• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ryzen 5 3600 Discussion Thread

Pet Northerner
Don
Interesting, Do some trouble shooting, set the RAM at stock if you haven't already and run that again.

Next take out one stick and run it with just the one stick in, put that stick back and take the other out, run it again, then put that stick in the other 3 slots.

What you are looking for is a defective stick or a defective slot, if you still see this issue after you have done all that send the CPU and / or Motherboard back on RMA.

Holw long have you had the CPU, MB and RAM?

That's the plan of action when I get home tonight.

I took delivery of all three yesterday from OCUK, along with the GPU and an SSD

Caporegime
That's the plan of action when I get home tonight.

I took delivery of all three yesterday from OCUK, along with the GPU and an SSD

You have 14 day no quibble right to return, if your RAM trouble shooting doesn't yield a diagnosis send the MB, and CPU back, and RAM if you want piece of mind, explain why, explain your trouble shooting steps and that you can't figure out if its a problem with the MB or CPU or even RAM and that you would like it all replaced.

Pet Northerner
Don
I think that's then plan. I've reached out to OCUK separately via the CS section (no response since last night, but I assume I have a day or two to wait) for further troubleshooting suggestions.

However I may just RMA all 3 back.

Associate
@GregI what GPU are you running? FPS drops seems to be a common issue with Nvidia drivers at the moment...

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...e-44219-game-ready-driver-feedback-thread-re/

RTX 2060 Super. I had these drops even on the 141 drivers and GPU utilization is around 40% in Afterburner. I got in contact with my retailer and they said this is normal behavior of my CPU because I don't have an aftermarket cooler.

The more I look into my specific use case of high frame rates, it just seems to be a problem of Ryzen in general. Overwatch is very sensitive to RAM speed at high frame rates and apparently having 3600Mhz RAM on Intel would be fine but I would need to hit around 3800Mhz on Ryzen for this to match. The problem is I don't know if my chip will be ok at 1900 FCLK and I have no idea how to check.

Soldato
RTX 2060 Super. I had these drops even on the 141 drivers and GPU utilization is around 40% in Afterburner. I got in contact with my retailer and they said this is normal behavior of my CPU because I don't have an aftermarket cooler.

The more I look into my specific use case of high frame rates, it just seems to be a problem of Ryzen in general. Overwatch is very sensitive to RAM speed at high frame rates and apparently having 3600Mhz RAM on Intel would be fine but I would need to hit around 3800Mhz on Ryzen for this to match. The problem is I don't know if my chip will be ok at 1900 FCLK and I have no idea how to check.
What frame rate are you aiming for? I hit 144+ FPS with literal max settings (100% scaling) at 1440p with my setup (see sig) so surely you can hit stupid high frame rates with just a few settings lowered.

Associate
What frame rate are you aiming for? I hit 144+ FPS with literal max settings (100% scaling) at 1440p with my setup (see sig) so surely you can hit stupid high frame rates with just a few settings lowered.

240+fps at 1080p 75% render. It's not possible right now with a stock cooler 3600, 2060 Super and C14 3600Mhz. The problem is it's NEARLY possible with dips down to 220 but usually around 250 in team fights. I can easily keep above 180fps at 1440p. That's why I was trying to figure out if getting better boost clocks in here would solve my framerate dips but even all core 4.1Ghz would dip. I can only assume 3800Mhz RAM would solve my issue.

Associate
Sorry for double post but thought about this more. I know it's never advised to do this but what happens if I uncouple my memory and fclk speed? Ryzen DRAM is saying I can run my memory at 4,000Mhz C16

If RAM speed is my issue and running 4,000 would help me, does running uncoupled mean I would not be able to see the benefit unless they were coupled?

Decided to try 1900 FCLK just to see: https://i.imgur.com/NIuvBQY.png

After 2 minutes of Overwatch, PC rebooted but from limited use it seemed to really help. Any way to get this stable? I know I can lower RAM timings too. That was my 4,000 Mhz timings to see f the PC would boot. I might be able to squeeze a low 65.

Associate
240+fps at 1080p 75% render. It's not possible right now with a stock cooler 3600, 2060 Super and C14 3600Mhz. The problem is it's NEARLY possible with dips down to 220 but usually around 250 in team fights. I can easily keep above 180fps at 1440p. That's why I was trying to figure out if getting better boost clocks in here would solve my framerate dips but even all core 4.1Ghz would dip. I can only assume 3800Mhz RAM would solve my issue.

I really believe you are just asking too much from the 2060 Super. Check this review which includes Overwatch.

https://www.tabletowo.pl/test-gainward-rtx-2060-super/

Got to use Google translate. Maybe a 2070 Super will fair better.

Try and use these settings used by this guy in the vid.

https://youtu.be/v7LjGIi7H7Q

Last edited:
Associate
Try and use these settings used by this guy in the vid.

https://youtu.be/v7LjGIi7H7Q

I use even worse settings than he does (literally everything off 75% render). I know people on Intel hardware who have a 1060 and can keep above 240. That video is really unfortunate that he picked that map because Havana is one of the few well optimized maps in the game and this is one of the videos I watched while making my decision on hardware, kind of unlucky. Even my setup won't dip below 270 on it. It's the other maps like Ilios that test a system.

I also remember thinking it was GPU so I set resolution to 720p (1080p 50% scale) and it was such an insignificant amount of processing for the GPU it actually down clocked itself. Still got frame drops... lol. I just think AMD is just not suited for high fps gaming on the budget side of their chips like the 3600. 4Ghz clock speed with a limit on what ram speed you can run is a big issue. Granted targeting > say 150 fps is a really niche area literally 0 gamers care about but still something to consider as 360 fps monitors become apparent in the next year or so.

Caporegime
3600 vs 9600K Overwhatch 1080P Low settings. 2080TI

https://www.gpucheck.com/compare-ga...d-ryzen-5-3600-vs-intel-core-i5-9600k-3-70ghz

Identical performance, which means the 2080TI is the bottleneck, not the 3600 or the 9600K.

Hpvjwpk.png

@GregI is there anything we can play together, any free to play game where you would like to compare performance with me? My CPU has no trouble getting as much as 800 FPS+ in games like CS:GO, 300+ in Insurgency....

Soldato
Do you have FreeSync/G-Sync? If so I highly doubt you will ever notice FPS dipping from 240 to 220.

Caporegime
Or Free-Sync? Depending on the monitor refresh rate Free-Sync will lock the FPS to the monitor refresh rate in multiples, 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x.... so for me with a 75Hz Monitor it will lock my FPS to 75Hz - 150Hz - 225Hz - 300Hz............... if the system can't reach 225Hz it will lock it to 150Hz.

I run Free-Sync + G-Sync in combination.

Caporegime
Overwatch

And for science... CS:GO is DX9, it doesn't use more than a couple of threads and with that is able to run in a single CCX, its a true Core IPC + huge L3 Cache demo without the Inter CCX latency, bring on 8 core CCX Ryzen 4000 ;)

lZnvgHh.png

1wbZ1xg.png

Back
Top Bottom