Upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 ?

Soldato
Just grab latest Intel driver from their website and install it manually without Windows updates (do Windows updates later after it installs fine and reboot as well), sometimes it's just a case of too many updates at once that break things.

Soldato
If you have onboard graphics but aren't using it, the best thing to do is disable it in the BIOS. Then it won't even appear in windows.

If you need to remove the Nvidia GPU at a later time, your mobo will automatically default to using onboard.

Soldato
I did an 'uninstall' of the intel graphics in windows itself but looking at the UEFI setup I had it set to PCI Express anyway.

LAnw0hs.jpg

The intel graphics has now disappeared from device manager though.

EDITED :-

Got it updated now and everything seems to be working ok. Thanks for all the help :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Another question...

Can I download everything required for an upgrade from Win7 to Win10 and do it all offline? I have a very slow internet connection (1.1 MBps) and it would be more convenient to download it while I'm doing something else rather than waiting for the upgrade tool to spend ages downloading stuff while my PC is unusable. The info for offline installation only refers to clean installs, not upgrades from 7.

Associate
Another question...

Can I download everything required for an upgrade from Win7 to Win10 and do it all offline? I have a very slow internet connection (1.1 MBps) and it would be more convenient to download it while I'm doing something else rather than waiting for the upgrade tool to spend ages downloading stuff while my PC is unusable. The info for offline installation only refers to clean installs, not upgrades from 7.

Yes, that's how I upgraded one of my machines. Only needs internet to activate.

Man of Honour
Yes, that's how I upgraded one of my machines. Only needs internet to activate.

Thanks, doing it off a USB stick be more convenient for me. I think it should also avoid making the main account an online MS account, which current versions of Win10 force you to do. If I want an MS account, I'll make one.

One more question in my procrastination delaying this change I don't really want - can I change from 7 to 10 with an antivirus program in place or do I have to thoroughly uninstall it first? I'm thinking that AV programs might not play nice with wholesale changes of system files.

Man of Honour
Thanks for the answers. I'm now on 10 and (surprisingly) the upgrade did just work. It didn't even try to force me to use an MS account (although it did notify me that not having one was an issue, I could just dismiss that notification). Unsurprisingly, it took ages with little or no indication as to whether anything was actually happening. Including several minutes of nothing but an image of an admittedly very pretty landscape for some reason. But now it's on and I've used WPD and Spybot Anti-beacon and think I've reduced the worst of the spyware.

So now I just have to wait until MS force updates on me that break something. Yay, the joys of Windows 10.

Associate
Win10 has been good for me so far, only real issue was it quietly substituting my Realtek sound driver with a crappy MS driver which broke sound completely. I've stopped all driver updates to retain control over that, and prevented automatic install of any other updates until I review them manually.

Associate
I just updated to Windows 10 Pro but now find it can't find my Key, I cant find my key LOL so I got a Windows is not Authenticated. LOL Still works ok.
The most Annoying thing though is the Drivers as I'm forever fixing some of them after each update...Latest is my Audio drivers. I been trying to install old ones, new ones etc but still I only get two speakers working instead of 4 and Sub Woofer..doing my head in.

Back
Top Bottom