Would you extend warranty not long before selling?

Don
Looking to sell the F-Type (privately) around July time (had it over 4 years)

Its been under Jag extended warranty since the original warranty expired

The warranty is transferable if the full year is paid up (renewal is April)

Options are

1 Don't renew

2 Pay the year up (about £1200) and hope to increase sale price

3 Pay monthly, you have to pay over odds as you over 10 months so are always ahead of yourself, this would allow a new buyer to take it over at cost if they want or cancel if they don't (I would lose a little as I would have overpaid a bit)

I'm leaning towards option 3 due to flexibility and hoping that car car under manufacturer warranty will be an easier sell

Don
OP
Would that not make the car less desirable to sell? as a relatively high value car from private sale I thought it would give a buyer some confidence

Soldato
They dont always move with the car and it needs the buyer to do things to take it on. When I sold a car with an extended warranty they didnt care so I ended up cancelling and getting a refund.

Don
OP
They dont always move with the car and it needs the buyer to do things to take it on. When I sold a car with an extended warranty they didnt care so I ended up cancelling it.

I've checked and it's 100% transferable :)

Just need to fill a quick form in and ensure main dealer service history to date (which it is) , it's only transferable to a private buyer though

Soldato
I'd say it depends how quickly/easily you want to sell it. Option 2 will probably make it sell quicker privately but won't necessarily earn you any of that £1200 back, maybe a token amount.

Soldato
Probably don't bother then, private buyers won't pay extra for it and dealers/SOR certainly won't. If you can Service/MOT/Something just before it ends though that might be a nice note to include in the sale.

Soldato
Check the terms of the warranty, most that I have had refund you the balance when you sell the car, even if you pay yearly for the warranty. The only other calculation is how does it affect the value of the car if it can be transferred to the new owner.

Don
OP
Probably don't bother then, private buyers won't pay extra for it and dealers/SOR certainly won't. If you can Service/MOT/Something just before it ends though that might be a nice note to include in the sale.

Personally I wouldnt buy a £20k+ car privately without some sort of backup and I would think this would make it safer buy than getting one with a crap independent dealer warranty

Last edited:
Soldato
Personally I would buy a £20k+ car privately without some sort of backup and I would think this would make it safer buy than getting one with a crap independent dealer warranty

Yes absolutely, but the buyer can do that themselves with JLR. All I’m saying is you probably won’t see any of that money in the sale, maybe £100 or so.

Soldato
Is there a lesser warranty grade that covers the core components? That might be an alternative that won't sting so much but also provide some buyer reassurance that they won't be smacked with a £5k bill to replace the gearbox in 3 months time.

I'll be considering going for the 'named component' warranty on my Skoda for example, as it's only things like the engine, turbo, dsg that I'd be overly concerned about having to swallow the cost of repair for with no other options. Other stuff like heated seats or power mirrors etc. are different as the car is still usable in the meantime.

Don
OP
Yes absolutely, but the buyer can do that themselves with JLR. All I’m saying is you probably won’t see any of that money in the sale, maybe £100 or so.

They can't warranty it themselves with Jag unless they pay for an inspection and any work that finds

If I go option 3 I can cancel is buyer doesn't want it and prob be a max 100 out of pocket

Don
OP
Is there a lesser warranty grade that covers the core components? That might be an alternative that won't sting so much but also provide some buyer reassurance that they won't be smacked with a £5k bill to replace the gearbox in 3 months time.

I'll be considering going for the 'named component' warranty on my Skoda for example, as it's only things like the engine, turbo, dsg that I'd be overly concerned about having to swallow the cost of repair for with no other options. Other stuff like heated seats or power mirrors etc. are different as the car is still usable in the meantime.

There is the select warranty version buts it's a joke, 3k limit and still 80% of the price

Soldato
An extended warranty won't make the car more valuable, but for a given price, it would make it more attractive, so you'd probably sell it quicker. Having said that, you may have more power with negotiation in a private sale :)

Don
OP
An extended warranty won't make the car more valuable, but for a given price, it would make it more attractive, so you'd probably sell it quicker. Having said that, you may have more power with negotiation in a private sale :)

That's what I am thinking

Option 3 maybe best as buyer can take or leave it with them to pay balance, of course that can become part of negotiations

Back
Top Bottom