Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
You mean like it appears to be compatible with the socket in the Gen 10 Plus? At a compatible TDP? That at 8 cores & 16 threads it's a signigficant upgrade? That it's the best of that series at that TDP?

Thank you for your spectacular display of ignorance.

Let me requote @Snapshot:

(Bolding mine.)

Oh no, thank you :D

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...n-e-2278gel-processor-16m-cache-2-00-ghz.html

Speaking of spectacular ignorance, thankfully one of us understands the term ‘embedded’ in this context. As you clearly think it’s not me, how about you explain how you plan on installing a CPU that is in effect an SoC soldered direct to the board (think Xeon-D) to a socketed board? Hint: custom PCB mount, removal of IHS, shim to protect core and modified cooler brackets are all terms that you may need to get familiar with and the Chinese sellers who have done this kind of thing usually use ES/QS laptop chips with very mixed results.

Soldato
You mean like it appears to be compatible with the socket in the Gen 10 Plus? At a compatible TDP? That at 8 cores & 16 threads it's a signigficant upgrade? That it's the best of that series at that TDP?

Thank you for your spectacular display of ignorance.

Let me requote @Snapshot:

(Bolding mine.)
Please don't use me as justification for your lack of knowledge.

Soldato
It’s easy/cheap to add an internal NVMe/M2/SATA card if required, the exact opposite of adding embedded CPU’s to a socketed board :D

Actually the jury is still out on that last. I found somewhere offering one as an upgrade for one of their products and Intel do list it as FLGA. But I await confirmation.

Soldato
Is it worth migrating my Server 2012 R2 installation to Windows 10 Pro on my Gen8 you think guys? And also does it patch itself up to the latest version of Windows 10?

OEM key is only £7 but would be a pain re-installing everything and doing the hack to make the Gen8 boot from the ODD in AHCI mode.

Soldato
Is it worth migrating my Server 2012 R2 installation to Windows 10 Pro on my Gen8 you think guys? And also does it patch itself up to the latest version of Windows 10?

OEM key is only £7 but would be a pain re-installing everything and doing the hack to make the Gen8 boot from the ODD in AHCI mode.

You may pay someone £7 for an 'OEM' key, but ask yourself if that sounds like it's going to be a legitimate key? Remember what a legitimate Server 2012 R2 licence (should have) cost you. As to the ODD question, people stopped buying them almost a decade ago, use a USB flash drive and yes, whatever you install will update to the latest available version.

Soldato
You may pay someone £7 for an 'OEM' key, but ask yourself if that sounds like it's going to be a legitimate key? Remember what a legitimate Server 2012 R2 licence (should have) cost you. As to the ODD question, people stopped buying them almost a decade ago, use a USB flash drive and yes, whatever you install will update to the latest available version.

I meant i have a SSD in the ODD bay. Got like 5 2012 R2 licenses free from some Microsoft membership you used to be able to sign up to.

Soldato
Any tricks to make a gen8 quieter? Think it's a120nm pwm fan?

Can someone remind me what driver I need for the raid controller?

Windows has **** itself but I have another box running server essentials that has daily backups stored and has a pxe boot environment running to do the restore.

Just can't remember what drivers I need to load. Think I had this last time I installed Windows and I've probably put the file in one of those really really safe places for future use....you know the type!

Soldato
Any newer offers than this? That's a dreadful website to navigate.

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_abaa5952034546cf8b66d214e9

RECOMMENDED * HPE Dynamic Smart Array B120i/B320i SATA RAID Controller Driver for 64-bit Microsoft Windows Server 2012/2016 Editions

Type: Driver - Storage
Version: 62.16.0.64(A)(11 Aug 2017)
Operating System(s): Microsoft Windows Server 2012
Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Essentials
Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2
Microsoft Windows Server 2016
File name: cp033111.exe (1.3 MB)

Hitman
Soldato
Looking to build a NAS for home and trying to weigh up a Gen10 Plus E-2224 versus something like Synology - I'd like to be able to run a separate VM and SQL server so leaning more towards the Gen10, and throwing in 2x 8TB drives initially for local storage and bump the RAM up to 32GB.

In terms of installing an OS, it doesn't seem to have an NVME slot but does have a PCIe Gen3 slot - can I use some kind of expansion card to slot into that then mount an NVME drive into that? I see it was mentioned above but need a bit of hand-holding before I bit the bullet!

Soldato
Looking to build a NAS for home and trying to weigh up a Gen10 Plus E-2224 versus something like Synology - I'd like to be able to run a separate VM and SQL server so leaning more towards the Gen10, and throwing in 2x 8TB drives initially for local storage and bump the RAM up to 32GB.

In terms of installing an OS, it doesn't seem to have an NVME slot but does have a PCIe Gen3 slot - can I use some kind of expansion card to slot into that then mount an NVME drive into that? I see it was mentioned above but need a bit of hand-holding before I bit the bullet!

STH are apparently goign to run an article soon on potential upgrades etc. you should be able to put an m2 drive in a low profile PCIE adapter in theory.

You could always boot from a USB device for your OS if your running something like freesnas or esx?

If the Gen10+ Xeon E version is much over £500 it might be worth building your own (there are nice DIY chassis avaliable)

Hitman
Soldato
STH are apparently goign to run an article soon on potential upgrades etc. you should be able to put an m2 drive in a low profile PCIE adapter in theory.

You could always boot from a USB device for your OS if your running something like freesnas or esx?

If the Gen10+ Xeon E version is much over £500 it might be worth building your own (there are nice DIY chassis avaliable)

Ah cool thanks - I'll hold tight and see if they push something out on the upgrade front, not in a big rush, just trying to get a feel for prices to see what works out cheaper and makes the most sense based on needs. I was looking to run a Windows installation on the Gen10 front so I could add in some additional VMs/SQL server for work, I have some spare parts including an NVME drive already so was looking to repurpose it. I'll keep checking STH to see if they put anything out in the mean time!

Back
Top Bottom