Noctua NH-D15 for i9-9900K 5.0Ghz?

Associate
Hello,

I am currently tussling between going AMD or Intel for my next build and I have a question pertaining to the i9-9900K. If I got it I would probably be overclocking it to 5.0Ghz for maximum performance. I would probably be going for an all air-cooled system, using the Fractal Design Meshify S2 with three Noctua NF-A14 140mm fans as intake, one as a rear exhaust and one as a top-rear exhaust. To cool my i9-9900K I would probably go for the Noctua NH-D15. Would this give acceptable cooling? For a motherboard I may end up going with the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master as I have seen it perform very well with regards to thermals and I've been told it has great VRMs as well.

Thanks.

Soldato
Hello,

I am currently tussling between going AMD or Intel for my next build and I have a question pertaining to the i9-9900K. If I got it I would probably be overclocking it to 5.0Ghz for maximum performance. I would probably be going for an all air-cooled system, using the Fractal Design Meshify S2 with three Noctua NF-A14 140mm fans as intake, one as a rear exhaust and one as a top-rear exhaust. To cool my i9-9900K I would probably go for the Noctua NH-D15. Would this give acceptable cooling? For a motherboard I may end up going with the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master as I have seen it perform very well with regards to thermals and I've been told it has great VRMs as well.

Thanks.
If your thinking of going Intel then you would probably be best waiting a couple of months for the new platform as all the new stuff will have hyperthreading so you could get an i7 10700k which will be 8/16 cores threads and this will likely go for a similar price as the current i7 9700k also you would have the option of the 10 core 10900k now or as an upgrade in a few years time.

Going AMD then you could get a ryzen 3600 as a placeholder till the 4000 series then drop in one of those which if they do increase IPC by 15% and with the unified cashe could quite easily leave Intel trailing even for gaming.

Soldato
Hello,

Thanks.
If it was me I would use be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm PWM High Speed. They cost about the same and are better / quieter fans. You dont need any exhaust fans, just intakes with any openings not covered by them blocked of to keep the air they push into case from leaking back in front of them. I would also remove all PCIe back slot covers to incease rear vent area around GPU and thus improve front to back airflow around it .. which lowers air temp meaning lower CPU and GPU temps and overal quieter system. ;)

You might find link below is to basic guide about airflow and how to optimize case airflow of interest:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

Back
Top Bottom