Scythe Ninja 5 fan direction question

Associate
Hi, I have the NZXT H500 case with two intake fans in the front and one intake fan in the back and the top. Should I use push pull or push push with the CPU fans? I'm currently using push push so I'm wondering if push pull could help the temps.

Soldato
Case back fan should be exhaust to pull the air 2x front fans are pushing into case out. Same applies to top fan, but if the intake fans cannot move a little more air into case then top and back exhaust are pulling out dust will be sucked in any other holes / cracks in case. Probably better to only use 1 exhaust fan in rear. I've found removing PCIe slot covers improves vent area around GPU and improves front to back airflow lowering the air temp into GPU and CPU resulting in lower temps, especially when gaming. Best case airflow is in front and out back. The less airflow direction change the better it works. Below link is to basic guild to case airflow:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

It wouldn't make sense to have 2x fans both trying to push air into cooler from boht sides because there would be no place for air to go except out the sides. Best is push on front and pull on back. ;)

Associate
OP
Case back fan should be exhaust to pull the air 2x front fans are pushing into case out. Same applies to top fan, but if the intake fans cannot move a little more air into case then top and back exhaust are pulling out dust will be sucked in any other holes / cracks in case. Probably better to only use 1 exhaust fan in rear. I've found removing PCIe slot covers improves vent area around GPU and improves front to back airflow lowering the air temp into GPU and CPU resulting in lower temps, especially when gaming. Best case airflow is in front and out back. The less airflow direction change the better it works. Below link is to basic guild to case airflow:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

It wouldn't make sense to have 2x fans both trying to push air into cooler from boht sides because there would be no place for air to go except out the sides. Best is push on front and pull on back. ;)
I'm a retard, sorry, I have exhaust in the back and the top but for some reason wrote intake.

Soldato
We all mix things up one in awhile.

I would unplug top and back exhaust fans and see what happens. If front intakes are doing their job you won't notice much if any difference in temps with no exhaust fans, but will likely have a quieter system .. at same noise level probably slightly lower temps.

Associate
OP
We all mix things up one in awhile.

I would unplug top and back exhaust fans and see what happens. If front intakes are doing their job you won't notice much if any difference in temps with no exhaust fans, but will likely have a quieter system .. at same noise level probably slightly lower temps.
The exhaust fans are all Noctuas so there isn't a noise problem. I just wanted to know what should be the direction of the CPU fans. Right now one of them seems to be fighting with one of the intake fans.

Soldato
The exhaust fans are all Noctuas so there isn't a noise problem. I just wanted to know what should be the direction of the CPU fans. Right now one of them seems to be fighting with one of the intake fans.
Both cooler fan should be moving air toward back of case. Intake side of fan has not motor mount braces, exhaust side does. ;)

Soldato
Should work. Although I would unplug top exhaust fan and remove all PCIe back slot covers to increase rear vent area around GPU so air flowing back from front intake fans has more vent area to leave case. This helps keep the GPU's heated exhaust moving back rather than up where it mixes with cool intake air going to CPU cooler.

Associate
OP
Should work. Although I would unplug top exhaust fan and remove all PCIe back slot covers to increase rear vent area around GPU so air flowing back from front intake fans has more vent area to leave case. This helps keep the GPU's heated exhaust moving back rather than up where it mixes with cool intake air going to CPU cooler.
What about making the top exhaust fan intake instead of removing it? Stupid or worth trying?

Soldato
What about making the top exhaust fan intake instead of removing it? Stupid or worth trying?
Would cause problems. We want a smooth airflow front front of case past & into GPU and into CPU, then on back and out of case The smoother this air flows the less turbulence there is the less heated air coming off of GPU and between back of CPU cooler and back case venting the less chance of heated cooler/GPU exhaust mixing and warming the air they are using. This is because every degree warmer the air is translates into same degree hotter CPU / GPU will run. Maybe thinking of airflow as pond of water and a case as a van with windows all open and propellers in some causing water to move into van. If the windscreen opening (vent) has propellers pushing water in it will flow through and out the back window openings. As water flows in it displaces water is already there and that water has to move out at same speed water is flowing in .. for water to enter water must leav .. equal and opposite amount in as out etc. Now if we add a propeller in a side window the water it tries to flow into van will be trying to move the water we already have flowing in from front of van to back of van and out and it will be disrupted the smooth flow of water through the van we have created. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Would case problems. We want a smooth airflow front front of case past & into GPU and into CPU, then on back and out of case The smoother this air flows the less turbulence there is the less heated air coming off of GPU and between back of CPU cooler and back case venting the less chance of heated cooler/GPU exhaust mixing and warming the air they are using. This is because every degree warmer the air is translates into same degree hotter CPU / GPU will run. Maybe thinking of airflow as pond of water and a case as a van with windows all open and propellers in some causing water to move into van. If the windscreen opening (vent) has propellers pushing water in it will flow through and out the back window openings. As water flows in it displaces water is already there and that water has to move out at same speed water is flowing in .. for water to enter water must leav .. equal and opposite amount in as out etc. Now if we add a propeller in a side window the water it tries to flow into van will be trying to move the water we already have flowing in from front of van to back of van and out and it will be disrupted the smooth flow of water through the van we have created. Hope that makes sense.
Yeah, understood and thanks. However, about the PCie back slot covers, will removing them not cause more dust buildup in the case?

