How to securely wipe an nvme SSD

Associate
I have an Intel 660p 1TB and I'm looking to securely erase the data on it. Most tools I see seem to be to erasing a drive which is NOT your only sole boot drive. Would "Asus Secure Erase" work? It's in the BIOS apparently

Soldato
Your OS is on the disk and you want to wipe it? Even if the bios secure erase feature works, you will probably want to verify that there is no recoverable data on it...and you will need software and an OS to do that.

Do you have another drive you can install an OS on and a way to run the new drive/os and the old drive in the same system?

Associate
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-securely-erase-an-ssd-drive/ (old but still relevant). Basically you want something that you can boot from, load the tool up , execute it (do it a few times if you want to be 100% sure).

As Twinz said, if you want to verify nothing is on it, and have access to another PC / same PC running an operating system from another drive, consider an external USB to NVMe caddy. Can't link due to rules, but search for NVME USB and you should find something suitable.

Back
Top Bottom