Is this tyre knackered?

Man of Honour
Just replace it. Period. It should have failed an MOT. I've tossed tyres in way better condition that that.

It doesn't fail any of the criteria in the Testing Manual so I disagree - it shouldn't have failed an MOT.

The criteria for condition is below:

(d) A tyre:

(i) with a cut in excess of the requirements deep enough to reach the ply or cords
(ii) with a lump, bulge or tear caused by separation or partial failure of its structure, including any lifting of the tread rubber or with cords exposed or damaged

When assessing cuts in a tyre, it is permissible to check whether a cut is deep enough to reach the ply or cord by using a blunt instrument to open the cut taking care not to cause further damage.

The following criteria should be used when assessing a cut in a tyre:

• any ply or cord that can be seen without touching the tyre - fail
  • if by folding back rubber or opening a cut with a blunt instrument, so as not to cause further damage, exposed ply or cord can be seen irrespective of the size of the cut - fail
  • if a cut which is more than 25mm or 10% of the section width whichever is the greater, is opened with a blunt instrument and cords can be felt but not seen - fail
Before failing a cut, you must make sure it’s the cords that you can feel not a foreign object. If you’re not sure, then you should pass and advise.

When assessing lumps or bulges in a radial ply tyre, care should be taken to distinguish between normal undulations in the carcass, resulting from manufacturing, and lumps or bulges caused by structural deterioration.

Take extra care with stretched tyres because they’re more prone to sidewall damage.

That tyre does not exhibit any of the characteristics described in the reasons for refusal.

Soldato
I wouldn't drive with a tyre like that.

I've just had similar with my mum's car, went for an MOT it had a bulge I had missed on the inside tyre wall. Garage told her budget tyres are fine so they slapped some random brand on the front, one side had done 26k ish with the tread at 4mm the other now brand new. My son is in the car fairly regularly I just borrowed it and replaced both front tyres with some Goodyears. I didn't tell her as I know she won't notice. Also annoying that I got the Goodyears for less than the garage charged for the budget tyre.

Last time she takes her car for an MOT !

Soldato
OP
Doesn't look great. Do you reckon it is still an original tyre from new?

Too much tread on it to have been on for the life of the car at 35k I reckon, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the original spare though or one that's been picked up 2nd hand from a scrap yard.

That said it's a little Meriva, totally unlike anything i've ever owned so god knows how they wear.

Soldato
Is this tyre past the point at which it should be used on the road? Somebody I know has just picked up an 08 plate car that has only has 35k on the clock so I don't know how old these tyres are.

The issue I have is they want to use it to ferry my 2 year old daughter around & with the state of these tyres i'm not sure that's really a good idea, what are peoples thoughts on here?

it's been an advisory on the last few MOT's.

Those are shot. I've seen tyres like that suddenly deflate as it cracks between the tread and the sidewall. As it was a performance car and the cracks started on the inside edge, you couldn't see it until it deflated and we took the wheel off.

Obviously it's not a problem if it lets go while stationary, but on a motorway or fast road, you don't want a sudden deflation.

Caporegime
It doesn't fail any of the criteria in the Testing Manual so I disagree - it shouldn't have failed an MOT.

The criteria for condition is below:

(d) A tyre:

(i) with a cut in excess of the requirements deep enough to reach the ply or cords
(ii) with a lump, bulge or tear caused by separation or partial failure of its structure, including any lifting of the tread rubber or with cords exposed or damaged

When assessing cuts in a tyre, it is permissible to check whether a cut is deep enough to reach the ply or cord by using a blunt instrument to open the cut taking care not to cause further damage.

The following criteria should be used when assessing a cut in a tyre:

• any ply or cord that can be seen without touching the tyre - fail
  • if by folding back rubber or opening a cut with a blunt instrument, so as not to cause further damage, exposed ply or cord can be seen irrespective of the size of the cut - fail
  • if a cut which is more than 25mm or 10% of the section width whichever is the greater, is opened with a blunt instrument and cords can be felt but not seen - fail
Before failing a cut, you must make sure it’s the cords that you can feel not a foreign object. If you’re not sure, then you should pass and advise.

When assessing lumps or bulges in a radial ply tyre, care should be taken to distinguish between normal undulations in the carcass, resulting from manufacturing, and lumps or bulges caused by structural deterioration.

Take extra care with stretched tyres because they’re more prone to sidewall damage.

That tyre does not exhibit any of the characteristics described in the reasons for refusal.

No regulations regarding sidewall markings, or in the case of this tyre lack of them?

Back
Top Bottom