2nd interview, presentation. Powerpoint & notes?

Soldato
I have a second interview coming up in a few weeks. I have to do a presentation for the panel of 3 (one of which was at the first interview), it's quite vague how the presentation should be presented. I understand the content but unsure how best to deliver it.

My plan was to have a PowerPoint with headers, and then discuss these headers with the use of printed notes. Some slides will have evidence of my success/skills but most of it would likely be me using spoken examples.

Is it OK to use notes/speech type of approach? I'm aware that I don't want a huge amount of text on my slides as want the focus to be on me.

I haven't really done a presentation for an interview before so unsure the expected format.

Soldato
I guess the job involves some presenting.

Reading notes is usually a bad move. Safer to know the material. Slides should have little to no text as the audience doesn't usually read it. Pictures are good. I think there's a local optimum around short title + full screen image per slide.

TJM

TJM

Associate
Forget the Powerpoint and any printed materials. Direct engagement is more effective with a small audience and will show them that you don't need props to get your point across. Any technical problems could also stress you out at the wrong time.

I do a lot of presenting and find this approach works for me when it has to go well:
  • Script the presentation and read it out loud several times. The point isn't to memorise the wording but to get a sense of whether the structure and content is engaging.
  • Reduce the improved script to headers and bullet points. You'll know the structure and key points by now, which will keep the waffling to a minimum, and you can make up the exact wording as you go along.
  • Write the headers on a small card (along with any essential points), test whether you can deliver the presentation with just the card a few times and then bring it into the interview. Aside from the odd glance at the card to keep yourself on track, stay focused on the audience. If you do lose your place, move on to the next header and come back to any essential points that you missed at the end.
Try to keep it conversational. Not 'Amirite m8???' but a funny observation about a previous situation or directly posing a question to someone before answering it for them will keep the interviewers awake. My goal in presenting is to give a fairly well scripted monologue that doesn't come across like one because they're usually as boring as hell. Nailing down the structure and key points but being flexible about the wording helps a lot in that regard.

Soldato
Hard to know without knowing the context. This could be selling bibles or writing political speeches. Might be advertising.

Personally I'd find a non visual presentation very dry/dull and the risk is someone thinking you're just winging it unless you are an excellent speaker.

That said maybe they aren't expecting a professional presentation. Who knows.

Soldato
OP
Forget the Powerpoint and any printed materials. Direct engagement is more effective with a small audience and will show them that you don't need props to get your point across. Any technical problems could also stress you out at the wrong time.

I do a lot of presenting and find this approach works for me when it has to go well:
  • Script the presentation and read it out loud several times. The point isn't to memorise the wording but to get a sense of whether the structure and content is engaging.
  • Reduce the improved script to headers and bullet points. You'll know the structure and key points by now, which will keep the waffling to a minimum, and you can make up the exact wording as you go along.
  • Write the headers on a small card (along with any essential points), test whether you can deliver the presentation with just the card a few times and then bring it into the interview. Aside from the odd glance at the card to keep yourself on track, stay focused on the audience. If you do lose your place, move on to the next header and come back to any essential points that you missed at the end.
Try to keep it conversational. Not 'Amirite m8???' but a funny observation about a previous situation or directly posing a question to someone before answering it for them will keep the interviewers awake. My goal in presenting is to give a fairly well scripted monologue that doesn't come across like one because they're usually as boring as hell. Nailing down the structure and key points but being flexible about the wording helps a lot in that regard.

I like this a lot, and it's good. However, I've been asked to email my presentation over so I trust they are wanting something a bit more Powerpoint'y.

I am however going to ditch the notes and use the Powerpoint (if that's the route I go down) as prompt to enter into dialogue with the panel.

I do do presenting at work, and to be honest it's quite like the above but I use a computer/projector to demonstrate figures/comparisons. I don't do a Powerpoint presentation in the majority of my presentations with my customers. Only really use it for end of quarter/year meetings with my management.

Caporegime
It's surely context dependent.

I'd say though that the suggestion of just talking without any visual aides etc.. would be a bad idea in an interview even if you hadn't been asked to e-mail it before hand - without knowing the context/what they're looking for they might want to look at your presentation itself as well as see you present - being able to present something clearly both in writing and while pitching directly are both important skills if you're potentially going to do this for clients. If they've asked you to e-mail it too then it's a no brainer.

Re: notes - if you mean bits of paper etc.. then that's a bad move, you don't want to be looking down/reading from a script etc.. on the other hand a few small cardboard cards with some pointers on (pointers that might be relevant for you might differ to what you'd put in bullet points on the powerpoint slides)

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Make use of speaker notes in PowerPoint instead of bits of paper maybe?

Then when running in presenter mode you can see them.

Soldato
Make use of speaker notes in PowerPoint instead of bits of paper maybe?

Then when running in presenter mode you can see them.
Was going to suggest the same, if you want notes to prompt you, put them in PowerPoint notes and use it fully. (though potentially strip the notes out before sending it to them)

Soldato
OP
So, some closure!

I had the interview, I overran on time but they very much liked it. I didn't use notes, and was a bit word heavy on some of the slides but I acknowledged this during the presentation, instead just speaking about what was on the screen and giving examples etc. I knew what I wanted to say, as I scripted it in my head and practiced quite a few times.

Key feedback was that I was a bit word heavy, and also I didn't use the company's colour scheme/branding enough (used it once on the introduction slide) which isn't something I even thought about but makes sense now but I was friendly, clearly I had well rehearsed what I wanted to say and I didn't rely on using notes/a speech.

Anyway, phone call this morning and I've been offered the job. Wooo!

TJM

TJM

Associate
Good stuff, congratulations.
...also I didn't use the company's colour scheme/branding enough (used it once on the introduction slide)...
That's an odd criticism since you weren't delivering a presentation on the company's behalf but they may have been reaching for something to give feedback on.

Back
Top Bottom