What did you do to your bike today?

Soldato
weld.jpg

Supervised my buddy patching his exhaust on his winter works bike when I say supervised in reality included drinking tea and taking some pics :D
We been riding together for over 35 years and do not own any other transport apart from bikes winters are starting to hurt a little but still all good ;)

Soldato
Guy at work's bike blew over today...

...into mine!

y4mzObxw74MUmsCMFCtIko3REqLojG_uy6Bj_Oh8qdK10UFfWObvTygw60ytTZHUofi47z1IfB8EFHct4ns_UrI9AoSGepWZBcBOfMidHMzTmg2M0U1x2_gwGlKuerNJArByXxtYl_4F7MJ5xLbBkJx3iTOueurr69ywjGXk24xfE4p7VR3afSA5W9iUa0VWIvTHbH4N6HdAbR4T39RC672kw

That's not quite how it's meant to be!

y4maFg8btyRLbDE18K-IlOWzJ9wzKlVDQ4BuyJ92w0rfdfAO1RQ1Nv8Qpmtjgm-E2Edktdz2SARA4HH3Ybl6k1mxtT-XEMM1m1gujU5LdQtzYfHf4VN9gBuPlMXO1pflgFfSVh9rGaIoaIU9acls6p-gQBh4Qf3UHqSZLhaZYPZfQQPWvJYxYwCS2ozaO43CLTcGjGW6msLpsfaZSK0V07gcw

Back into position, thankfully the awkward angle was down to a slip fit not being fully tight so it rotated down when his bike hit mine, making it seem really bad.

y4m8tLUeLuCybd6qDxTNbUjaxxxKxHCWgzzYHrVA_PmXVRQ5Fd5_riBv_eOJmU4APRgaPpsYsME8iWlFp0PAhpN3zrAcDk0VEUWHfCpE_UTAjaUEPRUPLc0KQIuHf64gcXYkstcbJ190JAJVNCK4xgN3ckuTsGjCcM8-RiHQDn0FrUot4GA17HqBLt1vesgQfMGEHCrEGdm9s02oFthcknzmw

y4mBUMSIMK9xVu__Assnn0TWxprI65uiaGP-OV-sexxuziW4Y8DZYKZ-6H-suw4WLDPRoSUWRQSEdBLM6_daPnoQ2YbKr_rTzJOQt6v8VCRbUp71hYaAmaThfS05CMfITN-FvGRZUz0asYgM_sYdiRcb6BueHYjQnLHAFWa5u8N9VpPVu8koPUXU2uGP-lVbCEDgIARbTTsnPkeXYscispqpg

Problem solved, for now. I've tightened the lower slip joint too so it should all be fine. The can is scuffed up and dented but I'm not too fussed really, it's easy enough to replace if I want and the inside is still straight so it's just the outer of the can that looks a bit worse for wear.

Sadly there is some damage on the front fairing too though.

y4m7BOqWb-GmKRqSVS6YpMeRKEtMsKWmJtmpr507JXMFVuMQGy1vNImjToqtewhD_XgV6ugnY9QMXKLRfrVJSqmwhq1SP97OBZDpjT8taRGF1Mbq0UuR2iOMOCMTOLcAJW7G4U9g4-M36pfwQmY8X5RaHhQH7rovYIsH7aG_Gx7xyZFlDrgnIf1_Yfm_eTvhbqZBdbu7ZXOB7p1Bs-5UWqhPw

I've not spoken to the guy who's bike went down yet, I spoke to reception and got the story off them and it seems his bike got pretty badly damaged, the screen and fairings all busted up. I'll have a chat with him tomorrow but whilst this does suck to have damage on my bike like this which is entirely out of my control, I can't really be mad at him for the wind throwing his bike about.

Soldato
Unlucky, seems to be happening loads with this weather, i'm glad i sold my bike today so i don't have to worry about it.

Now i'm obsessing over what bike to get next when the weather clears up!.

Soldato
Unlucky, seems to be happening loads with this weather, i'm glad i sold my bike today so i don't have to worry about it.
Yeah, it turns out that a total of something like 4 out of 20ish bikes got blown over by the wind in the work carpark yesterday.
Part of the building makes a bit of a wind tunnel so one of the bike parking areas is more at risk than the other with high winds from storms, it can be bad on normal days anyway.

I spoke to the guy about mine and he was really apologetic and is chasing the company to do something about the increased risk in bike damage due to the current building layout and maybe compensation for the damaged bikes.

"thank you for texting i couldnt find out whos bike it was and i am so sorry for the damage. Yea my fairing broke screen smashed indicators gone and tank dented."

Seems he took the brunt of the damage on his bike so I can't really complain at mine and have told him not to worry about it, these things happen. It's like £300 to put mine right/back to how it was which is mostly just the exhaust can cost anyway. I can live with it as it is, might see if I can pull the dent out which makes it just the hanger I need and a touch up pen for the scratches.

My manager's bike also got knocked down by the wind and it destroyed the side of his bike. It's a 20 year old Honda tourer thing and isn't worth a great deal...but decided to claim on insurance anyway so unfortunately he'll get very little back. I

really got quite lucky with mine, I just hope that no more bikes blow over in the carpark.

Caporegime
Nope, allocated car parking and free for all bike parking areas.

The most impressive thing for me was that the bike that hit mine got blown over onto its left side, against/off the stand!
Sure no one pushed it over for devilment? Had to be seriously strong wind to push a bike up and over against its sidestand

It was seriously windy though but does seem surprising to me

Soldato
Sure no one pushed it over for devilment? Had to be seriously strong wind to push a bike up and over against its sidestand

It was seriously windy though but does seem surprising to me
Possible, but they'd have to have pushed one over, left, come back, pushed another...etc. to take out four bikes in total over the course of the day. I've not checked or asked about CCTV in the carpark but believe there is some and I'm sure we'd have been informed if there was someone out there doing damage to bikes.

Soldato
Cleaned up all the chain guides, sprocket cover and bits of engine that were grubby as best I could. New front sprocket and chain on. Had ordered a new rear sprocket but they'd sent a 520 instead of 525, so that'll have to wait. Still waiting for my new exhaust system, which is why all the fairings are off.

ZUDCd8t.jpg

Tea Drinker
Don
My 1200 gs morphed into a 1250 gs

Ex bmw off road 1 yr old 5000 miles, only dropped one or two hundred times. 2 year manufacturer's warranty. Scruffy as anything but 2/3rds of the price of a perfect one.

W28pqSS.jpg

Soldato
Suppose its the nice thing about this, I won't mind throwing it around. I was out last month greenlaning on my 1200
It sounds strange but when I fall off my bike (off road) I quite like it as it means I don’t get so precious about it and enjoy it for what it is! You’d be surprised how capable the GS is, there’s probably not many lanes it can’t handle.

I’m off out on my ktm tomorrow in the lakes, hopefully the weather holds off!

Tea Drinker
Don
Picked it up today, cleaned, serviced, panniers added and destickered.

Front tyre was well square, first corner it nearly just fell over :p getting better the more its ridden. Have ordered a taller screen this one is far too short.

It's missing the little wind deflector LH side of the headlight and near your heel has been worn through to the metal sp that'll need paint.

Much more ooompf than the 1200 but mine was a 2005 so can't compare to the last ones.

ee10QHz.jpg

l0euF7H.jpg

Back
Top Bottom