• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Current RT Titles and AMD ?

Soldato
As we are going to get an RT capable GPU from AMD later this year it got me wondering, Are the current RT equipped games exclusive to Nvidia when it comes to enabling RT ?

I know I'm asking a bit of a crystal ball question here but just curious if anyone has read anything about this as I'd quite like to play Control, Battlefield V, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Metro Exodus, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Watch Dogs: Legion, Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2, Cyberpunk etc... with RT turned on, On the upcoming AMD GPU without being locked out by Nvidia, Considering they all use Microsoft's DXR API I'd think yes but you never know with Nvidia being involved.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Games that use DXR should in theory run on AMD hardware when they have a RT solution I believe - I don't think there is a limiting factor at application level there. Those that use Vulkan though I'm not so sure unless they are patched as only nVidia have currently provided routines for Vulkan RT so it looks like they use NV specific extensions and structures i.e. VkAccelerationStructureNV without a fallback path (because one doesn't exist). (I don't think it is a massive barrier though at worst AMD would have to do something like nVidia's DX11 hacks to support older stuff - but whether they'd do that or not another matter and/or the Vulkan API might be updated in some way to work around it).

In theory there is nothing that actually locks it to a vendor though as the API doesn't care what is running underneath as long as it gets compatible results back - so whether it is done by some kind of mess on compute shaders or dedicated RT hardware the only thing that matters really is the performance.

EDIT: Skimming through the source though it is such a ******* mess I dunno who thought the approach in DX12/Vulkan was a good idea it makes for some really baffling code to try and interpret if you didn't write it in the first place.

Last edited:
Soldato
Games that use DXR should in theory run on AMD hardware when they have a RT solution I believe - I don't think there is a limiting factor at application level there. Those that use Vulkan though I'm not so sure unless they are patched as only nVidia have currently provided routines for Vulkan RT so it looks like they use NV specific extensions and structures i.e. VkAccelerationStructureNV without a fallback path (because one doesn't exist). (I don't think it is a massive barrier though at worst AMD would have to do something like nVidia's DX11 hacks to support older stuff - but whether they'd do that or not another matter and/or the Vulkan API might be updated in some way to work around it).

In theory there is nothing that actually locks it to a vendor though as the API doesn't care what is running underneath as long as it gets compatible results back - so whether it is done by some kind of mess on compute shaders or dedicated RT hardware the only thing that matters really is the performance.

EDIT: Skimming through the source though it is such a ******* mess I dunno who thought the approach in DX12/Vulkan was a good idea it makes for some really baffling code to try and interpret if you didn't write it in the first place.

The only complication is the games themselves. Games already released probably have some stupid code that only shows the Ray Tracing graphics menu options when a RTX Nvidia GPU is detected. But maybe you'll be able to force Ray Tracing on in the AMD drivers for older games.

Back
Top Bottom