Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey lol

Associate
It was a good film, certainly my favourite DC movie out there. I did not spot a single "woke" moment during the film, nothing felt forced or out of place to me. HQ is however a total badass with a horrible fixation on knees......

Soldato
Harley Quinn isn't cool (especially since every woman in the land started dressing up as her at Halloween ffs). If it had Batman in it, I'd go see it, because Batman is cool. Same way I didn't bother with Aquaman, he just isn't cool enough for me.

Wonder Woman, yeh, watched that because she's cool. And will go watch the new one when that's out.

Meh indeed.

Soldato
I'm impressed by how consistently the DC movies are much worse than the Marvel ones. I'm not a comic book reader either so it's nothing to do with the source material etc

I think wonder woman is the best I've seen. Man of Steel was ok I suppose. I had high hopes for justice League but it was not great. Batman Vs Superman was just stupid

Soldato
I enjoy watching all this woke garbage flop.

What makes it “woke”? It looks like a pretty bog standard comic book film to me. I suspect it’s failure is more down to fans of the genre not trusting DC, and HQ not being a big enough name to attract casuals to the cinema. Strikes me a certain subset of people are making assumptions about the film without seeing it, largely based on there being a lot of women involved...

Soldato
I loved Wonder Woman, a very beautiful woman that didn't trash the fans even when the media were trying to goad her into it. The media interviews at the time were trying to get her to say it's a woman empowerment film for women, she had none of it and said it's just a film to entertain. When I saw that I was a guaranteed watch, and it was a very good film except the end got a bit messy if memory serves. Still it was very good, I even took a lady friend to watch it again, and she loved it too!

With Harley Quinn, I'm sure they knew it was going to be a bad film so THE go to tacitc is SJW issues and virtue signals, I'm sure it was a girly film made for girls by girls - the main problem being it was BAD with very inexperienced writer and director. When you have cast interviews, before the film is even in the cinema, calling men misogynists(Ewan McGregor) it will turn off a subset of people(me inc) that would have given it a chance. As has been said, given they said that and more men then women, 54%-46%, still went to watch it the main problem has to be that women don't want to watch this sort of film(comic based super heroes).

I'm sure it's not terrible, as in ghost busters 2016/Batwoman terrible, the marketing for this film was adversarial to the potential viewership - IE they attacked potential viewers even before they gave it a chance. If they are like me then I'm sure they voted with their wallet and saw something that actually wanted them to watch. Even the title was rediculous, so much so they've now changed it so the normies can tell what it is.

Soldato
What makes it “woke”?

The actual film wasn't "in your face" with it's feminism TBH so that wasn't what I would consider "woke". The claim of "wokeness" came from the stars & studio interviews prior to release, with comments like "(this is) a film that covers some of the misogynist nonsense that you ladies have to deal with on a daily basis." or "it’s definitely less male gaze–y. That’s what happens when you have a female producer, director [and] writer,” or "We need to be more aware of how we behave with the opposite sex. We need to be taught to change" etc.

I think all those sorts of comments, widely reported on before it's release, are what may have put a small number of people off. For me the bigger issue is that Harley Quinn is actually quite a minor character in the DC universe, with most "non-comic readers" only knowing her from Suicide Squad, so when a lesser known character is given a film in which stars are telling people "hey this is going to be a lecture about misogyny rather than a fun entertaining film" (which is how those pre-release interviews sounded to me) them it's no surprise that very few people (male or female) could be bothered to spend money on it.

Now compare all that pre-release "it's feminist" interviews with the pre-release PR for stuff like Wonder Woman, Lara Croft, Salt etc, which had strong female leads, and you'll see that those films didn't have any "this is feminist" type stuff before release so people (both male and female) went to see it in big numbers.

That for me just shows that studios really need to be fully aware that pre-release interviews by stars can have a huge effect on whether people want to see their films and should react accordingly i.e lets talk about how fun the film is, how good the story is etc.

Soldato
Really? Why would that "turn off" men?

Yeah I don't get it either. They are just trying to get more women out to watch comic movies. They said exactly the same with Wonder Woman and I still went and saw it and it was the most enjoyable of all the DC movies if you don't include the Nolan Batman movies. It helped that Gal Gadot is incredibly fit ;) For those that get wound up by this just don't. Of all the things going on in the world now this is right at the bottom of what should wind people up.

Saying that the trailers look pants so I'll wait and watch it at home. Got burnt by Suicide Squad which was such a let down.

Caporegime
Just seen it.

IT wasnt half as bad as i was expecting from the badpress.

Sure its a bit women can do anything but its a god damn comic book film.

She plays her roll well, just about the right level of ridiculous and crazy.

I was entertained for the duration and ill probably forget everything by next week.

The narration and 4th wall breaking seem a staple for whacky characters now and it suited her a treat.

People will go and see Marvel films because they make good films. People won't go and see DC films because they've been mostly poor to atrocious.
I disagree. People go see marvel films because of avengers. Watch now and see what numbers a film like captain marvel get if they are brave enough to make a second one. Captain marvel was bad and only got any numbers due to the upcoming end game. Marvel knew this and were clever. On a whole marvel movies aren't that great

Caporegime
That doesn't make sense to me, because nobody cared about Iron Man, Captain America or Thor before marvel started making those films.

Then after the first avengers, really left-field characters like the Guardians of the Galaxy were wildly popular.

Commissario
I disagree. People go see marvel films because of avengers. Watch now and see what numbers a film like captain marvel get if they are brave enough to make a second one. Captain marvel was bad and only got any numbers due to the upcoming end game. Marvel knew this and were clever. On a whole marvel movies aren't that great
People go to see Marvel films because they know that Marvel can put out a decent film and by now have a track record of 20+ films with only one or two bad ones early on (the Hulk).

Captain Marvel was quite a reasonable film and oddly enough IIRC they are already making a second one....

Also as Vincent says, the Guardians were second tier Marvel and Groot and Rocket were not even "A team" Guardians:p

Thinking back most of the "MCU" characters were not the top tier Marvel characters, they were mainly the ones that Marvel hadn't managed to licence out in the 80's and 90's when they were desperate for cash (Spiderman, The Xmen and Fantastic 4 were probably the characters most people knew about prior to Captain America and the Avengers).

Don
They'll still be billion dollar films, but I agree, with the loss of Chris Evans, Hemsworth and most particularly Downey Jr, they now lack the really charismatic characters and they'll struggle to replace them with the same level.

it's not just the actors that will be missing but also the main draw which is the big tie in that they all had to avengers. i keep going back to captain marvel because it's the most freshest, but i know not one single person that said they saw that film for any reason other than because they heard captain marvel is important in end game and they don't want to be confused watching end game when she does whatever she does. in the end she was rubbish as was her film.

Back
Top Bottom