The nervous wait to exchange....

Associate
Feel like can breathe now. But so much to do. I want to set up the living room but need to strip wallpaper.

How are you guys going ?

Still stripping paper in ours. Main bedroom is stripped and I was filling screw holes and some cracks/missing plaster last night. Got my Mum and Step-dad stripping the living room today whilst I am at work. They offered as they are retired and wanted to do something to help! Saves me a job lol.

We seem to have got lucky and the paper that is up was put in in April 1989. It has come off clean so far bar a few small scrapes of paint. Not needed chemical stripper or steam yet. Just pulling off top layer and then cold water is bringing up the liner/adhesive. Quick wash with sugar soap and the walls are pretty much ready for filler/sanding and paint.

Soldato
Just got draft contracts and contents through, seller has suddenly got a shift on and wants to complete by end of March! Can't see that happening...

Caporegime
Still stripping paper in ours. Main bedroom is stripped and I was filling screw holes and some cracks/missing plaster last night. Got my Mum and Step-dad stripping the living room today whilst I am at work. They offered as they are retired and wanted to do something to help! Saves me a job lol.

We seem to have got lucky and the paper that is up was put in in April 1989. It has come off clean so far bar a few small scrapes of paint. Not needed chemical stripper or steam yet. Just pulling off top layer and then cold water is bringing up the liner/adhesive. Quick wash with sugar soap and the walls are pretty much ready for filler/sanding and paint.

We've started picking a few bits off in another room and thankfully seems a lot better underneath !
One room at a time!

Associate
We've started picking a few bits off in another room and thankfully seems a lot better underneath !
One room at a time!

we are currently doing 3 rooms at a time. I’ve just finished sanding walls, putting up coving and chasing in new sockets in our bedroom (Dads a sparky to he is checking and advising to ensure it’s right) Skirting is tomorrow with final filling and then on to paint and wallpaper in the week.

living room is being stripped back and plasterer came today to quote for redoing ceiling to get rid of woodchip ceiling. Looking to put up 3/8 plasterboard over the top and skim it in. Easier than removing the woodchip.

Hallway being stripped too so I can cleanup. Once done I can rip skirts off living room and hallway and lay a new LVT floor throughout and then new skirting.

far too many trips to screwfix and spent way too much on power tools but it’s fun doing all this work ourselves.

spoke to plumber friend in the week. He dropping by this week to start plan on bathrooms. Probably get them kicked off before end of month.

all in all. It’s busy in this house and having 2 kids makes it all that much harder lol.

Associate
I'd really better start getting rid of this kitchen I have sat in my garage. Where's the best place to advertise it these days?

I just moved and got rid of all manner of garbage, and some decent stuff, in a matter of days on Gumtree. Dunno about a kitchen though, that seems a bit more like an actual proper purchase than a Gumtree "come pick it up NOW and give me a few quid to save me skipping it"!

Associate
Just moved from a rented 3 bed bungalow that was massive but horribly inefficient in terms of heating and the like given it was a 70s number. Now in a new build 2 bed flat which is tiny in comparison but wow is it warm!

The problem is that I, being a stereotypical man have a grand total of about 3 bags worth of stuff to move, other than my computer stuff. My gf on the other hand filled the 3 bed bungalow and then some and has now decided that she will "find a space" for stuff once we are in. Needless to say I am crammed into a tiny corner of a room with my PC whilst she "finds spaces", or as I put it "stuffing random crap into places and then realising that you need that space for other random crap that is slightly more needed". I suggested a storage locker as a short term solution, that got me looked at like I had just suggested her first born should be a human sacrifice.

All in all................................. renting might not have been so bad but I live in Scotland so having insulation and heating might just be worth the earache.

Soldato
I just moved and got rid of all manner of garbage, and some decent stuff, in a matter of days on Gumtree. Dunno about a kitchen though, that seems a bit more like an actual proper purchase than a Gumtree "come pick it up NOW and give me a few quid to save me skipping it"!

Spose Gumtree is a worth a go. I'd like to get a bit more than just a few quid, it's all Siemens appliances, double thickness worktop. Paid 5.5k euros for it all about 6 years ago. Anyone need a kitchen? :D This is it when it was installed.

<insert rant about Germans and their daft habit of taking kitchens with them in rental properties>

0ttASjH.jpg

nDFOudW.jpg

Associate
Spose Gumtree is a worth a go. I'd like to get a bit more than just a few quid, it's all Siemens appliances, double thickness worktop. Paid 5.5k euros for it all about 6 years ago. Anyone need a kitchen? :D This is it when it was installed.

<insert rant about Germans and their daft habit of taking kitchens with them in rental properties>

Yeah you a'int selling that quick on Gumtree :) TV stands, treadmill, washing machine, and a sofa all went in minutes. A kitchen, not so much :)

Soldato
Facebook > gumtree, that said just list on all those sites/apps

that said you’ll not get anything close to what you paid for it. Few hundred at the most in the UK.

The problem with fitted kitchens is that they only really fit in the first one you build it in.

Soldato
Finally managed to get the land registry challenges sorted (after almost self managing the solution, with a few choice complaints) and exchanged contracts today with completion set for next Friday!

Was 50/50 in my mind as to whether we'd get to this point out pull out so very happy! Now trying to get everything lined up for the move!

Soldato
Was getting the projector out to check bulb hours before putting up for sale, now sat watching the rugby on it...think I am going to try and find a way to get a discrete install in the top floor of the house if it all goes through.

Really do need to shift this poxy kitchen though.

Survey next week, really hope we can exchange in the the next few weeks.

Caporegime
Feels like a distant memory already

Well on way with redecoration etc. Hand off the old rental this week. Still living in chaos.

But amazing how the things you worry about can change so quickly

Soldato
Got most of the checks out of way now, just need to wait for the last one and get survey back which was done today....would love to exchange in the next couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom