A Bridge too far? Scotland - Ireland Bridge proposals

Soldato
I am even less than a novice economist. But when I got past the initial shock and the repeatedly asking "why?", I am wondering if this as more to do with the value of the pound.

It's obvious that even in the best scenario of Brexit, Britain isn't going to be at full trading strength until we get this deals in the future going. So in the event of a dip in trade wouldn't this mean we have more money in circulation and thus the value of the pound would go down, as there is a lot of it?

To counter this value issue wouldn't the government need to offload money in to projects so reducing the circulation of the pound and increasing its value?

Soldato
Wouldn't a bridge between the Mull of Kintyre and Ballycastle be shorter and easier? You would need a couple of additional shorter bridges linking the various peninsulars but with that done it would be a pretty much direct drive/train trip from Glasgow. (And indeed Edenborough)

I guess the question really is who is this proposed bridge intending to serve?

Caporegime
Or in order to shore up the drop in GDP from Brexit the Govt basically "borrows" £200bn and dumps it into the economy under the guise of infrastructure spend.

Or "let';s get our mates rich and get as much money out of the country while it is still there before it all collapses".

Or a combination of all of them.

Don;t forget the majority of plum contacts on HS2 has gone to companies from Sweden, Austria and France and not British companies like some people would expect or think would happy in this post Brexit Euphoria

Caporegime
Wouldn't a bridge between the Mull of Kintyre and Ballycastle be shorter and easier? You would need a couple of additional shorter bridges linking the various peninsulars but with that done it would be a pretty much direct drive/train trip from Glasgow. (And indeed Edenborough)

Cleary it is designed for herding all the Scottish people when they vote for independence and shuffling them across in NI before cutting NI free and destroying the bridge.

Soldato
Apart from the Beaufort's Dyke issue, this is the main reason the bridge won't happen. The roads from Stranraer to Ayr, and east to Dumfries are nothing short of atrocious. They will have to be replaced or upgraded by a significant margin. The A77 from Stranraer to Portpatrick is a windy road barely worth the A designation. The bridge will be easy. Constructing the new roads in the face of SNP opposition (who have refused to do anything about the roads for the past ten years) are the real nightmare.

Ideal opportunity to put into action my previous prisoner forced labour plan.

Permabanned
Torr head is a beautiful spot and the last thing it needs is a bridge going to Scotland. It's enough we have a stretch of water to keep them skirt wearing reprobates away from us. Larne is the Bermuda triangle and Twilight Zone of Northern Ireland, so it would be a perfect place to stick a tunnel since it would be buried and everyone could ignore it, like they do Larne, except when they find themselves in it and then panic trying to leave the place.

Soldato

Is Edenborough in NI?

Transport links to the Mull of Kintyre of very, very poor. It's also nowhere near Glasgow by road. I think it's about three or four hours from Glasgow to the Mull of Kintyre.

Soldato
Is Edenborough in NI?

Transport links to the Mull of Kintyre of very, very poor. It's also nowhere near Glasgow by road. I think it's about three or four hours from Glasgow to the Mull of Kintyre.

Transport isn't so good where the current bridge is being proposed really.

New motorway/railways will need to be built as well wherever it is built

Soldato
Glasgow to mull of kintyre is just over 3 hours over a busy enough single carriageway as it is, the rest and be thankful road was closed for awhile due to a major landslide.

port Patrick is roughly 2 hours down mostly motorway and duel carriageway, while passing through east (i think) and south Ayrshire council controlled areas where the roads are actually pretty decent.

Permabanned
Torr head is a beautiful spot and the last thing it needs is a bridge going to Scotland. It's enough we have a stretch of water to keep them skirt wearing reprobates away from us. Larne is the Bermuda triangle and Twilight Zone of Northern Ireland, so it would be a perfect place to stick a tunnel since it would be buried and everyone could ignore it, like they do Larne, except when they find themselves in it and then panic trying to leave the place.

Well i agree with you crazyhorse :D

I know Torr to Magilligan well, All the places there would be ruined it is supposed to be rural seaside nothing there is really built up until you hit Larne. And Larne is where the ugly coastline starts all the way around until Newcastle and then there is nothing as there is the land border from Warrenpoint to the Foyle again. So really thats all the coastline we have from the Foyle at Magilligan to Torr.

Man of Honour
It will never go ahead and even if it did the Mull of Kintyre is the wrong place to put it as the roads are abysmal. New roads would never get the go ahead either. The enviromentalists and anti road campaigners are already kicking up a stink about the dualling of the A96 which still hasn't started despite being announced years ago.

Permabanned
It will never go ahead and even if it did the Mull of Kintyre is the wrong place to put it as the roads are abysmal. New roads would never get the go ahead either. The enviromentalists and anti road campaigners are already kicking up a stink about the dualling of the A96 which still hasn't started despite being announced years ago.

Flying is much worse than driving, If they want to curb it, Build green trains.

Associate

The problem would be that it may be the shorter bridge but it is also the longest way round to any place but the Scottish Highlands which I am sure are a fine place. The Bridge at Larne would be faster to get to Glasgow, Newcastle and all of England.

Back
Top Bottom