When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
If we were a “pioneering country” we would push to 2030.

That's a very ambitious goal, and I'd commend anyone for trying that but we are relying on this working on a global scale in order to increase the volume of BEV's so it would probably costs a great deal more to bring it forward another couple of years. One of the main things putting people off seems to be the upfront costs, and accelerating this transition would in the short term slow down the cost decrease that is slowly happening.

Soldato
Picking the EU average energy mix:

The difference in CO2 from production is 11.4-5.8 = 5.6 tonnes = 5,600,000g (or [57g-29g]×200,000km life cycle used).
The difference in "well to wheel" emissions is 151g-62g = 89g.
The break even point happens at 5,600,000g ÷ 89g per km = 62,921km, or around 39,000 miles.

wasn't sure where you grabbed the decimal point precision, but I got :

co2 diesel = electric (z = perecentage of 200k life)

(100+11) z + 29 = 62 z + 57 => 49 z = 28 => z = 0.57 => 71K miles bev & ice co2 output is equal

using data from graph If you fill up with green electricity, you are clearly more environmentally friendly: the CO₂ balance of an electric car depends heavily on the electricity mix

...... I'll look again later

Soldato
wasn't sure where you grabbed the decimal point precision, but I got :

co2 diesel = electric (z = perecentage of 200k life)

(100+11) z + 29 = 62 z + 57 => 49 z = 28 => z = 0.57 => 71K miles bev & ice co2 output is equal

using data from graph If you fill up with green electricity, you are clearly more environmentally friendly: the CO₂ balance of an electric car depends heavily on the electricity mix

...... I'll look again later

Straight off this graph:

Website_Strommix_EN_1163.png

It shows CO2 emissions per km over 200,000km. So the total CO2 manufacturing cost of the diesel is 29g × 200,000km = 5.8 tonnes. For eGolf it's 57g x 200,000km = 11.4 tonnes.

The break-even point therefore comes when 11.4 - 5.8 = 5.6 tonnes of CO2 are saved during use. Each mile driven saves (100g + 11g) - 62g = 48g.

Divide 5.6 tonnes by 48g and you have the break-even point in kilometers.

EDIT: I read the graph wrong :rolleyes: I had 151g CO2/km when it's only 111. So there's 48g difference in "well to wheel", not 89g. So break-even at 116,700km, or 73,000 miles.

Carbon Brief lists the UK fuel cycle emissions at 29g CO2/km. That would drop the B/E point to 68,000km. It also has the EU lower at 44g CO2/km. I do wonder at the reason for the difference between VW's figures and CB's. Could be time; the VW ones aren't dated and could easily be a few years old.

It'll be interesting to see how the numbers change with the ID.3. The eGolf isn't the most efficient of EVs, while VW have been pushing the green credentials of the ID range quite hard, with Tesla-like environmental claims.

Last edited:
Permabanned
It is listed as 0-62 in 4 seconds, doesnt this sound rather underwhelming for a 523hp dual motor electric?

Yeah somewhat, expect its pretty hefty! Right size for me, decent enough performance, good range, will all come down to the price vs a M340i next family car change I think. (Also how it looks)

Dont know how concrete the details are so far though.

Soldato
My prediction to what we'll actually be buying new in 2035 as a complete layman when it comes to the automotive industry...

I think we'll see a backing away from the 250+ mile range battery packs on anything other than premium models.

Everyday brands will then be split between pure EV and hydrogen range extenders. Both with batteries providing around a 150 mile range (possibly a bit less on the range extenders).

Now just a 15 year wait to be proven completely wrong :D

Soldato
[
It'll be interesting to see how the numbers change with the ID.3.
yes - hadn't registered data wasn't, consistantly, for ID3.

I'd, seen, posted, I thought, similar 70K'ish break point for Model 3
]

BMW i4 looks interesting
with the same platform as the ice cars, will this compromise i4 handling, or maintenance costs, albeit, the e-corsa sub floorpan battery, seems elegant.

