• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
OK so I read comments as the vid was unplayed above displaying the ghetto openbox build. Doesnt take any effort to calculate this is a waste of brain effort to conclude what you guys were saying lol. It just needs
That video was edit since I last looked at it. There was a lot of discussion of her problems while filming the video with the video card on her PC bench. I recall back then people were complaining about the issues they found wrong with her set up. I can only assume that she just edited that part out to show that she wasn't using the 430 watt PSU. Which makes her claims and video extremely suspicious and misleading.

This example makes it all too easy to conclude that this was a facetious claim on driver problems.

As for the Articles posted now where were they for in 5 months ago? This is as late as AMD fixing it. There is some sort of Consortium about these articles being published all at once which draws suspicion on it.

This isn't something that has happened a month ago we're talkin 5 + months ago. And most of these websites have forms and which these topics were discussed months and months ago. That was the time to bring up the issue.

Soldato
All coming out now, NAAF, Good Old Gamer, RTGs getting slaughtered.

EDIT: WCCF now too.

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-gpu-drivers-are-a-mess-black-screen-stuttering-flickering-issues/

It's funny how this stuff works.. same when nvidia last got a bashing. Very few dares to say anything but the second a single or 2 techtubers have banded together to give a company a bashing the rest follows like flies on dog ****.

I personally don't understand the sudden huge negativity, its like its the popular thing to do right now. Sure RTG got stuff to fix and it should have happened yesterday but this is just crazy.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
That video was edit since I last looked at it...And most of these websites have forms and which these topics were discussed months and months ago. That was the time to bring up the issue.

Yeah but it doesnt help all the tech reviewers have either colluded together, or even sadder - copying each others material of making an issue that like you say was a thing some 5 months ago. What's poorer is the reviewers arent really experiencing major issues but their 'viewers' have reported issues. Then you just look at the quality of that video above regarding the technical caliber and put it all together.

Soldato
It's funny how this stuff works.. same when nvidia last got a bashing. Very few dares to say anything but the second a single or 2 techtubers have banded together to give a company a bashing the rest follows like flies on dog ****.

I personally don't understand the sudden huge negativity, its like its the popular thing to do right now. Sure RTG got stuff to fix and it should have happened yesterday but this is just crazy.

Jump on the train to get those page hits! Any Nvidia advertising/sponsorship probably helps too.

Associate
Jump on the train to get those page hits! Any Nvidia advertising/sponsorship probably helps too.
It couldn't possibly be a smear campaign started by the competition who having just announced impressive quarterly results are now eyeing to take the gloss away from AMD's Financial Analyst Day in 3 weeks time when the "nvidia killer" is expected to be announced? Nah, can't be that

Soldato
AMD made $2.5bn profit out of $6bn revenue last year.....

It's time they hired a couple dozen leading Driver Technicians, maybe poach some off Nvidia.

But did RTG contribute much to that?

It couldn't possibly be a smear campaign started by the competition who having just announced impressive quarterly results are now eyeing to take the gloss away from AMD's Financial Analyst Day in 3 weeks time when the "nvidia killer" is expected to be announced? Nah, can't be that

:confused:eh, the driver issue has been a known problem for a while its in the release notes.

Soldato
If anyone's interested I tried out Chill tonight with a minimum of 60 and max of 140 and yeah, it didn't chill very much, playing Hunt my temps are always the same and with Chill on the temps were the same as they always have been

To be fair it usually averages around 70fps so you wouldn't expect any difference anyway with a minimum of 60 but it did introduce a negative, fans ramping up and down in the menu, touch the mouse and the FPS goes up and the fans follow, found that annoying tbh

I'll keep it like that for a bit and try some other games but it seems you would have to be happy with dropping it lower to get any real benefit from it which I'm not willing to do and I would imagine most other pc gamers aren't either. To me the minimum side of it seems a little pointless

Associate
If anyone's interested I tried out Chill tonight with a minimum of 60 and max of 140 and yeah, it didn't chill very much, playing Hunt my temps are always the same and with Chill on the temps were the same as they always have been

