why all the hate for hs2?

Permabanned
Fab news, no money for the NHS, the 350million has not appeared, more people on Universal Credit, not getting help, and yet HS2 has been given the go ahead, more people to loose their homes, and wildlife that will die. Fab, truly Fab......

All roads lead to London my friend. If they're don't, then they're not that bothered.

Soldato
And when there's a pile up in the middle, good luck getting the emergency services twenty miles down a bridge. Unless it's all going to be helicopters.

Too much negativity. It’s not as if it’d be the longest bridge in the world. If other bridges of similar or longer length can cope then why couldn’t we? One of the big issues we face in the U.K. is the sheer lack of ambition exhibited by too many as can be seen with all the objections to HS2 as well.

Caporegime
Too much negativity. It’s not as if it’d be the longest bridge in the world. If other bridges of similar or longer length can cope then why couldn’t we? One of the big issues we face in the U.K. is the sheer lack of ambition exhibited by too many as can be seen with all the objections to HS2 as well.

I am all for doing big infrastructure but hs2, which some studies say will cost £150bn now, is just a waste of time and resources.

And we all know what is now going to happen since they have only okayed the first phase to Birmingham and then will consider the northern stage once they have looked at how to reduce the costs.

The first stage will end up costing 90bn and then they will cancel the Northern stage due to it being too costly.

How about I suggest we build a bridge the moon? It will take 300 years and 100% of our GDP. Surely you are just lacking ambition if you poo poo it?

Soldato
It's not a straight cost though we get some of it back in tax from workers pay and hopefully the government has chosen companies that are based in the UK rather than the money being funnelled out of the country.

Still a hell of a lot of money but at some point we have to do something to improve our infrastructure rather than just moan about it being too expensive. I just hope that not only does the northern third stage go ahead but that the whole line is seen as a start for a wider faster network.

Soldato

It would be one of the longest continuous bridges over sea water. The others are over lakes or bays. This latest Boris folly would have to traverse the Irish Sea, some of the roughest water.

How would you get emergency services to an accident through a bridge's worth of tailbacks? Or are you going to do what Boris does and just bluster and handwave without actually having a solution to anything? Getting to and from accidents on bridges and in tunnels is always an issue. How are massive container ships supposed to navigate under a bridge in the Irish Sea, or is the bridge supposed to be half a mile tall?

Caporegime
Can't wait for story every week reminding us about house prices along the route... We all know the real reason this is being built, false sense of investment to shore up the scam construction industry and housing bubble.

And the 'Boris' Bridge isn't going to be built, ever, it'd be like building an airport right on top of the Thames explosives wreck, ******* idiotic. It's a political mistruth to once again move taxpayers money from far more important issues right into Tory chums pockets, to disappear forever into foreign investments or sitting on a mountain of other taxpayers money in tax havens.

Soldato
Ahh, but would it be free?

Toll bridge, Bridge remains the property of England/Wales. :cool:

Not to worry the SNP would lead a Braveheart style charge to capture it from the barbarous English. After they'd paid for its construction, obviously.

The only people who want to go to London these days are rich Arabs, drug gangs and protesters.

And millions of immigrants. Sounds like a good way to funnel them in.

Caporegime
People said that about the channel tunnel though :p

China already built a 34 mile long road bridge across sea, so it can be done. The problem is we seem to lack people with vision now.

The channel tunnel isn't under thousands of tonnes of explosives and WMD's. Any notion whatsoever that there can be a sensible connection over the Irish sea that isn't by boat must be having a laugh.

If it were built no one in their right mind would ever cross it.

Soldato
The channel tunnel isn't under thousands of tonnes of explosives and WMD's. Any notion whatsoever that there can be a sensible connection over the Irish sea must be having a laugh.

It's under the channel, so it probably is under tonnes of explosives...

Soldato
And the 'Boris' Bridge isn't going to be built, ever, it'd be like building an airport right on top of the Thames explosives wreck, ******* idiotic.

Comparing (Potentially) the Montgomery with the Dyke is like comparing Trinity to Ivy Mike! :p :cool:

In practice, I dont really know how dangerous the potential really is, but I have read that well over a million tons of munitions was dropped into the Irish sea after the end of WW2. Whether this could actuall go off cascade style or not I dont know. Probabally not really.

But the best way of bridging the dyke is probably a subsurface bridge. Imagine an inverted suspension bridge relying on buoyancy rather than gravity, and which in turn provides support to the road/rail bed over the sea.

Alternatively one could do the whole thing subsurface as an inverted tethered buoyant subsea tunnel (If you see what I mean)

The stuff in the Dyke is probably safe enough if you don't try driving piles through it.

£100billion+ to expand the London commuter belt into the Midlands. What an absolute joke.

As said before, the only people looking forward to this are those who think they will profit themselves by speculative "Buying Cheap, Selling Dear" in the Midlands/North property market.

IE screwing all the locals out of their own housing!

:mad:

Soldato
People said that about the channel tunnel though :p

China already built a 34 mile long road bridge across sea, so it can be done. The problem is we seem to lack people with vision now.

Let’s be honest though, he couldn’t even build a bridge from London to London so this has no chance! :D

I just heard on the news that the first trains will be running by the end of the decade so it’s all good...

Personally I think that if we are going to do the HS2 thing we should start in the north and upgrade all their links to each other first. Anything to make London less of the hub of everything in the UK. This coming from someone who lives in the south east too.

Back
Top Bottom