• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
And still AMD fanboys will deny everything... Lol.

Let's be real here, some users are having more issues than others. Not saying it's perfect drivers but to think that now everyone is having issues is wrong.

Some configuration are having issues seems mostly with navi.
My Vega 64 is performing fine not having any issues.

The most important thing here to take away is least now amd have came out and acknowledged they have issues and are working fast to fix it.
January alone had like 4 drivers

This isn't like amd of the old that completely ignored they had issues and I feel they got off lighter back then, than they are now.

When you pushing for big driver changes, sure you going to run into bugs it's how fast they fix them that matters.

Soldato
The only issue i have is the control panel does not load and fan profiles don't always load, games work fine and the bug in RDR2 has been fixed now also. They just need to fix the control panel.
The only game that has problems is Ghost Recon Breakpoint but that game is a mess, thought it was RAM OC issue as the game gets it to 50C which is 15C > any other game/software but even running @ 2133 does not help.

Last edited:
Soldato
I get similar when playing MC and having video - like YT or Twitch on the second screen - seems to come and go with different 20.x.x drivers on Vega64, using Firefox.

Disabling h/w acceleration in the browser 'seems' to fix it.

You don't even need to disable hardware acceleration, although that is a solution, it just crippled rendering performance on some sites for me. I resolved it by going to chrome://flags and changing the ANGLE graphics backend to D3D9. The issue lies with NV12 dynamic textures apparently.

According to the Chromium devs

The issue we encountered here is a driver bug between AMD and (Microsoft) D3D. We knew this bug happened to a list of GPUs that we enable hardware overlays in M80, so we applied a driver bug workaround to these GPUs. However, the RX 5500/5700 also reports hardware overlays capability with latest driver. That's a surprise and the driver bug workaround does not apply to them.

So the fix here is to apply the driver bug workaround more widely.

Timing wise, we enabled hardware overlays in November 2019, and at the time worked with AMD to test it. Unfortunately we don't test it in house because we have limited GPU variety, and also unfortunately the driver/GPU didn't reach any Beta users in time, so we fail to capture it before reaching stable.

Soldato
They're not fixing them that fast, as they've been broken since release, 7 months ago.

Says a guy that doesn't even own a amd GPU anymore?

Edit
What has been broken that long ago? From what I understand the issue came with 2020 drivers

Amd until this big release has been getting good praise for the driver stability

Not long ago they was voted best driver for stability.

Again when you pushing changes bugs will happen, remain in 2003 and you have less worries simple as that.

Think about it
Everything we do these days from software to games all have issues that need patching up it's just how it works.

Amd will never be perfect

Soldato
Yer right, i don't :D

I edited my post

Butt
You gojng to come in here and tell us all how broken they are when you don't even use them LoadsaMoney

Come On man jumping on the high horse here, they not as broken people making out

Yes they is issues but it's related to certain configurations
Some have little issues like software bugs other getting black screens randomly.

What matters is updates are coming quite fast to get this sorted

Least it's not like 290 days when we all waited think it was 4 months for an update lol

Soldato

im a bit of a fanboy (Haven't had a Nvidia card since my 8800GTX's) but AMD's drivers are... well if i said how i really felt id get banned from the forum pretty fast. Each release seems to break something else, then for 2020 they change the GUI of the driver, introduce loads more bugs and STILL haven't fixed loads of issues. Its PATHETIC. Id rather they fixed the drivers than make some rubbish GUI "improvements".

Caporegime
They were fine before the 2020 drivers, but as they said themselves, those drivers were not about bug fixes, they were for the new interface, which was a bad call imo, as the bugs should have been the priority, not the new interface, which they are now finding out, as they're getting RMA'd left right and centre, for Nvidia cards.

The cards have never worked since they were released 7 months ago, that is just unacceptable, anyone can see just how wrong that is.

It would be the same if it was Nvidia too.

Soldato
They were fine before the 2020 drivers, but as they said themselves, those drivers were not about bug fixes, they were for the new interface, which was a bad call imo, as the bugs should have been the priority, not the new interface, which they are now finding out, as they're getting RMA'd left right and centre, for Nvidia cards.

The cards have never worked since they were released 7 months ago, that is just unacceptable, anyone can see just how wrong that is.

It would be the same if it was Nvidia too.

No the 2020 drivers came with fixes its just that the redsign driver introduced new issues
Again these things happen.

The issue with this post is how you wording it you basically saying all navi GPUs don't work that is wrong.

Sure if I had issues having just bought a new GPU I would be peed off too and want a fix

Guess what them people are vocal

Soldato
I find the drivers to be more stable when you're not undervolting. You can undervolt, have the card stable in benchmarks and tests, and it will still fail in actual games. As soon as I put my V56 back to normal volts, all those problems went away.

Caporegime
No the 2020 drivers came with fixes its just that the redsign driver introduced new issues
Again these things happen.

The issue with this post is how you wording it you basically saying all navi GPUs don't work that is wrong.

Sure if I had issues having just bought a new GPU I would be peed off too and want a fix

Guess what them people are vocal

Im not saying they all don't work, as there is some, who aren't having any issues.

Soldato

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...mes-stuttering-with-fps-drops-since-windows-/
That is a really flawed post. As of today there is 6061 Replies and well over the views above. However, they changed the format of the forum so it no longer provide the number of views in a thread, sneaky.
And I gave up trying to get to the most recent posts. You have to keep swiping down as if you are on a phone LOL.

How soon we forget. This issue on nvidia side was never resolved and is ongoing for the last 3 years.
You are basing your silly statement on a recent AMD driver issue vs a 3 year Nv issue :rolleyes:.

So is the grass green, sure. You would expect to see green grass. However, it doesn't mean it's better ;).

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
They're not fixing them that fast, as they've been broken since release, 7 months ago.

What made me smile was if you actually listen to the hardware unboxed video, Steve says multiple times that he has tested over 6 cards and personally uses one in his rig, and in his daughters rigs. This (including his co-host) demonstrates that most users seem to be able to use them with no issues. Yes there are problems with some folks, which AMD should be dealing with that. He also mentioned he was also surprised that there were over 20% of nvidia users affected from that side of the fence..

How soon we forget. This issue on nvidia side was never resolved and is ongoing for the last 3 years.
You are basing your silly statement on a recent AMD driver issue vs a 3 year Nv issue :rolleyes:.

So is the grass green, sure. You would expect to see green grass. However, it doesn't mean it's better ;).

Well done that man. Doesn't matter, some folk will not read it as it upsets them, may aswell continue hating on something else.

Back
Top Bottom