Is this tyre knackered?

Associate
Is this tyre past the point at which it should be used on the road? Somebody I know has just picked up an 08 plate car that has only has 35k on the clock so I don't know how old these tyres are.

The issue I have is they want to use it to ferry my 2 year old daughter around & with the state of these tyres i'm not sure that's really a good idea, what are peoples thoughts on here?

it's been an advisory on the last few MOT's.

dyHABlX.jpg
Replace. Quite a time bomb. Wouldn't risk, specially with children.

Soldato
Slash the in laws tyres so they have to be replaced.

Only joking :)

I appreciate it's awkward not being your car, what about borrowing the car and just sticking some maxxis on there?

Soldato
OP
Slash the in laws tyres so they have to be replaced.

Only joking :)

I appreciate it's awkward not being your car, what about borrowing the car and just sticking some maxxis on there?

You might be joking but i'd be doing her a favour. It's several miles busy of NSL roads to get to mine, if that lets go at 60 she's either offing it into a field or taking some other car out head on.

Man of Honour
How is it in such bad condition? I've seen some pretty old tyres on vintage cars that have been in better condition. I wouldn't even trust that around town. Even an accident at 30mph isn't particularly fun.

Soldato
OP
An update, car is sat outside & i'm not at work today so had a proper look, looks like all four tyres are past it in my opinion & I have found the manufacture date markings.

Their manufacture dates are -
  • Week 49 2014
  • Week 37 2013
  • Week 02 2008
  • Week 48 2007
So at least 2 of the tyres are 12 - 13 years old, i'm a bit baffled how one predates the registration of the car & is a random Chinese brand so wouldn't have left the factory with it, it is of course also cracked to hell but it was wet yesterday so wasn't as visible, the 2008 tyre is a continental of some description so I presume this one is actually factory fitted as it matches the cars reg year.

Front passenger side tyre also has a gash which i'm pretty sure is down to the cords.

Soldato
An update, car is sat outside & i'm not at work today so had a proper look, looks like all four tyres are past it in my opinion & I have found the manufacture date markings.

• Week 49 2014
  • Week 37 2013
  • Week 02 2008
  • Week 48 2007
So at least 2 of the tyres are 12 - 13 years old, i'm a bit baffled how one predates the registration of the car & is a random Chinese brand so wouldn't have left the factory with it, it is of course also cracked to hell but it was wet yesterday so wasn't as visible, the 2008 tyre is a continental of some description so I presume this one is actually factory fitted as it matches the cars reg year.

Front passenger side tyre also has a gash which i'm pretty sure is down to the cords.
Book a mobile fitter to come to your house and do them when the MIL is there next tell her to consider it an early christmas present.

Soldato

• Week 49 2014
  • Week 37 2013
  • Week 02 2008
  • Week 48 2007

Someone's been buying cheap retreads and reject tyres.. because why spend money on them when they are only going to wear out?

Soldato
If she's had the car for 'x' years and there are no bangs, then she's probably low risk ? (and, an extended CRB check is clear)

more importantly, have you yourself, sat in the passenger seat ? driver error is statistically more likely to be accident cause.

Soldato
i'm a bit baffled how one predates the registration of the car & is a random Chinese brand so wouldn't have left the factory with it,
This is probably because a "new" tyre can have been produced up to 5 years before.

Tyres are considered to be “new” and fit for retail up to 5 years from the date of production.

This is an industry standard based on the German BRV.

When in use, it is recommended that tyres are replaced when they reach 7 - 10 years old, (6 years in the case of caravans or trailers).

Soldato
Some people don’t consider tyres to be important, some don’t even consider or think about them.

Something like 10+ years ago I had a phone call from my neighbour asking if I could come and pick him up, said he’d had an accident. Got there to find that on a roundabout his car had driven straight rather then round the roundabout, straight through a wall and into the driveway of a house. Conditions were damp and I asked him what happened and he just said he wasn’t too sure. Last week he came round and the talk got onto to tyres as I had been out to put new tyres on the car. He then spurred out that all his tyres had cost him around £30 or less and he had always got part worns from a dodgy tyre place down the road. Thought immediately of the accident he had had years back as it all now made sense.

Take a walk down your street and look at the tyres on the parked cars, you will be shocked.

Associate
Some people don’t consider tyres to be important, some don’t even consider or think about them.

Something like 10+ years ago I had a phone call from my neighbour asking if I could come and pick him up, said he’d had an accident. Got there to find that on a roundabout his car had driven straight rather then round the roundabout, straight through a wall and into the driveway of a house. Conditions were damp and I asked him what happened and he just said he wasn’t too sure. Last week he came round and the talk got onto to tyres as I had been out to put new tyres on the car. He then spurred out that all his tyres had cost him around £30 or less and he had always got part worns from a dodgy tyre place down the road. Thought immediately of the accident he had had years back as it all now made sense.

Take a walk down your street and look at the tyres on the parked cars, you will be shocked.

amount of cars i have seen in supermarket car parks on the walk to get in mine where tyres are shot and more worryingly is van tyres wrecked too

Caporegime
UV dries out the plasticiser which will crack. Same as vinyl roofs on convertibles.

Don’t see why the tyre being older than car registration is confusing. Obviously the tyre was made before the car.

Back
Top Bottom