Satisfactory Alpha release

Associate
Played this on a friends account and spent quite a bit on it, just going to wait for a sale again as missed the last one, ideally steam but not banking on it.

Soldato
This game is flippin brilliant. Haven't been addicted to a open space factory builder since Raumarik introduced me to Minecraft FTB years ago. Update 3 lands in January-Feb and will bring even more milestones to the game as well as optimisations for the Unreal 4 engine.

I've racked up some 25hrs and have a small base in the Grassy Plains powered by 6x Coal Generators and have just hit the Oil Production milestones via the space elevator. Went on a massive exploration trip last night (Blade runners are a lifesaver) and saw some incredible scenery/biomes. Didn't see much in the way of new pure nodes annoyingly.

Soldato
No, it’s nothing like Subnautica as that is a survival/horror game. Satisfactory is closer to Factorio and modded minecraft more than anything.

There is no hunger/thirst depletion here. There are monsters but they’re more of an annoyance then a challenge. Objective really is to build a massive GTFO Moi Land base/factory by obtaining resources and pretty much abusing the gorgeous alien planet until Greta Thumberg arrives to give a speech.

It is really addictive fun and there is shedloads of content on the experimental branch. The game nudges you to complete goals that unlock further technologies like going from coal to full on nucklear (wessels) power generation and production assembly machines etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you do like the sound of it though and want something to tide you over Factorio is the game this appears to be heavily inspired by and is essentially a 2d version with a lot more depth

Soldato
I like the look of that as well but how can it still be in early access after nearly 4 years?

It hasn't felt like it should be in EA for the majority of that - the developers seem like real perfectionists. They actually put up a blog every Friday outlining something they are working on and these have often been really interesting and show the level of commitment to detail - it's more than stable and fully featured enough to rival any "released" game and they have recently (finally) set a "1.0" release date of next September. There's also a huge modding scene which extends the base game massively (not that the base game isn't already pretty sizable)

If you have any doubts though - free demo that has enough content to give you a feel for how it all plays

Soldato
Update 3 is out and it's back to rebuilding base, or fixing old one, lots of changes added, for the better I think. How's everyone getting on with this?

Associate
Update 3 is out and it's back to rebuilding base, or fixing old one, lots of changes added, for the better I think. How's everyone getting on with this?
Anything need to be done to keep playing the current version? I want to start again with the new update but also haven't finished everything I wanted to in my current save.

Soldato
Anything need to be done to keep playing the current version? I want to start again with the new update but also haven't finished everything I wanted to in my current save.
I think your current save should still work in u3, but stuff will be broke and need fixing. You should have 2 weeks (maybe more) to keep playing update 2 on the normal game, u3 is on experimental, so finish your factory in 2 weeks would be my advice, and move to u3

Soldato
seems like such an odd choice if you like the look of the game and its soon not going to be exclusive.

Just a personal thing really, but for me anything that has been epic exclusive is basically dead to me, plenty of other things to buy/play.

Maybe it will show up on the game pass some day, then I can play it on that, but I don't really want to reward devs/publishers for going the epic exclusive route.

Associate
I think your current save should still work in u3, but stuff will be broke and need fixing. You should have 2 weeks (maybe more) to keep playing update 2 on the normal game, u3 is on experimental, so finish your factory in 2 weeks would be my advice, and move to u3
Excellent thanks!

2 weeks will be tight, I'll have to quit work and become a full time factory planner :D

Soldato
Just a personal thing really, but for me anything that has been epic exclusive is basically dead to me, plenty of other things to buy/play.

Maybe it will show up on the game pass some day, then I can play it on that, but I don't really want to reward devs/publishers for going the epic exclusive route.

Here, here... although if I do like the look of something I may consider picking it up once it hits "dirt cheap" prices, as by that point it's not really factoring into the stats that justify the exclusivity anymore. So maybe in a year or twos time pick it up for £3 or something (if it doesn't pop up in Humble Choice or whatever before that)

Man of Honour
Satisfactory was the 2nd game I bought on Epic (Borderlands 3 was the first), got to say that both have proved to be great games and I've got hundreds of hours out of both of them, though to be fair I always liked Factorio so Satisfactory was a no brainer really, hope they add some more aggressive threats to the game, to just add a dimension.

Back
Top Bottom