Star Trek: Picard

Soldato
Jean Luc Picard, or the Man from Del Monte!
Lol was the first thing I said to myself. He stood out hilariously.

I have to confess that I am struggling with the show. I enjoy it but - this doesn’t feel like the Picard I once knew and loved. The show just feels ‘off’ in ways I can’t describe yet and it always seems to take forever to get somewhere....and then the sodding episode ends!

Man of Honour
The show just feels ‘off’ in ways I can’t describe yet and it always seems to take forever to get somewhere....and then the sodding episode ends!

I'm enjoying it, but it isn't the same without the enterprise and he's showing his age a little. It does also feel like this series could be done in a two parter.

Soldato
Lol was the first thing I said to myself. He stood out hilariously.

I have to confess that I am struggling with the show. I enjoy it but - this doesn’t feel like the Picard I once knew and loved. The show just feels ‘off’ in ways I can’t describe yet and it always seems to take forever to get somewhere....and then the sodding episode ends!

I'm enjoying it, but it isn't the same without the enterprise and he's showing his age a little. It does also feel like this series could be done in a two parter.
it's not meant to be TNG or Star Trek as we know it. If you were expecting that, then you aren't likely joking it for that reason.

Soldato
With all these people complaining about the weekly release cycle, the trollish part of me has a sneaking hope that this first season doesn't end up resolving everything and we have to wait until the second season for everything to become clear :D

It'd be funny if every episode is like this, all exposition and setup, each week adds another character, sets up more questions, a little bit of excitement and action at the end, but nothing ever gets resolved until the ship and the château is just packed with random characters while Soji and a load of undercover Romulans noodle about on a knackered Borg cube, and nothing ever moves forwards, none of the plot points are explained.

I can understand the reports of massive reshoots, the shortening of the series, and mashing together of loads of plot.

Soldato
it's not meant to be TNG or Star Trek as we know it. If you were expecting that, then you aren't likely joking it for that reason.
I was never expecting a TNG but the feeling of it being Trek isn’t there to some extent. In an earlier episode Picards expensive villa is mentioned whilst Raffi slums it out - I thought Wealth wasn’t a thing and humans now better themselves as mentioned in First Contact. Obviously times have clearly changed.

Hell I got along fine with ST Discoball. Picard seems to be taking its time getting somewhere.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I was never expecting a TNG but the feeling of it being Trek isn’t there to some extent. In an earlier episode Picards expensive villa is mentioned whilst Raffi slums it out - I thought Wealth wasn’t a thing and humans now better themselves as mentioned in First Contact. Obviously times have clearly changed.

I suspect that Raffi lives out at Kirk's Rock in a trailer because she chooses to after her Starfleet career ended. It's not a case of not being able to afford better, or somewhere better not being available. It's a case of her thinking that she doesn't deserve better.

Hell I got along fine with ST Discoball. Picard seems to be taking its time getting somewhere.

Eh, at least STP is actually going somewhere even if it's taking some time to do so. STD never knew where it wanted to go in the first season (a legacy of the behind-the-scenes chopping and changing), ending it pretty much back where it started except for a whole bunch of people being dead in an off-screen war...

Soldato
You mean so it'd be like it was ...

wait for it ...

"Lost" in space?

(Sorry.)

That's one of the criticism of Kurtzman Trek and the JJ Abrams Trek (Kurtzman learned under Abrams). It's all questions and setups, but never any answers or explanations. Action scenes that look great but don't make sense, characters that behave stupidly for plot advancing reasons only. STD is probably the worst example of this so far, but the pacing of Picard is getting a bit stuck now.

You can set up these amazing questions and situations, but if you never bother to answer them, there can't be any disappointment over the resolutions. In fact you can set up massively exciting stories, and then just walk away with no consequences by not bothering to give the audience any kind of satisfying ending or answers. That's Abrams and Kurtzman's MO to make something appear exciting or interesting, without having a payoff at the end, usually because they haven't thought of one.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I suspect that Raffi lives out at Kirk's Rock in a trailer because she chooses to after her Starfleet career ended. It's not a case of not being able to afford better, or somewhere better not being available. It's a case of her thinking that she doesn't deserve better.

Not the feeling i got from what she was saying, going on about his fine chateau the oak beams and the heirloom furniture, then she talks about her "estate" being a humiliating hovel. It seems all the talk about wealth etc from tng has went by the wayside.

Soldato
With this rag-tag crew and futuristic ship it feel like it should be called Mass Effect: Picard :D:p

I'm really enjoying this, each episode feels too short; I'm quite happy with it being exposition over action.

Soldato
To be honest, I was just using the comparison with the series "Lost" to make a crappy pun about the series "Lost in Space". :o

I know, but things make more sense if you realise that JJ Abrams did Lost and the Kelvin Trek movies, Kurtzman learned his craft from Abrams, and now Kurtzman is in charge of STD and STP. The storytelling and visual style (and problems inherent to it) are the same.

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Not the feeling i got from what she was saying, going on about his fine chateau the oak beams and the heirloom furniture, then she talks about her "estate" being a humiliating hovel. It seems all the talk about wealth etc from tng has went by the wayside.

Yeah, but she was angry with him. And also huffing on her Future Weed Pen™ a bunch. So at best she's a slightly unreliable narrator at that point :)

Soldato
Yeah, but she was angry with him. And also huffing on her Future Weed Pen™ a bunch. So at best she's a slightly unreliable narrator at that point :)

She blames him for his grand gesture, and taking her down with him, with no thought to the consequences. It's not just the fact that Picard gets to go home to his vineyard and she's got nothing, but she feels she's let down the Romulan rescue effort because she's not there to do her job, because of Picard.

She then complains that she's lost her security clearance and then can't get a job. "Really?" I thought "A highly trained senior Starfleet officer can't get a job anywhere and decides to mope about in a mobile home in the desert for twenty years?"

Soldato
I have taken to half watching this while doing something else on the laptop, just not engaged at all.

I see this week we got another F-bomb, which to be fair was in context and elicited a wry chuckle from me, then later on a
decapitation.
Apart from the rather plodding pace, then, it almost seems the main motivation is to piddle off the legacy of Gene Roddenberry, if he is indeed looking down from on high to see where his "baby" has been taken.

Really does make S4 of The Expanse look like a masterpiece of TV.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Does anyone think this has a bit of a Star Wars feel in places?

To a degree.

The pacing obviously isn't as frantic as a Star Wars film can be, and the dialogue is orders of magnitude better-written than any seen in the SW franchise since "The Empire Strikes Back". As soon as they start blending IndyCar engine sounds into the mix as fighters or shuttlecraft go flitting around the screen, then they'll have hit peak Star Wars ;)

Back
Top Bottom