why all the hate for hs2?

Caporegime
Exactly my point, contracts have gone to French and Swedish....get someone else to do it. Instead of employing people in the UK to built it. Get UK engineers skilled up and create more jobs.

Well did you expect anything different? I have seen lots of posts on Social media post Brexit saying no foreign companies should be allowed to work on HS2. They are going to be bitterly disappointed.

Caporegime
Wait to see their disappointment when Ultra-rich foreigners buy out all the property along the line. WHO COULD HAVE PREDICTED THIS :SHOCK:!?!

You love to see it.

Soldato
so the resigning chancellor/Sajid thinks Boris' spending projections are junk
... boris want his own stooges working for the chancellor.

Soldato
Exactly my point, contracts have gone to French and Swedish....get someone else to do it. Instead of employing people in the UK to built it. Get UK engineers skilled up and create more jobs.

Same as doctors, nurses, builders, etc. Why pay money to train our own people, when we can just poach them from abroad. Leaving the EU won't change that.

Caporegime
so the resigning chancellor/Sajid thinks Boris' spending projections are junk
... boris want his own stooges working for the chancellor.

Worst than that is it is now expected that all your advisers are hand picked by Cummins so they can keep an eye on you and make sure you toe the line. It really is becoming 1984.

Caporegime
So good to see Sajid is saying BJ's wild spending plans aren't viable and are unicorn dust. :)

About time we had somebody telling the truth but sad to see it takes you losing your job before you find a backbone.

Caporegime
Same as doctors, nurses, builders, etc. Why pay money to train our own people, when we can just poach them from abroad. Leaving the EU won't change that.
We are training our own people (probably not enough tho), and a lot of them are leaving after a few years to work abroad. Because of the state our NHS is in, and the conditions that they have to work under in this country. Conditions that a lot of comparable health services would find abhorrent. Like working 36 hour shifts, etc.

Capodecina
Soldato
We are training our own people (probably not enough tho), and a lot of them are leaving after a few years to work abroad. Because of the state our NHS is in, and the conditions that they have to work under in this country. Conditions that a lot of comparable health services would find abhorrent. Like working 36 hour shifts, etc.
Makes you proud to be British, doesn't it?

Soldato
Posted in another thread but also relevant here:

The A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon improvement scheme cost about £1.5bn and is actually going to be brought in early (started in 2017, 21 miles of road), it going to save approximately 20 minutes a day for the 85,000 that use it. To me that is the kind of thing that the Government needs to be doing more of/backing. Re-opening old railway lines which will benefit 100,000's of people a day, not these "vanity" projects.

There must me literally 100's of other schemes that would actually benefit the Country and the people that live in it more that HS2, if/when it is built I think it will have the opposite effect to what they think, it will now back London "commutable" to those in the North!

From BBC website:

The new railway line running between London and the West Midlands would carry 400m-long (1,300ft) trains with as many as 1,100 seats per train.

The line would enable trains to reach speeds of up to 250mph and would run as often as 14 times an hour in each direction.

So let's be generous and say there are 2 usage spikes between 06:00 and 08:00 in the morning and 16:00 and 18:00 in the evening, that 56 trains and approx 62,000 passengers, doesn't sound great for £100bn investment!

Currently it cost approx £140 for a ticket from London to Crewe, how much is it going to cost on the new line, less, can't see that! Who exactly is going to be shelling out £200 a day to commute from London/North or visa-versa, it really just BONKERS!

Last edited:
Soldato
I believe the future of the office environment is virtual and augmented reality, the need to be there could well be rather moot in 10 years time. Why travel anywhere when you can create a fully interactive shared space environment with your colleagues with totally connectivity from your own living room. Movement of people for manual labour tasks in the future, oversimplifying the point, but we've pretty much accepted that automation will task most of that.

The major techs like Apple, Google, Microsoft there all working toward this.

We'll be left with a transport network mostly used for leisure purposes. To the point of spending what'll likely top 200 billion pounds, well it's happening I guess:/

Capodecina
Soldato
I believe the future of the office environment is virtual and augmented reality, the need to be there could well be rather moot in 10 years time. Why travel anywhere when you can create a fully interactive shared space environment with your colleagues with totally connectivity from your own living room. Movement of people for manual labour tasks in the future, oversimplifying the point, but we've pretty much accepted that automation will task most of that.

