What fad from your childhood/teenage years used to be "in" but now has vanished?

Don
metal-jacks-game-sets-8-jacks-balls-1.5cm-66713-p.jpg

I used to have a small scar on my foot from one of those little *******.

Soldato
Garbage pail kids stickers, god I'm old :), I had hundreds until someone stole them from my desk...........at primary school fgs!

XLBu0sa.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
you used to be able to buy guns that shot plastic balls but they were a totally different thing to what we now know as BB guns.

To be fair I'm talking about 25 years ago, rather than the modern definition of a BB gun which I'm not really familiar with.

A quick Google suggests that nowadays BB guns fire metal pellets - the type that I used to have looks like it might be more similar to an airsoft gun. You could get hit by one and at most it would sting and go red, although getting hit at close range in the eye would be a bad idea.

Associate
Nope, cap guns just made a bang but didn't fire anything. Are you referring to BB guns? I got into those for a short while, but had to go to a model / hobby shop - I don't remember any markets selling them!

Yep that's it BB guns haha! I'm surprised I never lost an eye with those things!

Soldato
Had a few bb guns when I was kid, all handguns that my dad got me from a gun shop, my favourite was a big gas powered desert eagle but despite me always being good with them and not doing anything stupid my mum through a wobble suddenly and binned them all.

It's crazy what I was allowed as a kid, my dad knew I could be trusted with stuff. I would never in a million years allow my kids to have a fraction of the stuff I had, my lad is banned from nerf guns ffs

Caporegime
I was watching Bullseye the other night and saw something else that took me back, bikes with discs on the wheels.

As said cap guns just made a loud bang, didn't fire anything. You had to keep buying cap though they were a plastic ring that you loaded into the chamber.

Permabanned
You got these free in packs of cereal boxes of frosties. They where the reflectors for bike wheels.

I remember those reflectors. I had the Tony the tiger ones with my spokey dokeys. What I think he's talking about though are full wheel disc covers. Like the aerojacket stuff you see on race bikes. Only I remember they came in all kinds of colours and had designs and stuff on them. They were aesthetic only, served no aero purposes.

Soldato
Finger banging. As in, when you'd use your hand as a gun and wave it around pretending to be a cowboy. Also, pogs.

Finger banging was a totally different thing at my school. It was a 'game' usually played in the darkened recesses of school discos or, as I can attest to, on the school minibus during a trip to the Imperial War museum.

Soldato
Spokey-dokies for bike wheels, toys inside cereal boxes, sweets inside the Easter Egg instead of just being in the same box, spliffy jeans, ellese hoodies oh and Trolls.

Back
Top Bottom