***The 2020 Gym Rats Thread*** ᕦ( ͠°◞ °)ᕥ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Any suggestions for 2x20kg plates to add to my work gym.

Our provided 'metal' plates only go up to 145kg total which I'm now past for madcow for deadlifts and will soon be for squats.

Was looking at one set of bumpers or Olympic size ones to bring the bar up to uniform height for deadlift, as the ones we have are old and small in height, if that even makes sense...

Soldato
I'm going to shift to Madcow on Monday because I'm struggling to add anymore weight to stronglifts (although I am really happy with how much I have managed to add)!

I've downloaded an app called "5x5 log" by Vandersoft. Is this a good app to use or is there another recommended one?

I've also seen people say to underestimate your 5rm because the weight will build too early which means an early plateu. How much should I drop it by?

Soldato
I'm going to shift to Madcow on Monday because I'm struggling to add anymore weight to stronglifts (although I am really happy with how much I have managed to add)!

I've downloaded an app called "5x5 log" by Vandersoft. Is this a good app to use or is there another recommended one?

I've also seen people say to underestimate your 5rm because the weight will build too early which means an early plateu. How much should I drop it by?

If you use the spreadsheet it works it all out for you!

The suggestions is to only start "madcow" when you get to intermediate levels, based on your age etc its hard to say whats intermediate as a comparison to you?

i started madcow 4 weeks ago so would be nice to see someone do the same to push each other on!

Soldato
If you use the spreadsheet it works it all out for you!

The suggestions is to only start "madcow" when you get to intermediate levels, based on your age etc its hard to say whats intermediate as a comparison to you?

i started madcow 4 weeks ago so would be nice to see someone do the same to push each other on!

I've tried to find the spreadsheet but I swear every link to it on the internet is dead!

According to stronglifts intermediate is when you're no longer able to make progress workout to workout. I've failed everything/dropped by 10% and back up multiple times now. I've been on stronglifts for 4 months. I'm also struggling with squatting the heaviest I possibly can 3x a week. Madcow seems a little more forgiving.

Soldato
Its more forgiving to a point, but its still a challenge.

It might be worth looking at other factors first as to why you are at a sticking point.

Are you consistently lifting 3 times a week? For me i always ensure i go Monday Wed Fri for Madcow. Consistency is key.

What is your age? (if you care to share?)
Are you getting rest days in?
What weights are your compound lifts at? (feel free to share - no judgement here, everyone is very nice. My lifts are still considered very light in comparison to some)
Whats your nutrition like?
Whats your quality of sleep like?
Do you work on any mobility or stretches?

Let me know if you cant find the sheet, or drop me a mail in trust and Ill send a copy over.

Soldato
Its more forgiving to a point, but its still a challenge.

It might be worth looking at other factors first as to why you are at a sticking point.

Are you consistently lifting 3 times a week? For me i always ensure i go Monday Wed Fri for Madcow. Consistency is key.

What is your age? (if you care to share?)
Are you getting rest days in?
What weights are your compound lifts at? (feel free to share - no judgement here, everyone is very nice. My lifts are still considered very light in comparison to some)
Whats your nutrition like?
Whats your quality of sleep like?
Do you work on any mobility or stretches?

Let me know if you cant find the sheet, or drop me a mail in trust and Ill send a copy over.

3x a week every week. Mon/Tue/Thurs (I understand a rest day in between days 1 and 2 is optimal but it's not possible at the moment). I also train BJJ after Tuesday and Thursday's gym sessions. I've had less than a week off in the 4 months I've been doing stronglifts.

35 years old.

@69/70kg (all are 5rm)

Squats - 122.5kg
Bench - 77.5kg (1rm is 90kg, the only one I've tested).
Deadlifts - 130kg (or 135kgx3)
OHP - 45kg
(all are slightly lower at the moment, as I've dropped them to build back up as per the stronglifts guide).

My nutrition...it's okay. I'm a type 1 diabetic so I don't really eat any junk food. I'm on about 2500/2600 cals a day. I've monitored my cals and what my weight has been doing. I normally end up putting around 100g a week with that. I've had a week off due to injury (possibly dropped my cals too much as I've lost a bit of weight). I think the injury was partially due to me being fatigued. Last year I was on roughly the same amount of calories but had 1 less gym session a week and I put on a considerable amount of fat. So hopefully that's about the right amount of cals. I don't eat enough fresh food but there is plenty of fruit and veg in there.

My sleep isn't too bad at the moment. 7.5-8.5 hours sleep a night (although it's often broken).

I do a lot of mobility/stretching before my bjj classes and a little before each gym session (probably not enough).