Associate

This. If front fans not keeping up to the task, some inexpensive Arctic static pressure should help.

Soldato
Yeah, understood and thanks. However, about the PCie back slot covers, will removing them not cause more dust buildup in the case?
PCIe slots open will not let dust into case as long as front intakes speed up with GPU fans. Only way dust could be drawn in is by GPU fan nearest back of case, so as long as front intakes are pushing enough air in then the GPU fans will not draw any in the back.
Keep in mind this works best with no exhaust fans trying to pull air out. With only intakes the GPU fans shouldn't be able to pull any air in. Easy way to check is with incense sticks. Might need to light up 2 or 3 to get enough smoke to see smoke move into or away from case.

Associate
OP
This. If front fans not keeping up to the task, some inexpensive Arctic static pressure should help.
The ones in the front are Noctua NF-S12A and the ones in the back and top Noctua NF A12x15 (I will probably replace them with S12A because these are louder at 55-60% than the S12A at 80%).

Soldato
Sounds like a FUBAR airflow setup to me. All you need are 2x good front intakes with openings not covered by fan mounting panel blocked so air they push into case can't leak back in front, 1x good fan on Ninga 5 and remove PCIe slot covers. Set case fans to cycle with cooler fans so case fans are always flowing a little more air into and through case than coolers are using. End result is a cool quiet system.

Associate
OP
Sounds like a FUBAR airflow setup to me. All you need are 2x good front intakes with openings not covered by fan mounting panel blocked so air they push into case can't leak back in front, 1x good fan on Ninga 5 and remove PCIe slot covers. Set case fans to cycle with cooler fans so case fans are always flowing a little more air into and through case than coolers are using. End result is a cool quiet system.
What about the NF A12x25 PWM for front intake? Instead of the S12A.

Soldato
What about the NF A12x25 PWM for front intake? Instead of the S12A.
NF-A12x25 PWM are some of the very best 120mm fans out there right now. They have twice the pressure rating of S12A which means they have twice the ablity to pull air meaning it can pull more air through the extremely limited front venting on your H600 Problem is front venting is extremely limited, so even with the best fans I'm afraid you might have cooling issues because front venting can't flow enough air. Make sure you block any openings in front fan mounting panel that are not blocked by fan so the air they are pushing into case doesnt' leak back in front and go in a circle instead of them pulling more fresh air into case. Like I've said, also remove all PCIe back slot covers and anything else you can because it will let the air coming into case flow through and out easier, and this means intake fans can put all their effort into pulling air into case.

Below I've again posted link to basic guild about setting up good case airflow:

Please let us know how it all works out.

Associate
OP
NF-A12x25 PWM are some of the very best 120mm fans out there right now. They have twice the pressure rating of S12A which means they have twice the ablity to pull air meaning it can pull more air through the extremely limited front venting on your H600 Problem is front venting is extremely limited, so even with the best fans I'm afraid you might have cooling issues because front venting can't flow enough air. Make sure you block any openings in front fan mounting panel that are not blocked by fan so the air they are pushing into case doesnt' leak back in front and go in a circle instead of them pulling more fresh air into case. Like I've said, also remove all PCIe back slot covers and anything else you can because it will let the air coming into case flow through and out easier, and this means intake fans can put all their effort into pulling air into case.

Below I've again posted link to basic guild about setting up good case airflow:

Please let us know how it all works out.
Thanks, thing is I really want to wait for the 140mm version of the NF-A12x25, meanwhile I could put the 120mm version at least in the back because that's the only slot that only supports 120mm and not 140mm case fans. Or should I just say **** it and buy 4 NF-A12x25s now?

Soldato
Thanks, thing is I really want to wait for the 140mm version of the NF-A12x25, meanwhile I could put the 120mm version at least in the back because that's the only slot that only supports 120mm and not 140mm case fans. Or should I just say **** it and buy 4 NF-A12x25s now?
You only need intake fans. Exhaust fans are a waste of money. Using both is like push/pull on cooler or radiators. even on twin tower coolers like NH-D15 and NH-D15S single fan vs 2 fans is only 1-2c themp difference, and at same noise level the same temps. Only time is makes a difference is at full speed, and if you are like most of us our fans never run full speed.

I don't know if you can fit 3x fans in front. Specs say 2x 120mm or 140mm. If 3 will fit, great, but if not use 2 NF-A12x25 mounted on motherboard side of fan panel and make sure you block all opening in that panels so air fans pull into compartment in front from side and goes into motherboard compartment cannot leak back in front of fans and just circle back through fans, back in front, through fans, back in front, etc. We want all the air fans suck into case to be moving from fan over motherboard to back of case and out. We do not want any of the air going into motherboard compartment leaking back to intake side of fans. Hope that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom