3900X on Wraith Prism temps OK?

Soldato
Hey guys,

Just changed my setup, not going to bore you with details..

Its on a 3900X with a stock cooler.. are these idle temps ok? I believe that Ryzen temps are a bit higher compared to Intel? Is that correct?

Also its a bit weird as I don't have the 360mm Rad AIO now so I suppose that is a factor too!

vpRIDZV.jpg

Soldato
OP
Just played a 35min session of BFV on 64 man conquest..

CPU in-game : 63c
GPU in-game : 60c

On 3840 x 1080p ULTRA, I was only getting about 65-80 fps.. :(

Played good, only one thing was the screen flickering, it seems to have done this on other AMD cards in the past? Is it an AMD issue? e.g. drivers?

Only other thing is, man, does it run loud! I mean real loud :eek:

My only saving grace on this is, im not right next to my tower, and when gaming I have headphones on anyway, but, luckily I live on my own :p

Soldato
OP
Just installed my new GPU, (2080s).

RMAing my 5700XT due to, black screening, some in game stuttering and on menu etc.. flickering :confused:

Hate to put a damper on it, but after trying AMD GPU a few months ago, I gave them another go this week, but no.. still dodgy driver issues..

Since going back to NVIDIA I have had a seamless experience, (apart from the install, and drivers put on).. and it just works!

And also my rig is totally silent at idle / low usage..which I honestly thought was the 3900X / System fans.. but again no, was the blower cooler on the 5700XT! :eek::(

---

Just played a game of BFV there, on my 3900X and 2080s. Was on 64 man conquest, 3840x1080 at Ultra settings (including Ray Tracing on Ultra) and was getting minimums of mid 50s and averaging around 75-80c!

Would that be considered as "good" considering the RT is on also? There were no stutters, black screening or flickering either! :)

Temps a little higher than I would like though!

GPU - 70c
CPU - 69c

During gaming session!

But the system was quiet considering, and they both are stock on performance and for heat dissipation!

Any input appreciated guys! Thanks :)

Soldato
OP
Adding guys..

Is this normal operation for the CPU? Everything is fine, and the power consumption / usage is very minimal and but the clocks remain high? Is this OK?

8PuCusB.jpg

Soldato
Bit of FYI, AMD says 95c is max safe temp for AMD Ryzen 9 3900X. Personally, I would want to keep it below 80c.
https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-3900x

According to Nvidia the RTX 2080 has a maximum GPU temperature of 88C; which is lower than previous generations which were 94C and higher. Normally, staying below 80C was recommended for long-term, safe operating temp. So based on that I would keep 2080 below 72-74c.
From Nvideo forum post:
"I got an email from nvidia support saying that the 2080FE will start to throttle at 89c."
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/discover/284291/max-temp-for-a-rtx-2080-asus-dual-/

It might be safe to run right up to throttle, but I have always preferred keeping temps well below throttle / maximum spec.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Adding guys..

Is this normal operation for the CPU? Everything is fine, and the power consumption / usage is very minimal and but the clocks remain high? Is this OK?

High? It's down clocking to 2200mhz in that screenshot.......

Soldato
OP
Bit of FYI, AMD says 95c is max safe temp for AMD Ryzen 9 3900X. Personally, I would want to keep it below 80c.
https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-3900x

According to Nvidia the RTX 2080 has a maximum GPU temperature of 88C; which is lower than previous generations which were 94C and higher. Normally, staying below 80C was recommended for long-term, safe operating temp. So based on that I would keep 2080 below 72-74c.
From Nvideo forum post:
"I got an email from nvidia support saying that the 2080FE will start to throttle at 89c."
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/discover/284291/max-temp-for-a-rtx-2080-asus-dual-/

It might be safe to run right up to throttle, but I have always preferred keeping temps well below throttle / maximum spec.

Thanks for the info doyll, will give it a good once over! Glad to know that my temps are below what you would consider "safe long term"..

High? It's down clocking to 2200mhz in that screenshot.......

Yeah, it downclocks no probs, I just assumed that it clocking up and down was a problem :confused:

My OCD / paranoia getting the better of me here :p :rolleyes:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Yeah, it downclocks no probs, I just assumed that it clocking up and down was a problem :confused:

My OCD / paranoia getting the better of me here :p :rolleyes:

No, it's supposed to do that. Even if you think the comp is idle, it will be doing short quick bursts of processing (network packets, updating the display etc) so the cpu spikes it's speed to cope with that - also remember that you have 12 cores, so it's probably only spiking one core and leaving the other down clocked, but this isn't visible in your monitoring program (these programs haven't really been updated the way the monitor systems since the four core days). Open something like Ryzen Master if you want a better understanding of what your system is doing.

Soldato
OP
No, it's supposed to do that. Even if you think the comp is idle, it will be doing short quick bursts of processing (network packets, updating the display etc) so the cpu spikes it's speed to cope with that - also remember that you have 12 cores, so it's probably only spiking one core and leaving the other down clocked, but this isn't visible in your monitoring program (these programs haven't really been updated the way the monitor systems since the four core days). Open something like Ryzen Master if you want a better understanding of what your system is doing.

Awesome, thanks for clearing that up for me mate. Chuffed to bits now! :D :p

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Awesome, thanks for clearing that up for me mate. Chuffed to bits now! :D :p

Yeah, Ryzens with all their modern tech and sensors behave differently to the decade old Intels - what you have observed is perfectly normal.

Enjoy your cpu, the 3900x is a best :)

Soldato
OP
Hey guys, quick question, (not like me :p )

Happy with my setup now, really I am :D..

just played a quick "domination" game on COD MW. Upon leaving my system has been dead silent which is awesome..but..the temps when peaked were quite high (CPU averaging mid 60's, and the GPU peaking at 74c).

Now I know they are "safe temps", but would you guys leave as is? Or should I do some tweaking?

Soldato
I always tweak fan curve to optimize silent / low noise levels. Fans only become audible at extreme load if at all.

Soldato
OP
Sure, should be no problem.

Still have an issue with my temps..my CPU is OK at about low-mid 60s..

My GPU has a custom fan curve, and I just played a mission of Division 2 there, and although my GPU was maxed out at 100% usage, the temps were peaking at 74c and that was the fan speed in the 80s on the curve?

Now granted I have a case designed for noise more than thermals, and it is cooking in my room atm, deos that still sound reasonable for temps?

Back
Top Bottom