Soldato
Not getting into the green debate at all, but I bought (well, leased due to the tax breaks!) an iPace a month ago. Absolutely loving the car and drive train so far. Currently in Scotland after a super easy drive up charging at Gretna (IONITY) and a few free charges on the Charge Scotland network.

I’m sure it won’t be cheap for ever once it becomes mainstream, but ignoring all that, I’m finding EV ownership fantastic. Power delivery is immense and one peddle driving a revelation for both easy commutes to the office and enthusiastic drives in the highlands.

only downside so far is that my motorbikes suddenly feel slow.

I’m sure it won’t suit everyone just yet, but for my usage electric is perfect.

Man of Honour
Noticed yesterday afternoon they've put a bunch of fast chargers up in the Morrisons near(ish) me in the last couple of weeks or so. I was in the vicinity for a few hours and didn't see anyone using them though.

Give me a vehicle that is similar size and weight to my pickup (just over 2 ton) with similar range (~450 miles on a full tank though I'd manage with a little less) and not like a 30 grand premium just for the EV side of it I'd happily move over - though I currently have a private lane and parking area big enough for 6-7 cars which makes it a lot more painless in terms of charging.

Soldato
Has anyone here any experience of a leaf, My wife is leaning towards getting one (not the top model, the next one down the tekna). I'm guessing it will be a bit of a comedown from her focus st, but whats the space like and how well does it drive?

Soldato
Has anyone here any experience of a leaf, My wife is leaning towards getting one (not the top model, the next one down the tekna). I'm guessing it will be a bit of a comedown from her focus st, but whats the space like and how well does it drive?

A family member has one and likes it a lot. So much that he then bought an i-Pace as well. They find the seats slightly uncomfortable for longer trips, but otherwise it's great. Vs the Focus ST, it's probably quicker 0-30, so in the real world it may well feel quicker a good proportion of the time.

Soldato
Give me a vehicle that is similar size and weight to my pickup (just over 2 ton) with similar range
Guy from Dagenham, did make the point this morning, what happens to the lgv/hgv segment on D day, and the transit engine workers,
those vehicles contribute a third of vehicle co2 emissions

Soldato
I don’t think there will be a huge issue with vans, there EV versions coming to market very shortly. I’d expect the payload will be slightly reduced though due to the additional weight. The form factor makes them quite easy to electrify.

There are quite a few EV small vans on the market and Ford have already announced EV transits.

While vans do tend to do moon mileage, like the car market most don’t tend to do huge distances in one go. It tends to be more of a consistent amount each day within a local area.

HGVs is a different kettle of fish, lots of people working on them but not any compelling options you can actually buy yet.

Caporegime
My prediction to what we'll actually be buying new in 2035 as a complete layman when it comes to the automotive industry...

I think we'll see a backing away from the 250+ mile range battery packs on anything other than premium models.

Everyday brands will then be split between pure EV and hydrogen range extenders. Both with batteries providing around a 150 mile range (possibly a bit less on the range extenders).

Now just a 15 year wait to be proven completely wrong :D

How much have cars improved
I don’t think there will be a huge issue with vans, there EV versions coming to market very shortly. I’d expect the payload will be slightly reduced though due to the additional weight. The form factor makes them quite easy to electrify.

There are quite a few EV small vans on the market and Ford have already announced EV transits.

While vans do tend to do moon mileage, like the car market most don’t tend to do huge distances in one go. It tends to be more of a consistent amount each day within a local area.

HGVs is a different kettle of fish, lots of people working on them but not any compelling options you can actually buy yet.

Are you kidding me. Most engineering firms that I work with travel all over the country in their vans non stop. In the world where time is money a van cannot sit outside a Costa coffee for 30 mins and needs to be able to do 300-400 miles a day.

I honestly do not know how we are going to make this pledge in 15 years. Power stations take years to build and need to be started now. Electricity is not going to come out of thin air!

Back
Top Bottom