Soldato
Those numbers look quite good to me considering your weight and age.

The thing to take into account here is the difference between 5 heavy sets 3 times a week vs the slower progression suggested from Madcow stronglifts but a bit easier to manage.

You sound in a similar boat to me. Its possible the BJJ is sapping your energy a bit, and you might need some more clean food to fuel up if you intend to do more on top of Madcow or std. stronglifts.

By all means give it a go, but ensure that over the first 1-4 weeks of Madcow you REALLY focus on form and activating the right muscle groups per compound lift.

As its possible that you could be lifting with bad form meaning you are not using the right muscle groups properly to push past your plateu's and actually do the lift.

Either way best of luck! and let us know how you get on as i am keen to see how you find it alongside myself.

Man of Honour
The difference extra calories (full fat milk makes). Finally gaining with OHP. Smashed my PB OHP with 77.5kg for 6 triples and then 137.5kg machine for 2 triples. By far the best I’ve done and finally progressing again with shoulders. On track for my goal of 100kg OHP. The key as always, eat.

Soldato
The difference extra calories (full fat milk makes). Finally gaining with OHP. Smashed my PB OHP with 77.5kg for 6 triples and then 137.5kg machine for 2 triples. By far the best I’ve done and finally progressing again with shoulders. On track for my goal of 100kg OHP. The key as always, eat.

Thats mad numbers!

Ive only managed a 60KG for three, never tried higher. i struggle a lot with it.

Soldato
Those numbers look quite good to me considering your weight and age.

The thing to take into account here is the difference between 5 heavy sets 3 times a week vs the slower progression suggested from Madcow stronglifts but a bit easier to manage.

You sound in a similar boat to me. Its possible the BJJ is sapping your energy a bit, and you might need some more clean food to fuel up if you intend to do more on top of Madcow or std. stronglifts.

By all means give it a go, but ensure that over the first 1-4 weeks of Madcow you REALLY focus on form and activating the right muscle groups per compound lift.

As its possible that you could be lifting with bad form meaning you are not using the right muscle groups properly to push past your plateu's and actually do the lift.

Either way best of luck! and let us know how you get on as i am keen to see how you find it alongside myself.

Thanks for the info. Well progress is really slow on stronglifts at the moment. This is the third time I've dropped my weight on squats, each time I build back up I manage to break past the sticking but immediately fail when I go up a weight the next session, so the slower progression of madcow is fine for me. I'm not planning to compete or anything so there's no rush.

I'll send a trust for that spreadsheet, thanks!

Soldato
OP
Helped spot a boy on his 17th birthday squat 227.5kg/500lbs in the gym today (single-ply so knee wraps, although that was an unofficial national record for his weight class). Didn't even taper for it just wanted a birthday PR. DYEL feels...

Man of Honour
How long has he been lifting at that age?

On that note, what is perceived wisdom re when kids can start to weight train? My son is 11.5 and has asked.

Soldato
How long has he been lifting at that age?

On that note, what is perceived wisdom re when kids can start to weight train? My son is 11.5 and has asked.

Isnt there some issues with stunting growth and development in getting kids to "hardcore" train in any kind of physical sport from such a young age?

I might be totally making that up, But I would always suggest waiting until after puberty in doing any kind of training that boost hormone production dramatically.

Thats only my opinion though might be totally stupid to some. I would have course let my kids do sports and skills training, but anything like strongman training/heavy lifting to a high level i would be so concerned about.

Man of Honour
Isnt there some issues with stunting growth and development in getting kids to "hardcore" train in any kind of physical sport from such a young age?

I might be totally making that up, But I would always suggest waiting until after puberty in doing any kind of training that boost hormone production dramatically.

Thats only my opinion though might be totally stupid to some. I would have course let my kids do sports and skills training, but anything like strongman training/heavy lifting to a high level i would be so concerned about.

I've read similar, but I think only if you go really heavy too young (which seems to fit this case). I'd also worry about longevity having started so young, there must be an effect on development and whether any performance enhancers were used. Certainly crazy numbers at that age.

Soldato
Yeah those numbers are mad.

I would also tend to agree, so heavy so young, even if it didn't hinder physical development, it would certainly have an impact on joints and things from a young age.

Soldato
Thanks @Musty Pie for the spreadsheet. The app I was going to use was way off!

I've basically dropped my 5rm by 10% and entered them in. I've entered in KG, is that okay?

I'm doing 1 extra stronglifts session on Saturday (my friend wants to go to the gym) then I'll start madcow on Monday.

Man of Honour
I'm ill again. Not having much luck at the moment. Was hoping for a decent deadlift session. Will see if I can manage something, but I'm feeling pretty drained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom