** NEW LG MONITORS - INCLUDING 2 EXCLUSIVE TO OCUK!!! **

Associate
is there much of a difference ? becasue of 144hz, the lg is £130 more and has the worst contrast of any ips monitor plus not to sure how good it is for mixed work.

is the dell that bad for gaming ?

the best gaming ips contrast is the

27"
ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q.........1334:1 144hz ips
ASUS TUF VG27AQ................1247:1 144hz ips
Acer VG271UP......................1244:1 144hz ips
ASUS ROG Swift PG279QZ.......1195:1 144hz ips
ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD....1071:1 144hz ips
Gigabyte Aorus AD27QD..........1063:1 144hz ips
Acer Predator XB271HU...........1055:1 144hz ips
LG 27GL850-B........................735:1 144hz ips

the dell U2719D is 1142:1 60hz ips

i can not understand how many people rate the LG 27GL850 as
1, poor contrast to all ips monitors
2, HDR is usless on this monitor as it hardly brings anything as it does not go bright enough
3, the 1ms does not work and you have to set it 4ms which is about the same as the dells

so the only thing i can see going for it is the gaming side of it and thats it but the monitors i listed above are all gaming monitors and have a far better contrast. I am going to look inot each one and see what each one brings and ill report back

so why is the LG such a big hit ? also would a LG 700:1 contrast be much better than my samsung TNT 2443 monitors ?

thanks

Associate
I'm also confused about the contrast of this monitor. I am so close to buying it but I'm not sure if the low contrast ratio will be a factor.

Associate
I’ve been researching which monitor to get for a while now, and contrast was the only issue that made me pause, although I finally ordered the LG.

I was falling prey to being stuck on looking at the contrast ratings, but something to consider is that display panels can have so much variation when it comes to IPS glow / backlight bleed. One monitor may have a higher contrast, but if it has worse IPS glow that eats into blacks on a dark scene, then a lower contrast monitor with less IPS glow is likely going to look better, although it’s subjective of course. Quality control therefore should to be taken into account, and at least anecdotally, LG appear to be less of a ‘panel lottery’ in terms of QC compared to the competition (with the exclusion of Dell, perhaps).

Associate
i know what your saying but its nearly 40% less contrast than other gaming/non gaming ips monitors which i find strange for a new released monitor and i am sure you could tell the difference at a 40% less contrast ratio as thats a lot.

Associate
Update on the items below.

• I will shortly solve the power cable adaptor length with an underdesk cable rack. TBH this will have the added benefit of tidying up the mass of DP 1.4, power and other cables I have so no biggie.
  • I am living with flimsy stands and if they really bother me then I found a nice Tripe monitor vesa stand for £50
  • The over saturated colours (especially red) are due to the wide color gamut I've been told. I messed around with the settings a bit but couldn't really make a lot of change. I have begun adjusting to the colours and the slight downside is offset by the postives you get in games.
  • IPS glow doesn't bother me and as mentioned I was expecting it.
  • I replaced the monitor with the excessive back light bleed and the new one is probably the best of the 3 panels I have. Once again overclockers customer support was super good in looking after me. Thanks ashley.
I notice loads of posts about poor constrast stats appearing here. I have no clue what they are going on about as contrast is not an issue as far as I am concerned on this monitor. I had 2 x Aorus CV27Q which had high contrast VA panels and these look just as good.

Those that are comparing these LG against the £200 more expensive Asus panel are not comparing like for like and I have heard horror stories of poor QC and customer service from Asus.

I will spend a few words explaining how I use me setup. All 3 monitors are plugged into a 2070 Super. The machine al;so contains a watercooled i9-9900k, 32Gb Corsair RAM, 2 x 1TB Samsung NVME and a 850W PSU. All 3 screens connect via DP 1.4 cables.
One of the screens also connects into a Surface Pro via HDMI which I toggle between DP and HDMI depending if I am working or playing.

Took delivery of three 27GL850-B the other day. Obviously this means I am 3 times more likely to lose the panel lottery. The things I was expecting to be good are good, in fact better than good (no dead pixels for example!).

There are a number of negatives however, some I can live with or workaround and some I can't, but I am interested in other people's feedback so far as I stuggled to find a lot of people's impressions on this thread as it seems more pre-sales and delivery focused.

Here are some of the niggles/issues I have:
  • The power adaptor (monitor to transformer) has the shortest cable I have come across for any device. I have had to put boxes on the floor to allow the transformer to sit flat as the cable just wouldn't reach the monitors on my desk. I have a standard ikea desk of normal height. (Another workaround: I may have to get an underdesk cable tidy rack and put the transformers in there).
  • The stands are so flimsy and cheap that the monitor(s) wobble at the slightest desk movement (Workaround: I may need to buy a VESA monitor arm which will solve this).
  • I have noticed that most scarlet reds appear more pinky than I was used to. I'll get used to this I guess but I hope it doesn't affect colour editing too badly in Photshop or Premiere which I have yet to try.
  • IPS Glow is very apparent from certain angles but as I am sitting fairly straight on most of the time I think it's liveable with.
  • From a backlight bleed perspective this is where the main issue lies. One of the monitors is pretty good in that respect so I call that a panel lottery win. One of the others is leaking a bit on the top edge but as I mainly use that monitor for work related stuff (Excel etc.) the mmonitor is usually displaying white or webpages so I think I can live with it. Let's call that one a panel lottery draw :) The 3rd one however is really bad with a bright leak coming from the bottom edge about 2 inches in from the right edge. Now on majority of backgrounds I don't notice it but as soon as you go black you can and of course like a blemish on anything once you can see you can't unsee it and you will always look for it. The problem is really noticeable when watching a 21:9 movie as the glow at the bottom is always noticeable.
I'll keep testing/feeding back over the next few days before my returns window expires and advise on what I decide to do.

Associate
Thanks REITSY, appreciate you taking the time to post both your initial thoughts and the updated feedback. I have just gone to order it and it is preorder again, typical! It was showing as 10plus in stock earlier. Too much dilly-dally :)

Associate

i can not understand how many people rate the LG 27GL850 as
1, poor contrast to all ips monitors
2, HDR is usless on this monitor as it hardly brings anything as it does not go bright enough
3, the 1ms does not work and you have to set it 4ms which is about the same as the dells

so the only thing i can see going for it is the gaming side of it and thats it but the monitors i listed above are all gaming monitors and have a far better contrast. I am going to look inot each one and see what each one brings and ill report back

so why is the LG such a big hit ? also would a LG 700:1 contrast be much better than my samsung TNT 2443 monitors ?

thanks

I bought the LG over all the other monitors because the LG has better response at different Hz (144/120/100/60) without causing as much overshoot such as the Asus VG27AQ - which was the one of the other monitors I was considering.
The poor contrast was far better than my Asus VG248QE, so that was going to be an improvement either way and I am not disappointed.
I was not too interested in HDR as I am only using it for gaming.
Yes, the 1ms response time is not something I am ever going to use, but it still has a very fast response time for an IPS without using the Fastest option.

If I had the option to choose again, I would buy the LG again.

Back
Top Bottom