We'll be left with a transport network mostly used for leisure purposes. To the point of spending what'll likely top 200 billion pounds, well it's happening I guess:/
This all makes complete sense - although the "Augmented reality" may perhaps be a wee bit OTT - who makes sense in GD? BURN THE RATIONAL HERETIC!

Labour were ridiculed for suggesting free super-fast broadband for all homes - it would have made more sense than HS2; I just can't believe how often I go into a coffee shop or cafe to find it being used as an office.

Soldato
It’ll be a white elephant, the money would be better invested elsewhere

We have all been here before....

1860-Lets build a huge Ship that can carry 4500 passengers and steam from England to Australia and back without having to refuel. because it will be a brilliant and innovative advance in transport and everybody will want to use it and we will make pots of money..

(No, They didn't)

1960-Lets build a (Technically brilliant, absolutely no criticism there at all) really fast civil airliner so people can travel around the world at twice the speed of sound because it will be a brilliant and innovative advance in transport and everybody will want to use it and we will make pots of money..

(No, They didn't)

2060-(well near enough really) Lets build a (Technically brilliant, absolutely no criticism there at all) really fast railway between London and Birmingham because it will be a brilliant and innovative advance in transport and everybody will want to use it and we will make pots of money..

(No, They won't, and even if they did, the number of regular daily season ticket holders for the route will be unlikely to top 100,000 people even if they were all standing, so the numbers who would benefit from this represent only a tiny fraction of 1% of the UK population to the likely detriment of tens of millions of others)

:(

Soldato
Amazes me people are STILL only considering the impact/benefit from the point of view of the users of the HS2 service only. Counting the number of people that might use HS2 and using that alone as a metric to gauge its worth is completely stupid.

Existing lines will still get enhancements (capacity, rolling stock, new technology etc) - there are already a large number of enhancement works planned for existing and new infra around the country. But it will ultimately be possible to accelerate these works because of the alternative to get to/from London. You simply can't do the enhancement works in a reasonable time frame without a viable alternative to release some of the strain on the existing network.

I'm not saying the cost isn't huge, I'm saying the project is necessary regardless.

Pho

Pho

Soldato

This is my thoughts as well. Look at London etc on bank holidays, or the roads when schools are off in the morning - it's pretty much empty.

The Government should be promoting businesses to have people work remotely where feasible. Clearly hospital staff etc couldn't do this, but most people who work in service industries/IT could.

Or focus on creating business hubs and shared spaces so people only need to walk a mile down the road and get access to all the facilities they need to work remotely with colleagues in other towns/cities/countries rather than sitting in the car for an hour each morning clogging up the roads. I'm sure it'll do wonders for the environment too.

Eventually highstreets will disappear and turn into housing and businesses will just operate out of warehouses (e.g., Amazon) which further reduces the need for everyone to be in the same place at once even more and reduce the reliance on London etc.

Permabanned
This is my thoughts as well. Look at London etc on bank holidays, or the roads when schools are off in the morning - it's pretty much empty.

The Government should be promoting businesses to have people work remotely where feasible. Clearly hospital staff etc couldn't do this, but most people who work in service industries/IT could.

Or focus on creating business hubs and shared spaces so people only need to walk a mile down the road and get access to all the facilities they need to work remotely with colleagues in other towns/cities/countries rather than sitting in the car for an hour each morning clogging up the roads. I'm sure it'll do wonders for the environment too.

Eventually highstreets will disappear and turn into housing and businesses will just operate out of warehouses (e.g., Amazon) which further reduces the need for everyone to be in the same place at once even more and reduce the reliance on London etc.

We still have vast amounts of employers that have an antiquated bums on seats view of office working and a 9-5 attitude. "Working at home" is still viewed as a bit of a skive and flexibility is frowned upon.

Soldato
We still have vast amounts of employers that have an antiquated bums on seats view of office working and a 9-5 attitude. "Working at home" is still viewed as a bit of a skive and flexibility is frowned upon.

Definitely the case in some industries! Also worth noting that the industries which could have people who work remotely only makes up a tiny proportion of jobs. It's just not physically or logistically possible for the vast majority.

Back
Top Bottom