• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Latency is rumoured to go down quite a bit with Zen 3. Would be disappointing if they can't do this on their last AM4 chips with DDR4 IMO. It will help against Intel in gaming quite a lot apparently.

I would imagine that a large part of the expected 17% rise in IPC is due to improvements in IF, the memory controller, and cache design. But like I said, Zen 4 should bring 5nm EUV, DDR5 .. and there's a good chance the I/O die moves to 7nm, which may offer its own performance improvements for the MC ... I can't imagine their new flagship products' IO die will still be on GF 12 / 14nm FF in mid 2021.

Soldato
Caporegime
Are these desktop 4000's predicted for Q3 do we know or is it all still wrapped in mystery like the GPUs?
I believe it's all guesswork and speculation at this time, tho people have variously mentioned September and October as "likely" dates.

Could be any time, really. Nothing is known for sure.

Associate
I would imagine that a large part of the expected 17% rise in IPC is due to improvements in IF, the memory controller, and cache design. But like I said, Zen 4 should bring 5nm EUV, DDR5 .. and there's a good chance the I/O die moves to 7nm, which may offer its own performance improvements for the MC ... I can't imagine their new flagship products' IO die will still be on GF 12 / 14nm FF in mid 2021.

It will be really revealing to see when the IO die moves to 7nm/5nm. At the moment GloFo 12Nm has fantastic IO libraries that outperform TSMC and Intel, and obviously something that is critical for an IO die. Worth noting that the 12Nm bigger node and substrate is inherently better for lower power and heavy IO work, especially for really high frequency stuff like DDR5 and PCIe4.0.

Last edited:

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

:D:D:D:D

Zen3 is likely to be released quite late this year, I would say September onwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom