Spec me a place to buy chicken

Soldato
Used to buy it all from Costco, but I'm now not that close to one, so any money saved is wasted on petrol.

I liked the fact that it was reasonably cheap (£25 worth would last 2 months ish), where as Sainsburys is quite expensive, and shrinks a lot when cooking.

Where are some alternative places to buy in bulk? Farmfoods any good?

Many thanks :)

Soldato
OP
Very true. I keep chickens and in the past have raised them for meat and can’t bring myself to buy anything less than free range. Intensive chicken farming is terrible.

My local butchers in Loughborough closed not so long ago - gutted as the meat was excellent and locally produced :)

I think they were perhaps just too cheap, as they always seemed busy.

Companies can’t compete with convenience unfortunately.

Soldato
I would say local butchers or if you have a Booker near you, they do a box for about £20ish which is good quality as well.

I tend to avoid supermarket ones, particularly Lidl/Aldi/Sainsbury's they have been awful quality when I have had them.

Soldato
if you can freeze then CostCo would still be cheaper than the supermarket tat surely?

Went there on the weekend and stocked up on bits including pork belly (excellent quality), chicken boobs and bacon. It's a round trip of an hour but worth it.

Or we get about 5kg for £22-£25 in the butchers.

Soldato
OP
Hmmm maybe I'll skip Musclefood in that case - I'd rather pay a little more for something that has lived a (somewhat) better life and locally sourced.

May just renew my Costco membership at £33. Only thing is, I don't think I'm eligible anymore. I assume if it's done online, they don't check eligibility?

Soldato
I used to use MF quite a bit, but I was always unsure of the ethical standard of their foods. The breasts are enormous, not naturally so I often thought.

I will try to use a local farm shop a lot more in the future, for veg too. I hate buying supermarket veg, but you can't argue against the convenience and availability for most things.

Back
Top Bottom