been away from pc game 4 long time due to major illness 3k ish 2 spend

Associate
so ive been sick for quite a while but slowly getting better and i think time to get back into gamimg properly. ive managed to save up a considerable sum IMO as a if i get better ill get a nice pc motivator was more for my mental health than anything. but now we appear to be there.

i have no idea where the pc market has gone since about early 2013. (wow this illness has stolen 7 years of my life)

so i have a 1070ti from little bro

i have got 3k cash i could spend but would rather not blow it all if i only need to spend half that for a good experience

got old 120hz 1080p monitor as well but this 4k gaming seems nice

is it worh sticking with the 1070ti until amd/nvidia release their next gen cards that i hear are coming in june?

any help at all would be appreciated as i have no clue where to start i would need a 4k monitor though if i went down 4k route

Soldato
3840x2160 is still lacking as far as monitor selection goes... especially if you want good refresh rates and good size monitor instead of smallish 27".
Heck, even 2560x1440 selection is seriously lacking in 32" with no above 60Hz IPS panels.
And who knows when ever that CES paper announced stuff is actually available:
https://www.displayninja.com/new-monitors/
Many of those higher resolution high refresh rate panels were originally supposed to be in production year or more ago.
27" 2560x1440 again has full selection of models.

From different panels IPS is the best in normal room lightning, but in darker room it struggles against VA's best of LCD's contrast/black value.

If you want long lasting value for spent money using that 1070 Ti for now would be the best.
Right now is pretty much historically bad time to buy expensive GPU and in some half year we'll likely have big amount better performance per money in more expensive card.
Not to forget should get ability to actually use raytracing without performance crashing down 30-50%.
That's how badly RTX cards perform in their marketing feature.

In CPUs Ryzen 3700X at £275 is huge margin winner in bang per buck.
8 cores/16 threads is minimum if you want high end performance for any longer time.
Next-gen consoles coming in fall/before Christmas have pretty much that same CPU underclocked for power efficiency.
Hence that's going to be the base level for future multiplatter games.
AMD also has 12 core/24 thread Ryzen 3900X at £440, which can handle background tasks.
But unlike Intel artificially changing socket multiple times per architecture and charging full prices for older model AMD also has good upgrade options.
Improved architecture Zen3 coming at summer will be BIOS update compatible with current boards and as prices of older serie drops that would likely give nice prices for 12c/24t in fall 21/winter 22.
Changing CPU to Zen3 then would give the longest performing life from same platform.

Besides those would also make sure other aspect of gaming immersion, sound, is at good level.
Though getting to good level in that is ridiculousy cheap compared to everything else, unless you want speakers.
Better surround speakers sets aren't that cheap and would also need decent room acoustics for sound to stay intact.
But good headphones from actual audio makers can be had starting from £100 level.
And good sound card to do binaural sound simulation and capable to driving most headphones is another fair £100.
That's semi free compared to graphics cards, besides holding value for long time.

Soldato
is it worh sticking with the 1070ti until amd/nvidia release their next gen cards that i hear are coming in june?

Yes, you should wait to upgrade the GPU. your 1070 Ti is still an excellent card. You should set aside £1000 for the next halo card from Nvidia. The monitor you want is the Acer Nitro 4K:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £911.09 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Running your games from 2013 at 120Hz at 4k will lend them a new lease of life.

Soldato
RPG games look at Witcher 3 game of the year edition and also divinity 2.
First person shooter games look at doom 2016
Real time strategy games I highly recommend Warhammer 1 and 2 total war, also three kingdoms total war.

Soldato
High profile games that flopped hard and to avoid at all cost due to incomplete, buggy and broken promises, predatory demonetisation:
Star Wars Battlefont 2
Destiny 2
Anthem
Fallout 76

Games worth checking out:
Monster Hunter World
Resident Evil 2 Remake (definitely worth checking out if you are a fan of the original)
Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot

Back
Top Bottom