Man city escape ban! Or did they? [Update 6/2/23]

Don
I understand this is breaking but the BBC has a comment from man city that they are disappointed with the verdict but not surprised and they will appeal?

Surely by not being surprised that acknowledges that they have done exactly what they've been found guilty of? So what is there to appeal?
City are unhappy with how the matter has been dealt with, basically saying they were found guilty before the investigation began.

Man of Honour
I'd love if this is like a red card appeal, and if they lose they get a longer suspension :D

If it's upheld for next season, this makes the CL race even more interesting.

Happy news imo, it's a decent punishment and much better than just a small fine.

I'd still say docking points would also work but this is much better than there initial pocket money fine

I would've thought UEFA wouldn't be able to dock points in the PL, and it seems pointless to do it in the CL group stages too.

Don
Dale Johnson seems confident that CAS will hear the appeal before the start of next season. City could actually miss out on the CL next season. That really does throw the cat amongst the pigeons. Sheffield Utd in the CL.
I would've thought UEFA wouldn't be able to dock points in the PL, and it seems pointless to do it in the CL group stages too.
The PL have their own FFP remember. If UEFA successfully prove that City didn't just break FFP limits but they lied and cheated their way around them then there will be huge pressure on the PL to investigate and take their own action.

Soldato
They'll almost certainly be in the CL next season. There's little chance that the appeal will be heard before the start of next season and even if City lose, even if it's reduced to 1 season, they'll fight this is every court possible. We know from all the leaked documents that City have previously threatened to take UEFA to the cleaners if they tried to punish them and I don't think they're bluffing.

If City ultimately lose and are banned from the CL in a season where they've finished in the top 4 then yes, 5th place would take their spot.

Depends if they take the same stance as they did with Chelsea, who also appealed but were still banned.

Don
I have to say there's a cynical part of me that thinks this is all a bit of a sham and that UEFA fully expect to lose an appeal to CAS. UEFA will get to pretend that they done their part, City remain in the CL and UEFA don't end up bankrupt. You have to remember that the initial punishments handed to City and PSG were cop-outs with the FFP disciplinary panel wanting to ban City but Infantino negotiating a compromise of a slap on the wrist.
Depends if they take the same stance as they did with Chelsea, who also appealed but were still banned.
This isn't quite right. Chelsea received a 2 transfer window ban and appealed to CAS. In normal circumstances Chelsea could have had the ban suspended until the outcome of the appeal however Chelsea chose not to request this, reportedly as they feared that would result in a longer ban if they were unsuccessful. In the end Chelsea had their ban reduced from 2 windows to 1.

Man of Honour
So will this mean that 5th place will be a CL slot?? Thats some serious motivation for the likes of Sheff Utd. Theres no way in hell Pep will sit at City for 2 years with no CL

Don
If the ban is upheld does that mean top 5 get champions league?
You mean 5th place I assume and yes that would be the case if the ban is upheld and begins next season. It would also mean that, assuming City beat Villa in the League Cup Final, 8th place would qualify for the 2nd round qualifiers for the Europa League which is good news for Utd.

Caporegime
I'm sure the appeal will halve or wipe out the ban. However one of the charges are that they seriously misled UEFA which sounds quite serious.

Back
Top Bottom