To be fair it usually averages around 70fps so you wouldn't expect any difference anyway with a minimum of 60 but it did introduce a negative, fans ramping up and down in the menu, touch the mouse and the FPS goes up and the fans follow, found that annoying tbh

I'll keep it like that for a bit and try some other games but it seems you would have to be happy with dropping it lower to get any real benefit from it which I'm not willing to do and I would imagine most other pc gamers aren't either. To me the minimum side of it seems a little pointless
Try those limits with a game that normally exceeds 144 fps. I'd be surprised if your average breaks 100 which kind of negates the point of a 144hz screen. Unless power is a big concern for you, set to 140-140 and forget about it

Edit: Do you undervolt and set a custom fan curve?

Soldato
Try those limits with a game that normally exceeds 144 fps. I'd be surprised if your average breaks 100 which kind of negates the point of a 144hz screen. Unless power is a big concern for you, set to 140-140 and forget about it

Edit: Do you undervolt and set a custom fan curve?

Yeah stuff it CBA messing around so I'll just set 140/140 and crack on

Cheers

Soldato
Does Radeon Chill work with Radeon FreeSync™ technology?
Radeon Chill is an excellent match with a Radeon FreeSync™ technology capable display.1

Does Radeon Chill replace FRTC (Frame Rate Target Control)?
No. It currently does not, however Radeon Chill does have similar behavior for capping FPS at maximum limits when set per game.2

Chill is designed to save power and lower temps. It does seem to work in certain titles and maybe the game you target doesnt work with it. The hack method seems a shame as in theory you should toggle it on and that's it.

Soldato
Yeah should have brought all this out months ago, around the time the issues started, not gave them a good few months to fix the issues first, before doing it.

:p
Wasn't it rumored that AMD will release their high end Navi cards in March? Well, there's the smoking gun. It's been rumored for a while that this Navi, Navi21, isn't Big Navi but will still beat the 2080ti. Now I found that a little hard to believe. But with all news of AMD driver issues being sold on the interwebs I'm starting believe that the rumor that this new card will beat 2080ti is true.

The last time Radeon had a product that beat Nvidia there were a huge push from, back then the Nvidia Focus Group, to forward the agenda of Radeon Drivers sucks. And the timing is exactly the same, just before we knew what the new Radeon GPU could do (back then ATI).

That's why the timing of this is the smoking gun. We know that AMD is releasing a new gpu soon. We also know that the driver issues being made public now is over 5 months old. The only conclusion, if you recall, is that this is a pre-emptive attack to weaken this new gpu that is set to beat the 2080ti.

Also, note that most of the article precursor themselves from being libel by saying "they aren't experiencing the issue themselves". That's should tell you something.

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure it's a smoking gun but the motive is certainly there, timing kind of fits (although the killer card is only being announced next month, not released) and dirty tricks certainly isn't beyond nvidia. I love a conspiracy

Soldato
Not sure it's a smoking gun but the motive is certainly there, timing kind of fits (although the killer card is only being announced next month, not released) and dirty tricks certainly isn't beyond nvidia. I love a conspiracy
We would have to wait and see.

However, meanwhile back at Nvidia they release driver 442.19 and the complaints are huge:
-gpu overheating
-flickering
-games not launching
-blurry text
-CTD
-artifacts
-frame rate drops
-etc
https://youtu.be/BFX6m5Jahsk

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...e-44219-game-ready-driver-feedback-thread-re/

This is one the worst drivers Nvidia release in a while. Where are the articles on these issues?
Do we see any articles about it to "bring it to light":
GN
A/TV
Hardware Unbox
The Good Ole Gamer
NAF

??
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/ey8akk/game_ready_studio_driver_44219_faqdiscussion/
Comments here are golden, LOL.

Soldato
The only bollokk AMD dropped since the 5 month driver fiasco was the hash of the 5600xt release where they panicked and tripped over the BIOS update to vendors before release. Obviously they had headroom to clock them further and nvidia called their bluff by reducing the 2060 prices.

With that said, all AMD need to do is produce a solid WHQL driver that has plugged the holes in the regular gaffs over the next month to close that door.

Back
Top Bottom