showing.

Is there maybe some issue with CPU-Z's clock rate reporting with this latest 1.0.0.4 BIOS? I was under the impression for single core it should have ran at 4000 and not 3600? More importantly, does this mean I have a faulty chip or anything else to try?

Back
Top Bottom