Snow Sports Thread 2019-20

Soldato
Tignes is an awesome resort, been 4 times. Picture gear is generally quite expensive and doesn't see huge discounts like some of the other gear. That being said I really like their stuff and have two jackets which I cannot fault and still look like new after a few years of use.
Thanks. Looking forward to Tignes. We're in a chalet about 10mins walk from the main hub of Val Claret so hopefully good for lifts in the morning and bars in the evening. If you have any pointers for getting up and out on the lifts please do share. It's been 7 years since I've been skiing so the logistics of where we ski, how to get around etc. might prove difficult. I have a terrible sense of direction :p Also, I learnt to ski in the US so I've encountered about two button/t-bar lifts in my life and would like to avoid them at all costs!

I bought this years Picture Object jacket in yellow for £171+del from Ekosport. It's sitting on my desk not unwrapped yet but I thought that was a good deal.

Next questions... goggles? What to go for at around the £150 mark? Preferably less. Are Sungod any good or just a fashion brand? I ski with a small bag (w/ Camelbak) so happy to carry around spare lenses if that's still a thing :confused:

EDIT: Well I'm a bit paranoid now. My Picture Object jacket arrived which I believe has 60g insulation. I got it out in the office (phwoar) and literally everyone said "that's not thick enough for a ski jacket". Admittedly it feels a lot lighter than it did in the shop but now I'm worried. I've always been hot skiing.. I usually wear a long sleeve thermal top + tshirt + fleece underneath :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
Layers are much better than having one big thick layer, much more versatile. Decent merino base layer, mid layer and your jacket should be more than enough for march temperatures. If you're worried just pack an extra layer or two in a backpack.

Good pair of transition lenses or quick change magnetic lenses would be a good investment. Got a pair of Anon M2s on sale last year for under £100 with two lenses for low light and sunny conditions. Highly recommended.

Tignes is so well connected you'll not have any issues getting anywhere, plenty of good runs all over the place. I'd definitely spend a day making your way over to Val d’Isère for a wee change as well.

Soldato
So I went to the Sevenoaks Ski Shop/Captain's Cabin a few miles down the road from me and got my ski boots. Cannot recommend Pasq enough (he's good friends with the CM guy at Solutions4Feet and geeks out about ski stuff with him), we did the foot analysis and as is always the case with me, I'm difficult and we only had 2 different boots he was confident would be a great fit, although no heating/remoulding was required. Least that avoided any decision fatigue and it didn't take long to go with what he thought were the no1 pick... had appropriate inner soles cut/inserted and after about 2 hours I took home a pair of cast-like Atomic Ultra Hawx 110 S's to play with:

Forgot my goggles though so got to go back with them to try some helmets out...

Soldato
Does anyone have / use any kind of shoulder bracing or support when snowboarding?

Asking for the Mrs, she's finding she's getting a lot of strain around there when boarding, think she's thinking along the lines of something preventative, before she does hurt herself.

Associate
Does anyone have / use any kind of shoulder bracing or support when snowboarding?

Asking for the Mrs, she's finding she's getting a lot of strain around there when boarding, think she's thinking along the lines of something preventative, before she does hurt herself.
what's she doing to cause the shoulder pain?
1) is she flailing her arms a lot when boarding - almost using them to help her turn? if so, then lessons might be worth a shout.
2) or impacting it, from falling over - lessons again
3) or pushing herself up a lot, getting up (pressumably after a fall) - lessons again
4) or leanding forwards and using her arms to balance herself - erm, guess what, lessons...
5) or is she wearing a backpack - remove it

The only thing I can really think of that could cause pain, which might not be solved with lessons, is something silly like a drag lift, and she's trying to hold her wait through her arms, instead of letting the t-bar/Poma hook behind her leg.

Soldato
Layers are much better than having one big thick layer, much more versatile. Decent merino base layer, mid layer and your jacket should be more than enough for march temperatures. If you're worried just pack an extra layer or two in a backpack.

Good pair of transition lenses or quick change magnetic lenses would be a good investment. Got a pair of Anon M2s on sale last year for under £100 with two lenses for low light and sunny conditions. Highly recommended.

Tignes is so well connected you'll not have any issues getting anywhere, plenty of good runs all over the place. I'd definitely spend a day making your way over to Val d’Isère for a wee change as well.
Thanks. I've spoken to a few more skiers and everyone said the same. Silly non-winter sportspeople in my office that assume snow= thickest jacket known to man :p

Those goggles were recommended by the chap in Snow and Rock actually. How big do they come up? There's sales on now, I wonder if I can find them.

Soldato
Random question - do you guys decorate your helmets in any way as far as stickers/decals/airbrushing/silly animal covers go? Got myself a Giro helmet and matte black is just a bit zzz.

Man of Honour
Random question - do you guys decorate your helmets in any way as far as stickers/decals/airbrushing/silly animal covers go? Got myself a Giro helmet and matte black is just a bit zzz.

No but my helmet is pretty tasty wtihout the need:

c3a2e554f4e643badcb8057e749ca4b5--helmets-online-flakes.jpg

url

Caporegime
^^^ glad it had a happy end ending but very dangerous skiing in a terrain trap like that. You really have to avoid those gullies, This didn;t look like an avalanche but what the french call a "coulee" , like a mini-avalanche which are mostly harmless but if you ski in a terrain trap then consequences can be fatal.

Don
I would imagine there would have been a stream underneath there so a high risk of punching through if you're not careful, though looks like it was already a hole in the snow he's ended up falling in head first down.

Good on the dad having the right gear though, not many people would when skiing in resort, even when off piste in Europe.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
God that's terrifying to think of as dad of an 11 year old. Thank god the kid was wearing a trasceiver. I think those gulleys are grand montets just down from tabe from the dad's footage.

Edit: just spoke to a mate and this was le tour apparently.

Last edited:
Soldato
Only a week and a bit before I go. I'll be skiing with my camelbak in a nice slim North Face rucksack (can't remember what it's called).

I have this list;

Lift pass
Hat
Sunglasses
Spare goggle lens
Wallet
Phone
Water
Paracetamol
Sunscreen
Lip balm
Snickers bar
Tissues
Phone battery

I don't actually have a case for my spare lens I just realised. Any recommendations for a spare Anon M2 lens?

Man of Honour
I always have a layer in my pack to add if I need and neck warmer thing. Bottle of genepie if resort riding, transciever batteries, shovel, probe if not.

Soldato
Ski lock can be a good shout even if you have above-basic rental gear: never underestimate the ability of a member of the public, half-cut or otherwise, to take your skis by accident when they're all piled up by the bars etc and if you have nice equipment it works as a deterrent as their are occasionally unscrupulous people loitering about.

Back
Top Bottom