BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
I've got a huge problem when gaming which I can't seem to get to the bottom of.....It's as though I have some kind of Geo-location issue on my connection, as the problem is present on both the Xbox and PS.

90%+ of my matchmaking in games, whether it be COD, FIFA, PES etc, are against players from Spain. If it isn't Spain, then it's usually Italy, followed closely by Portugal. I'd say <5% of my opponents online are from the UK/France/Holland/Germany combined. I probably even play more people from Russia than the UK.

Anyone get any idea what the issue could be?
The problem never seems to disappear, no matter what dynamic IP I am given by BT.
I get Open Nat in all games with all ports correctly forwarded, Ethernet connection etc.
.....It just makes no sense that literally every single game I play of Fifa, for example, is against an opponent from Spain.

Never had this issue years ago when just on ADSL, seems to have occurred since switching to FTTC.

Have you tried on PC for this issue?

Soldato
I've got a huge problem when gaming which I can't seem to get to the bottom of.....It's as though I have some kind of Geo-location issue on my connection, as the problem is present on both the Xbox and PS.

90%+ of my matchmaking in games, whether it be COD, FIFA, PES etc, are against players from Spain. If it isn't Spain, then it's usually Italy, followed closely by Portugal. I'd say <5% of my opponents online are from the UK/France/Holland/Germany combined. I probably even play more people from Russia than the UK.

The problem never seems to disappear, no matter what dynamic IP I am given by BT.
I get Open Nat in all games with all ports correctly forwarded, Ethernet connection etc.
.....It just makes no sense that literally every single game I play of Fifa, for example, is against an opponent from Spain.

Never had this issue years ago when just on ADSL, seems to have occurred since switching to FTTC.

turn your darn vpn off :p

Soldato
Well just recontracted and I think I got a good deal, £31 per month for my 65mb broadband, phone line and 500anytime minutes and BT sport HD on sky
Ongoing charges
500 Minutes Calling Plan
500 minutes of calls to any UK landline number or UK mobile, anytime.
£5.00
Broadband and Landline
Yet to discover BT TV? See bt.com/bttv for a great TV service
£27.99
Special offer discount
Your special offer discount lasts for 24 months
-£8.00
BT Sport Pack £16.00
BT Sport Pack Special Offer
You get your BT Sport at a special rate for 24 months
-£10.00
BT Sport HD Pack £6.50
BT Sport HD Pack - Free for 24 months
24 months free BT Sport HD
-£6.50
Total ongoing charges £30.99

Last edited:
Soldato
That’s quite a good deal.

my contract is up in 15 days and thus far haven’t had much luck.

on a legacy fibre package (up to 80mbps) which I get about 55.

paying £47 - no mobile or bt sport - best they offered so far is £42.

Soldato

https://whatismyipaddress.com/

Where does the map place you?

Soldato
My contract has expired but I can't get a good deal. I think they must know that I don't really have any viable alternatives for FTTP in my area so they know they can basically charge me whatever. The offer they made was the same price for the same speed. New customers get the top package for £10 per month cheaper. Roll on more providers coming on board for FTTP to increase competition.

Soldato
My contract has expired but I can't get a good deal. I think they must know that I don't really have any viable alternatives for FTTP in my area so they know they can basically charge me whatever. The offer they made was the same price for the same speed. New customers get the top package for £10 per month cheaper. Roll on more providers coming on board for FTTP to increase competition.

Then look at other resellers, the days of BT being the only people to offer FTTP are gone, Sky, TalkTalk, Zen and a few others all do the same now, combine with Quidco/TCB and get a decent deal if your provider won't be competitive.

Soldato
Then look at other resellers, the days of BT being the only people to offer FTTP are gone, Sky, TalkTalk, Zen and a few others all do the same now, combine with Quidco/TCB and get a decent deal if your provider won't be competitive.
Sky and Talk Talk don’t offer FTTP, not in my postcode anyway. Zen do but they’re the same price if not more expensive.

Associate
I cannot wait to get shot of BT. Cityfibre FTTH is around the corner literally.. they are digging just up the road.

I fought with BT for months to fix our fttc connection. After many engineer visits via (eventually) a case managed complaint they fixed it. Unsurprisingly it didn't last but I simply cannot be bothered any more. As soon as we possibly can I'll be ditching them. Can't come soon enough:/

Soldato
Sky and Talk Talk don’t offer FTTP, not in my postcode anyway. Zen do but they’re the same price if not more expensive.

Well both Sky and TT have recently launched the service, so it seems strange (as it’s the same openreach product) that two say you can have it and two don’t, when did you check?

Caporegime
I can put in addresses served by Openreach FTTP and both TalkTalk and Sky will only quote FTTC services. I can put in an address with Gfast available and Sky still won't offer that despite it being listed on their website as a product.

Caporegime
I can put in addresses served by Openreach FTTP and both TalkTalk and Sky will only quote FTTC services. I can put in an address with Gfast available and Sky still won't offer that despite it being listed on their website as a product.
Try calling them and see what their sales checker says?

RSR

RSR

Soldato
My desktop survey came in around £12k, I paid for the full survey and I think the final price was £7k plus VAT. There’s the small business grant to consider if you’re a ltd company. I was annoyed as the engineer who did the desktop survey said it should be an easy job as there’s clear ducting all the way from the aggregation node to the front of my house so he seemed fairly confident there would be no civil works involved. I decided it was too much so I didn’t progress. I’ve since gone permanent and I’m closing the business down so perhaps I should have took it on the chin as I still haven’t moved house!

I am quiet happy to go with the install costs (As long as they are not something silly), as its ether this or a leased line for me as my FTTC connection is just poor now.

So my lastest update is from Cerberus is:

Current Status: Currently awaiting Mobile Planner to be assigned to survey. Next Steps: We will monitor and update progress.Next review: 19/02/20

Soldato
I cannot wait to get shot of BT. Cityfibre FTTH is around the corner literally.. they are digging just up the road.

I fought with BT for months to fix our fttc connection. After many engineer visits via (eventually) a case managed complaint they fixed it. Unsurprisingly it didn't last but I simply cannot be bothered any more. As soon as we possibly can I'll be ditching them. Can't come soon enough:/

where are you based? Edinburgh?

Soldato
I guess the work that Openreach did in my street before Christmas was duct clearing and maintenance because they're back today pulling the fibre in. I had a clear view of the CBT that's in the manhole right by my driveway.

Back
Top Bottom